Super Bowl XLIX Logo Unveiled

sportsfan0518

Marketing wise, there has to be a reason why the Super Bowl turned to going with a "corporate" logo versus their old personable logos.

I can't imagine why this would be the case, But I don't see why the NFL would make this decision without having an overall objective from it. Citing laziness on the NFLs part just doesn't make sense.

They are BRANDING the Super Bowl. What can be more corporate than that? You can't have a real brand that changes its logo every year.

Before this, (from a brand/logo standpoint) the Super Bowl was a year-to-year event. Super Bowl XXXI was its own event, Super Bowl XXXII was its own event, etc. Each representing 1 season, 1 city. With the consistant logo they are branding this as an annual event that is connected to each Super Bowl every year. this is THE SUPER BOWL. Not the 2003 Super Bowl, 2004 Super Bowl etc. This is THE SUPER BOWL.

I know we love new and interesting logos and were always excited to see what the new logo would look like every year, but from a marketing/branding standpoint it really doesnt make sense to change a logo every year.

You do realize that on a website dedicated to sports logos, that pretty much no one is going to agree with this line of reasoning.....

But at some point even the most staunch critics of the new style of SB logo need to stop bitching and take it for what it is. I'm all for colorful open dialogue and constructive criticism, but we are way past that point and starting to border on moaning, whining, and incessant bitching. It's here and it ain't going away anytime soon...so come to peace with it. It's getting kind of old to read the same predictable and tired comments year after year. Its not that bad.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SB49_Primary_Regional_date_rgb_zpsc3f660

What is the point of the cactuses (or cacti for plural)? They would be really hard to see on a patch, and they don't really stick out either.

What's the point of the whole region logo in general. You can barely see the cacti and the cliffs, at least last years logo made the skylines noticeable.

SB49_Primary_Regional_date_rgb_zpsc3f660

What is the point of the cactuses (or cacti for plural)? They would be really hard to see on a patch, and they don't really stick out either.

What's the point of the whole region logo in general. You can barely see the cacti and the cliffs, at least last years logo made the skylines noticeable.

The skyline did look better than the desert looks in this logo, but there is a good chance the flat 2D version of this might look better like last years.

The skyline did look better than the desert looks in this logo, but there is a good chance the flat 2D version of this might look better like last years.

This is the Regional 5-Color Embroidery Mark for use 4" or larger:

SuperBowl49_EMR0100a_2014_SCC_SRGB.png

I'm trying to get all of the different RGB versions created; some of these take a while to do.

This is the Regional 5-Color Embroidery Mark for use 4" or larger:

SuperBowl49_EMR0100a_2014_SCC_SRGB.png

I'm trying to get all of the different RGB versions created; some of these take a while to do.

Any access to the secondary script logos? Or an idea what they look like?

I had the honor of attending Super Bowl Media Day at the Prudential Center, and it was a great experience. While I was there, the NFL was handing out goody bags that came with various items from NFL sponsors. Long story short, the in the goody bag there was a pamphlet that said, "See you in Arizona!" and on it had the Super Bowl XLIX logo on it. Here is the front and back of it.

140wv2t.jpg

2ebyi2q.jpg

I tried my best to make a transparent logo of it, and here it is:

qov9fb.png

Like all of us, I'm disappointed and angry that the NFL is continuing this awful trend of generic Super Bowl logos. There's not much we can do about it, and thats the worst part of this. What are your thoughts?

No!! Not again! :(

fiowXOD.png

There is actually a very simple solution to this. I'm so surprised I didn't think of it sooner.

1. The trophy itself is ALWAYS silver/silver gradients, etc. This handles the branding aspect. You use the trophy alone on the field, etc. The trophy itself becomes a mandatory element of every Super Bowl logo. Somewhere. In some configuration. Baseline is 4 inches in height for the trophy, and everything else is scaled to that.

2. The remainder of the logo is in full color - city color - theme color - whatever. This is for regional/national use. It can also be for TV graphics. Thus the trophy is silver, but everything else might be red, white, blue, or gold, purple, green, or aqua, orange, blue, or whatever.

3. Embroidery uses a 4-color trophy/grey gradient approach.

Boom. done. Simple. Makes sense. Branding + uniqueness, etc.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

• 6 months later...

Could this be the secondary logo?

xlix.jpg

I screen capped it from the nfl.com Super Bowl page.

That's part of the branding package - they have alternate graphics each year.

The XLIX package is in various shades of Purple, Orange and Gray.

Could this be the secondary logo? xlix.jpg I screen capped it from the nfl.com Super Bowl page.

That's part of the branding package - they have alternate graphics each year.The XLIX package is in various shades of Purple, Orange and Gray.

Slap a Lombardi on top of that, changes things up just a little.

2mow2dk.jpg2j2sx87.jpgscz0cx.jpgkdsrir.jpg

Marketing wise, there has to be a reason why the Super Bowl turned to going with a "corporate" logo versus their old personable logos.

I can't imagine why this would be the case, But I don't see why the NFL would make this decision without having an overall objective from it. Citing laziness on the NFLs part just doesn't make sense.

They are BRANDING the Super Bowl. What can be more corporate than that? You can't have a real brand that changes its logo every year.

Before this, (from a brand/logo standpoint) the Super Bowl was a year-to-year event. Super Bowl XXXI was its own event, Super Bowl XXXII was its own event, etc. Each representing 1 season, 1 city. With the consistant logo they are branding this as an annual event that is connected to each Super Bowl every year. this is THE SUPER BOWL. Not the 2003 Super Bowl, 2004 Super Bowl etc. This is THE SUPER BOWL.

I know we love new and interesting logos and were always excited to see what the new logo would look like every year, but from a marketing/branding standpoint it really doesnt make sense to change a logo every year.

You do realize that on a website dedicated to sports logos, that pretty much no one is going to agree with this line of reasoning.....

But at some point even the most staunch critics of the new style of SB logo need to stop bitching and take it for what it is. I'm all for colorful open dialogue and constructive criticism, but we are way past that point and starting to border on moaning, whining, and incessant bitching. It's here and it ain't going away anytime soon...so come to peace with it. It's getting kind of old to read the same predictable and tired comments year after year. Its not that bad.

I get the whole unifying thing, but once the host sites go through another rotation these logos are going to start being exactly the same. Like once Arlington is the host again are we going to have the same exact logo as the 2010 Super Bowl, just with a different number slapped on?

Also, speaking of the numbers. Are they scrapping the roman numerals from 50 on? Or was that just an obvious design choice?

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Could this be the secondary logo?

xlix.jpg

I screen capped it from the nfl.com Super Bowl page.

The secondary just screams "1985" to me for some reason, while reminding me of this:

1280px-Super_Bowl_XIX_Logo.svg.png

I was going to say that it looks dated. It looks like something from the 70s or 80s.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why I was thinking about this tonight, but I've decided that I'm fine with "SUPER BOWL XLIX" end zones and team logos on the 20 or 25. Having different logoed (is that a word?) end-zones looks silly. Discuss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived