Tracy Ringolsby: "Portland ready, willing and hoping" for MLB

Brian in Boston

Tracy Ringolsby - columnist for MLB.com and Baseball America, as well as a contributor on MLB Network - claims "that there is a growing effort to bring a (Major League Baseball) franchise" to Portland, Oregon.

On MLB.com, Ringolsby writes:

"Portland's backers of baseball have the blueprint for a state-of-the-art baseball-only stadium, which would have a retractable roof and seat 35,000. They have community support, including that of the current city administration. A site, endorsed by mayor Charlie Hales, has been chosen, next to Memorial Coliseum and the new Rose Garden, home of the NBA's Trailblazers.

"'We have the land and the infrastructure,' said architect Barry Smith.

"The supporters believe they can find an ownership group, possibly a major Japanese firm, along the lines of Nintendo, which owns the Seattle Mariners."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140122&content_id=66946688&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Make of it what you will.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id say give them a expansion team along with Omaha/Richmond/Indy/Nashville i mean they almost got the nats correct?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If MLB does decide to expand, I think Montreal's getting the second expansion team (they seem to have the most momentum right about now-keep in mind I decided to keep rivalries in mind when making this)

AL NORTH
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
AL SOUTH
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
AL EAST
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
AL WEST
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Oakland Athletics
Portland TBD
Seattle Mariners
NL NORTH
Chicago Cubs
Milwaukee Brewers
Pittsburgh Pirates
St. Louis Cardinals
NL SOUTH
Atlanta Braves
Cincinnati Reds
Colorado Rockies
Miami Marlins
NL EAST
Montreal TBD
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals
NL WEST
Arizona Diamondbacks
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

bYhYmxh.png

Good for Portland. I found this forum 10+ years ago thanks to the old Oregon Stadium Campaign site. Maury Brown pops up here every once in a while, maybe he can shed some light.

And until Oakland and Tampa Bay get their futures figured out, expansion is likely off the table. But 32 MLB teams intrigues me.

id say give them a expansion team along with Omaha/Richmond/Indy/Nashville i mean they almost got the nats correct?

Indy will never happen. Not big enough for a 3rd Major League team. Plus, this is RedsCubsCards territory. Everyone is a fan of one of those teams.

I think it's much more likely that another team moves to Portland... probably the Rays.

Them, or the A's. If you presume that San Jose is a non-starter (as I do).

As someone who used to go to Beaver games in the early 1990s, I'd love to see this happen. I was also a regular on the OSC site so long ago. But I'm very skeptical. This is the city that chose Major League Soccer over AAA baseball, and hasn't had any baseball at all above short-season single-A in three years, with none on the horizon.

Would need to see these ballpark plans before we could begin to gauge their seriousness.

Your point? Cause Richmond was a finalist for Montreal like Portland was, and ohama was talked about as a baseball expansion city. Indy and Nashville might be long shots as well as Charlotte.

Laughably unlikely in most of those cases. There isn't the untapped population base to support a baseball team in those markets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think his point was those are always the names trotted out (although he missed Vegas), and they're all extremely unlikely.

If I'm not mistaken, the NHL has seemed very interested in Vegas recently.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

rams80, on 31 Jan 2014 - 12:10, said:snapback.png

lilben777, on 31 Jan 2014 - 12:08, said:snapback.png

Your point? Cause Richmond was a finalist for Montreal like Portland was, and ohama was talked about as a baseball expansion city. Indy and Nashville might be long shots as well as Charlotte.

Richmond was not a finalist for the Expos/Nats. Northern Virginia and Norfolk were, in addition to Portland and Vegas, and were only really finalists in theory. Nashville doesn't seem to have any interest in baseball as shown by their lack of desire to build a new stadium for the Sounds or any baseball team. Omaha is minor league and college baseball only, no real shot for MLB. Indy looks intriguing due to two big four teams, but still doesn't seem likely.

I think his point was those are always the names trotted out (although he missed Vegas), and they're all extremely unlikely.

If I'm not mistaken, the NHL has seemed very interested in Vegas recently.

Possibly. But their needs in a market are not baseball's.

Also, the NHL is run by idiots.

Nashville doesn't seem to have any interest in baseball as shown by their lack of desire to build a new stadium for the Sounds or any baseball team.

Not to derail the thread, but, in December of last year, the Nashville Metro Council approved a $65 million financing plan for a new ballpark to play host to the Triple A Nashville Sounds.

The plan calls for Nashville Metro government to spend $38 million on stadium construction, $22 million on land acquisition, and $5 million in capitalization interest. The Sounds will not put any money directly into construction of the ballpark, but team owner Frank Ward has pledged to spend $60 million on a residential and commercial development near the facility. An estimated $750,000 in annual property tax payments would pay down ballpark debt.

Nashville Metro government will own the ballpark, to be located in the city's Sulpur Dell neighborhood, and lease the facility to the Sounds for 30 years. Metro government will be responsible for capital expenses necessary to keep the ballpark in good condition, such as roof and seat repairs/replacement. The Sounds will operate and manage the ballpark and be responsible for all other maintenance costs.

Ground was broken for the new ballpark this past Monday.

http://www.tennessea...ground-ballpark

No, not at all "a legit shot at an MLB team". Still, it's certainly an indication that Nashville is interested in maintaining the minor-league baseball franchise that it has played host to for 36 years.

As for Portland, it will interesting to see if anything comes of the efforts of the city's "backers of baseball".

Archived