OHL Re-Brand (entire league complete) *OUTDOOR CLASSIC ADDED*

_nxche

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erie Otters

2mphf06.jpg

Well, this was a tough one. I didn't know where to start, with the cluttered logo and terrible colour palette in the way of formulating any sort of ideas. First thing I had to do was fix the logo, so I did. Taking the focal point (if there is one) and isolating it was the best solution. Once I was able to do that, and simplify it I started developing ideas. I needed a unique striping pattern to coexist with the logo. I felt like the wavy double blue jersey stripes work well with the logo and the brand. I'm bracing myself because I know that wavy stripes aren't really popular, but I'm open to try new things with this set!

Whalers up next!

xOwzChW.jpg

Plymouth Whalers

zpeoi.jpg

Soon you will see that I have relegated the Saginaw Spirit and rebranded them to a Canadian city, leaving but one team in Michigan! I've simplified the logo substantially, getting rid of clutter and giving the Whale stronger facial characteristics. The jerseys are clearly Hartford inspired, with a bit of a twist. Mainly, the home sleeves have a Red Wing-esque contrasting sleeve- which is fitting since Plymouth is a Detroit suburb. From what I've heard, the Whaler fans are very fond of their club and represent their city and state with pride over the border. So I thought it would be a clever idea to put something that symbolizes Michigan on their road jerseys, and opted to put a slight render of their state shield on the shoulder.

25zi6o4.jpg

The alternate follows the same suit, with a (somewhat) Hartford inspired striping pattern. I also made the logo black for nostalgic and colour balance purposes.

C&C is always appreciated, might put the Soo up next, unless somebody requests one before I finish it up.

xOwzChW.jpg

Sault St. Marie Greyhounds

fne8vr.jpg

The Soo branding is simplistic to a tee, but I don't think they NEED to use the Red Wings jersey to showcase that simplicity. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad by any stretch of the word, but there could be better (and slightly more original). Initially I wanted the hound front and center, not confined to the circle. I feel like on their current jerseys you could forget that the hound is even there because it lacks in vertical length, and then is made even smaller... that added with overpowering text? Not the best they can do. So I took the (not-so-grey) hound out of the circle and made it much bigger. I kept the stars and the "SOO GREYHOUNDS" for tradition and aesthetic purposes. I wanted to take the roundness out of the jersey and give it that classic, striped look. Essentially what I was going for was a super-retro feel with both jerseys, as if they came out of the early 20's with little to know design refinement.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Hopefully I can showcase all these and start showing you some other leagues and other sports I've been doing. Once again C&C is appreciated, although reception has been positive so far there is bound to be something that could be improved.

Who should I do next? What are your favourite OHL teams?

xOwzChW.jpg

Your concepts are things of beauty _nxche...I especially love Soo, Erie and North Bay. Seems like it would be hard to do the OHL - you're walking a thin line between intentionally keeping a minor/junior league look while still trying to look respectable and avoid looking hokey. You're walking that line quite nicely. Kudos!

Archived