World Football League (Sun Added 2/19/2014)

BrianVlietDesign

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From 1974-1975, the World Football League was in operation. Despite that short time of existence they broke boundaries by having teams with singular names, putting clubs in cities without professional football, and even stole some of the NFL's top talent. In 1990, the World League of American Football was formed and brought American football to new heights in Europe. Eventually the league would become NFL Europe until it's folding in 2007.

The year is 2012 and it's been 5 years since NFL Europe's teams have been in operation. Artist, entrepreneur, and sports enthusiast, Brian Vliet, joins forces with television entrepreneur, Ted Turner, as well as some of the original operators of the WFL to create a Spring developmental league set to begin operations in 2014. The model is looked upon as a reincarnation of the World Football League with teams in North America and across the globe. While the World Football League will operate independently from the NFL and have no team affiliations. Every WFL team has their own owner and may sign whatever players they like. They can be from the NFL, CFL, Arena, semi-pros, foreign, etc. No limits. However, if a player does well in the WFL they may also participate in the NFL, but only after the WFL season has finished.

The WFL's season will consist of 13 weeks with no pre-season. Games will be held on Saturday afternoons around 4 pm and as well as a weekly Friday night match between two selected clubs on the schedule in what will be called Friday World Football. Games will be televised on both TBS and TNT. Friday World Football will exclusively be on TBS. Playoffs will consist of the league's 16 best teams. Two teams will eventually play for the Gary Davidson Trophy at the World Bowl which will be played on May 31. The WFL has made it clear that they want to have teams in markets that are normally unthinkable for the NFL.

With that said, this will be a project that may some time to complete. But, I'm committed to it and want to see it through. From logos to uniforms, to fields and more. To start the project off I present to you the teams of the WFL and the World Football League's official logo and division logos.

Official Logo:

WorldFootballLeague.png

WFLAmerEast.png
American East Division:
Birmingham Vulcans
Florida Blazers
Hartford Surge
Kentucky Thoroughbreds
Milwaukee Blitz
Virginia Southstars
WFLAmerWest.png
American West Division:
Boise Trappers
(Honolulu) The Hawaiians
Oklahoma City Wranglers
Omaha Pioneers
Portland Storm
Los Angeles Sun
Logo 1 - Logo 2 - Home - Away
Logo - Home - Away
WFLInter.png
International Division:
Barcelona Dragons
Berlin Thunder
Frankfurt Galaxy
London Crusaders
Monterrey Dons
Tokyo Blast

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was hoping to see Milwaukee in this.

Either way, the logos look great and I'm looking forward to this series!

Well, it's funny you say that. Because right now I'm tossing around New York and Milwaukee. I had Milwaukee originally as the Rough Riders. But, I could still make a change.

Was hoping to see Milwaukee in this.

Either way, the logos look great and I'm looking forward to this series!

Well, it's funny you say that. Because right now I'm tossing around New York and Milwaukee. I had Milwaukee originally as the Rough Riders. But, I could still make a change.

I went ahead and made the New York team a Milwaukee franchise. They'll be called the Millers unless a better name can be suggested.

I like Blitz, Barons, Breakers, Outlaws, Thunder (Harley theme) and Gulls for a team in Milwaukee. Knights would also work if you named them for Wisconsin instead (Wisconsinites/Wisconsin Knights).

I like Blitz, Barons, Breakers, Outlaws, Thunder (Harley theme) and Gulls for a team in Milwaukee. Knights would also work if you named them for Wisconsin instead (Wisconsinites/Wisconsin Knights).

Blitz and Barons are really cool. I may have to mull those over a bit.

Not sure how you would make three divisions work out.

There are no byes in the playoffs. You'll have the three division winners at the top three slots and then the other 5 teams at the bottom. Basically a seed system of 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, and 4 vs. 5

You have Portland, Hawaii, Southern California, Birmingham and Florida but no San Antonio? San Antonio had a WFL team and is a bigger city than many of the cities you have here.

I wanted to give other cities a chance and then expand from there. In due time, I'll make an addition of San Antonio. Just not now.

No Franchise for San Antonio?

You have Portland, Hawaii, Southern California, Birmingham and Florida but no San Antonio? San Antonio had a WFL team and is a bigger city than many of the cities you have here.

As a guy from Omaha, you guys need to calm down and let us have a chance to shine. :P

All of the images aren't showing for me, but I'm really excited to see where this goes!

Archived