NBA Changes 2014-15 Season

Conrad.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attempted a render of what they could look like, based on those three photos:

B5B5DbqCAAE077_.png

only thing i'm not sure of is the left side of the top. not sure how they're going to incorporate those stripes with the sleeve in there.

I'm sure the top on the side will have the three stars like the original jersey it's referencing.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

This is what frustrates me about the NBA sometimes ...

Last night the Jazz played the Pelicans in New Orleans. They wore their green alternates and the Pelicans wore their red alternates. Kinda cool, had a Christmas vibe to it.

508085043_jazz_pels_murdoch_0026-w800.jp

Tonight the Jazz played against the Heat in Miami. They wore their home whites and the Heat wore their red alternates. Why wouldn't the Jazz just wear their green alternates (or the blue roads) against the Heat who were wearing the EXACT color as the Pelicans did the night before?

usa-today-7723446.0.jpg

This is from a Jazz-Heat game in SLC, but the same color matchup.

Which begs the question ... who decides on the color of both teams? The home team? Each team together? The league?

I just hate seeing home whites worn by the visiting team. The world needs more color vs. color games IMO.

Home team decides uniform color for their team. Away team chooses their color based on that.

How far in advance is it picked? I'm fairly certain teams in the NFL do it before the season and I was wondering if it worked the same way in the other leagues.

How far in advance is it picked?

Uniforms are chosen in advance of the season, though I believe that teams have changed their minds before. I remember when the OKC Thunder debuted their alternates, they issued a press release of every game they were going to wear them that season.

I've always been curious about this too. What's the purpose of having home and away uniforms if the home team can decide which uniform to wear? Even sometimes wearing a road uniform.

There are limits to the number of a time a team can wear a road uniform at home during the season. I believe it's in the single-digits, not sure of the exact number. That Thunder press release I mentioned also included something about a team being allowed to wear an alternate uniform two times at home. I feel like that is not enforced.

Counterpoint: metallic gold works as an accent color but looks terrible as a base color.

Gold has looked weird in the past so I wasn't exactly sold on the Pelicans having a gold alternate.

Let's look back at the last couple of gold jerseys

arenas_wizards.jpg

fandemonium05_10.jpg

Although to be fair, these designs didn't do the color any favor at all. The Spurs have had great Silver jerseys, hell the one they use now is also great, so I guess a team can try to make a decent Gold one and not go over the top like in the two pictures above. I think it all depends on how it's designed.

bSLCtu2.png

Pelicans alt certainly without doubt 100% should have been gold. The choice of red is so arbitrary. There is not a single uniform in the league in the gold color that the Pelicans use. The red is a fail and I hope not a single person buys it.

I just don't like the colors, period. I wish they were either mardi gras colors or Saints' colors (black + gold). The navy blue, red and gold is just tiresome.

Pelicans alt certainly without doubt 100% should have been gold. The choice of red is so arbitrary. There is not a single uniform in the league in the gold color that the Pelicans use. The red is a fail and I hope not a single person buys it.

100% agree.

I just don't like the colors, period. I wish they were either mardi gras colors or Saints' colors (black + gold). The navy blue, red and gold is just tiresome.

Also 100% agree.

Jaguars

Uniforms are chosen in advance of the season, though I believe that teams have changed their minds before. I remember when the OKC Thunder debuted their alternates, they issued a press release of every game they were going to wear them that season.

I've always been curious about this too. What's the purpose of having home and away uniforms if the home team can decide which uniform to wear? Even sometimes wearing a road uniform.

There are limits to the number of a time a team can wear a road uniform at home during the season. I believe it's in the single-digits, not sure of the exact number. That Thunder press release I mentioned also included something about a team being allowed to wear an alternate uniform two times at home. I feel like that is not enforced.

I believe its 6-8 times they can wear road uniforms at home. I remember that from the HEAT championship years.
shado_logo.gif

I believe its 6-8 times they can wear road uniforms at home. I remember that from the HEAT championship years.

I remember that "rule" back in the day, but I am pretty sure the past couple of years that was thrown out the window. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason anymore.

Counterpoint: metallic gold works as an accent color but looks terrible as a base color.

Gold has looked weird in the past so I wasn't exactly sold on the Pelicans having a gold alternate.

Let's look back at the last couple of gold jerseys

arenas_wizards.jpg

fandemonium05_10.jpg

Although to be fair, these designs didn't do the color any favor at all. The Spurs have had great Silver jerseys, hell the one they use now is also great, so I guess a team can try to make a decent Gold one and not go over the top like in the two pictures above. I think it all depends on how it's designed.

First off, the Spurs' current alt is terrible. And it's not silver, it's gray. The numbers on the other jerseys and the side-panels on the black jersey remain shimmery silver. But you are correct that those jerseys above are terrible. Then again, The Pelicans' current jerseys are all bad. Either way, there's nothing wrong with shimmery gold as the main fabric on a basketball jersey. They could definitely make it work. However, Adidas doing what they did with the Spurs alt and giving the Pelicans a tan jersey would be worse than the red alts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived