NBA Changes 2014-15 Season

Conrad.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comic Sans should be used for comics. The end. Certainly not on something as serious as that shirt.

I did come across this, apparently somebody agrees: https://ello.co/icantbreathe

I honestly don't get the hate for Comic Sans. It has its place (and no, comics aren't the only place). That being said, the shirt is lame.

While I generally despise Comic Sans outside of comics, an "I Can't Breathe" shirt isn't one of those places. It almost gives a sarcastic feel to it.

I wonder if Dan Gilbert supplied it.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I honestly don't get the hate for Comic Sans. It has its place (and no, comics aren't the only place). That being said, the shirt is lame.

Any small/medium size business that uses comic sans in any media format should have their licenses revoked indefinitely. Any professional that uses comic sans in any sort of media should be terminated immediately.

Papyrus is next up on the list.

Can´t breathe huh ? Poor Lebron, gonna hard for him when he goes into labour

What is wrong with you? Why would you make light of a serious situation?

Where else is Comic Sans acceptable? I can't think of one.

Go A's!

It can be good for anything dealing with children (the cover text for a children's book, a day-care logo, etc).

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

That sounds pretty cool, but has the potential to be disastrous. At least they are going back to something with history, but with modern touch.

Does anyone have any clue about the Rockets changes next season? Are they seriously just going to change the cut and keep the current uniforms, while adding a yellow alternate? That's so damn disappointing. Rockets fans have been begging for a return to the classic uniform and colors, so they give us overkill on yellow when all we wanted was the color used as a highlight as it should be.

Even so, If you're going to stick with the current script, logos, etc. You might as well get a new uniform design altogether. These current unis haven't worked since the mid 2ks when they used that shiny fabric and they used unique numbers. Now they use generic numbers and the rings on the sleeves will look too clustered if you shorten the sleeve cut imo. You would probably have to have both rings join together to form a single sleeve trim. The cut on the neck and trim would have to change completely as well.

A. Jersey design can't be recut due to size of elliptical shoulder stripes. Change was supposed to happen this year but was delayed to next season because of this. Current alternates will be recolored red and white for home & road (alternate font becomes primary - Rockets alluded to font alteration on media day)

2. Get used to the logo. It will stay cause owner likes it. Simple mark that was designed to become instantly recognizable, like interlocking NY. Was designed by Academy Award-winning designer Eiko Ishioka.

3. New Yellow-sleeved Clutch City alternate. Rockets alluded to this on media day.

I did know the jersey cut was postponed til next season. I didn't know why though, so thank you.

I'm i'm having a brain fart right now, but I am not sure i comprehend what you're saying about the recoloring and the font change. The current alternate uniform will be recolored red and white, but what do you mean for home and road? 2 alternates? 1 road red and 1 home white alt +the yellow city pride? Then you mean the "Houston" font that's slanted on the alternates will be used now on the home and away primary uniforms? OR are you saying the current primary uniforms with the loops will be scrapped and replaced by home(white/red) and away(red/white) versions of the current alternate uniforms with the yellow 'Clutch City' uniform being the new alternate?

2. I figured Leslie Alexander wouldn't want to change the logo. I remember reading about the whole instant recognition thing. I disagree. Non sports fans probably just see an 'R' without thinking Houston Rockets. Of course that all changes with history and winning. But, we had that. Back to back championships with one of the most recognizable superstars playing in the most popular time in NBA history, the Jordan years. We've had nothing but bad luck ever since Les changed to that terrible red white and blue brand immediately after winning back to back championships.

Do i hate our logo? No, it's cool. I just find it a bit boring by itself and slightly outdated. I like minimalism but in this case, It looks more like an alternate logo. The best play on our logo i've ever seen is what CSN did with their 3D logo:

a16fcf37925932df41ca4b58d4c146d6.jpg

It gives the logo life. I love it especially because it's a neat way to incorporate a small amount of yellow for the flame. All i wanted was at least an update to the current one. The flames that end up looking like dripping blood annoy me and the hoop that wraps around needs to be updated into something that gives it some, i don't know, more weight? I know Eiko Ishioka did the logo, but did she also design the uniforms as well?

Does anyone have any clue about the Rockets changes next season?

I can say with full certainty that this is the final season for their court. I mean, physically, it's the final season for that piece of woodwork, as they will replace the entire court over the offseason with a new product.

That could mean nothing, but it wouldn't be a shock if some sort of imagery change took place with the opportunity. I can also say that the Rockets are very happy with how their court appears on television.

I do hope they update the floor. It also bores me along with the rest of the brand. I hate 2 tones of wood as well. At least use red on the sidelines like they did for the All Star game last it came to Houston. I wish they got a little more creative like maybe trying to incorporate the loops on the shorts or jerseys to also be inside the paint area maybe or silver or white in the paint if you stick with the Red/Silver/White theme. Just do SOMETHING to make it stand out. I freaking hate the Mavericks and anything Dallas, but i love their home floor(well their logo sucks). The vivid colors and wood really POP on screen and make the place feel full of life. Houston? Not so much. It's just a different mood and vibe when watching Rockets games live or on tv. We've never had a really good home floor in our history though. But, of course they are happy with everything. They don't listen to the countless number of fans on Clutchfans and other places who have been crying out for changes for a long time now.

It can be good for anything dealing with children (the cover text for a children's book, a day-care logo, etc).

Right, hence the origin of its use for comic books. Which is why this "I Can't Breathe" thing doesn't fit with this font.

Go A's!

I'm sorry, but the typeface here is clouding my vision on seeing any kind of message here. I can't describe how much I cringed when I saw this photo (from a design standpoint).

B4X_obqIEAALxqK.jpg

#DesignerProblems

Yea, my reaction too. The font chioice is taking away most of the effect of the message. This photo can actually be used in graphic design education of how a font choice can emphasize/dilute a message.

Are you kidding me!? As a designer, I hate Comic Sans just as much as the rest of you, but really, the font choice dilutes the message? Clearly this wasn't generated by designers because its not about the font, its about the message and has nothing to do with sports. Jesus Christ you guys.

The point that jtrip is trying to make is that you guys should all look beyond the font choice and focus on what's atually important on the shirts: the actual message that they are trying to convey. Everyone on here is probably bothered by the font choice but in no way should we be talking about the font choice when the shirt is designed to make a statement and convey a truly important and valuable message.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I get his point. I'm not an idiot. But this is a design forum. We can talk about design, especially when most of us agree with the cause and want it to be communicated as effectively as it can be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now everyone is wearing those t-shirts, a bit surprised they are allowed to wear shirts with messages on-

-

What for instance the US invaded/attacked a country and you were against it, would you be allowed to wear a shirt with a political message saying perhaps "stop bombing, i can´t breathe" or other clever stuff. where do the league draw the line......there can´t be a line, so you are allowed to wear whatever you want, or is it only what the NBA bosses think is the right opinion ?

Now everyone is wearing those t-shirts, a bit surprised they are allowed to wear shirts with messages on-

-

What for instance the US invaded/attacked a country and you were against it, would you be allowed to wear a shirt with a political message saying perhaps "stop bombing, i can´t breathe" or other clever stuff. where do the league draw the line......there can´t be a line, so you are allowed to wear whatever you want, or is it only what the NBA bosses think is the right opinion ?

Of course there's a line but this something that players have experienced, know people that had stuff like happen to me, this effects the players and they're tired of it. You're not allowed to wear non sanctioned Adidas, it is a violation, the players just won't be fined for it.

Exactly, there was also the thing where some players wore hoddies at warm-up and other places, looks like they only wear statement t-shirts and other things when a black person is wronged (in their opinion), i am sure people of other races have been wronged/beaten/killed by police.........and what about gangs, pretty sure they kill more people then the police does, why don´t the players wear a t-shirt each time a criminal/gangmember kill someone ?

Archived