NBA Changes 2014-15 Season

Conrad.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-19/nba-moving-logo-to-back-of-jerseys-as-owners-mull-uniform-ads.html

NBA Moving Logo to Back of Jerseys as Owners Mull Uniform Ads

The National Basketball Association is moving its logo patch to the back of team jerseys next season, citing stylistic reasons, the league said.

The logo, which depicts a player dribbling with his left hand, had been on the front of both uniform jerseys and shorts.

The switch comes as league owners ponder whether to put advertisements on uniforms for the first time. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver this year said uniform ads, which are common elsewhere in the world, are inevitable. Last year, he said it would probably happen within five years.

Hello Jersey Advertising. Hello, WNBA:

5173be4bc9361.image.jpg

Serious thought:

I wonder if teams who previously had an above-NOB logo will move it to where the NBA logo used to be, or just eliminate it...

This would include Atlanta, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Golden State, Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Sacramento, Toronto, and Washington...aka over half the league.

Atlanta, Sacramento and Washington may have more changes because their collars encompass their above-NOB logos and may have to be altered to fit an NBA logo.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBA logo on the back. This league keeps producing record revenues, and yet it's not enough. Ads will look VERY minor league, and could hurt jersey sales.

Best case scenario, Nike or Adidas pays for that ad space on front left corner

f_gallery.jpg?itok=OlJr-D2f

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say, I think I'll become less of a fan if/when ads come on the uniforms. Which is a shame because it seems as if the NBA is flourishing right now, there's o many great young players. I think it is a great time for the league.

It sucks to think now that if by some divine miracle the Wizards ever win it all, I'll be showing my kids pictures and highlights of it one day, and they might ask "hey why does it say GEICO on their chest? Whats that?"

90758391980.gif

Wouldn't your kids be the ones who thought it was normal?

It sucks to think now that if by some divine miracle the Wizards ever win it all, I'll be showing my kids pictures and highlights of it one day, and they might ask "hey why does it say GEICO on their chest? Whats that?"

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

NBA logo on the back. This league keeps producing record revenues, and yet it's not enough. Ads will look VERY minor league, and could hurt jersey sales.

Best case scenario, Nike or Adidas pays for that ad space on front left corner

well there's no way it would be Nike, but if it was adidas, that would't be the end of the world, unless it served to be only a gateway to bigger / more tacky ads.

If it was adidas, nobody outside of us would even notice, since every other unifrom has the supplier (I won't call them a manufacturer) logo on it.

I like the NBA logo on the sleeve. It's pretty much the only league logo creep that I think looks good (though the NFL shield on the collar doesn't bother me either) because it's just been so consistent over the years that it really does kind of give off that "big time" feeling to a jersey. Even a crap jersey like the original raptors could be taken a little bit seriously because it bore the same marks as the Bulls classics and others like that.

That being said, I wish the space above the NOB could be used exclusively for supplier marks (in NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA if they go that way) and keep the front and sleeves clean - especially the NFL. They'd have to ban long hair though to get NIke or anyone else to buy in to that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope that is how it plays out, because the alternative is, "GEICO Washington used to be known as the Wizards? That's weird."

GEICO Washington sounds better than Wizards.

Everything sounds better than Wizards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wouldn't your kids be the ones who thought it was normal?

Yeah good point, they might find it stranger that MJ didn't wear any ads as a Wizard or whatever other team he played for.

90758391980.gif

At least they didn't try to be like the nfl & nhl and move it to the neckline lol.

so instead put it on the back like the mlb where it will never be seen. I like the nfl and NHL's way of doing it because it makes the NFL/NHL brand front and center while the manufacturers logos get placed elsewhere not as visible.

I'm a pretty big NBA fan, have been for almost 25 years - watch 150-200 games a season, spent a lot of money on merchandise. But I can happily say that I will not watch another game nor spend another penny once jersey ads are introduced. It's just a shameless grab for more money.

If the league's that hard up, just stick ads on the court. They'll probably be a lot more visible during games anyway.

Damn the NBA.

Going from the only league without even a manufacturer logo anywhere on its uniform to the extreme measure of corporate advertising.

Really sickens me.

Right, the no manufacturer logo was the really cool part in owning a aut. jersey or game shorts...............now it goes completely the other way......I belive it was david stern that had the manufacturer logo removed ?

Man, F adam silver

If Adidas would pay an extra amount of money to the league so that their logo would be on the left shoulder, that would be ok with me. Every other things? No!

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived