Yost Ice Arena, Ann Arbor

axam1824.jpg?itok=aB6W4Lxa

Vaillant Arena, Davos

tumblr_lk5dctsk5t1qjn3rao1_1280.jpg

Ericsson Globe, Stockholm

a8.jpg

Port Credit Memorial Arena, Mississauga

14175-39478.jpg

Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport, Toronto (you can watch from the street, those clerestory windows above)

Yale-Rink1-012010.jpg?ver=1433862198

Ingalls Rink, New Haven 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some tough news came out today. The Cincinnati Gardens has been sold and will be demolished. Bummer for a few reasons, but for me personally I have a lot of sentimentality built up there and I was still going there to play pick up hockey as recently as March. I posted in this thread about my favorite place to play in high school. This was my second favorite place to play. It felt like you were back in time.

CincyGardens-2012-RY-228.jpg

CincyGardens-2012-RY-262.jpg

5216578074_769772499e.jpg

gardens_600x380.jpg

Just a classic old barn. 

Notable things that happened in the Gardens: Oscar Robertson and the Royals played their home games there. As did the Cincinnati Swords (the Buffalo Sabres not-as-specifically-named farm team), Xavier basketball, Cincinnati Cyclones, Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (hence the color of the seats that still remain). I scored a game winning goal with 3 seconds left off a faceoff there. Also while in high school I sustained a concussion on the attached practice rink during a tournament and had to spend the night in a Cincinnati hospital and then played the next day. They'd never let you do that today and this was only about 12 years ago.

Hockey players in this town are losing 2 sheets of ice and I really don't know what the handful of high school teams are going to do now. I'm bummed. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Having gotten used to Bridgestone, Bemidji's Sanford Center took a little getting used to. I really like it now. Capacity is about 4,700. I was really surprised when I saw boxes in such a small arena, but this one, I feel is worth mention.

ClubLevelView.jpg

sanford-center-green-31apkvq3m4v82aq232nmkg.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 6 months later...

A couple of my favorites:

First is admittedly borderline as official capacity is 11,089 (though functionally less due to age, damage and tarps) would be the Cow Palace in Daly City, though its literally across the street from San Francisco. It's old, having opened in 1941 and its in rough shape (and it hasn't been cleaned in decades). But it is literally a great barn to watch games in despite it all, at least until the teams invariably fold. It has some really interesting architectural and structural elements.

1396_Cow_Palace_1.jpg

IMG_3280.0.JPG

Second is the Jenny Craig Pavilion home of the USD Toreros Men's and Women's D1 basketball teams (as much as it pains me to say it as a fan and alum of a competing school). I've always liked how the inside was designed to reflect the campus' unified Spanish Renaissance Architectural style like the outside.

640px-Jenny_Craig_Pavilion1.jpg

floor.jpg

Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto. 

0900319-f-0-0900319_3.JPG

I love that the exterior has never changed.

Coliseum_exterior_photo_ca_1922.jpg

to006.jpg

One of the most historic arenas in this thread. St. Michael's College School Arena in Toronto.

D23131_b3.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 6/15/2016 at 4:12 PM, McCarthy said:

some tough news came out today. The Cincinnati Gardens has been sold and will be demolished. Bummer for a few reasons, but for me personally I have a lot of sentimentality built up there and I was still going there to play pick up hockey as recently as March. I posted in this thread about my favorite place to play in high school. This was my second favorite place to play. It felt like you were back in time.

CincyGardens-2012-RY-228.jpg

CincyGardens-2012-RY-262.jpg

5216578074_769772499e.jpg

gardens_600x380.jpg

Just a classic old barn. 

Notable things that happened in the Gardens: Oscar Robertson and the Royals played their home games there. As did the Cincinnati Swords (the Buffalo Sabres not-as-specifically-named farm team), Xavier basketball, Cincinnati Cyclones, Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (hence the color of the seats that still remain). I scored a game winning goal with 3 seconds left off a faceoff there. Also while in high school I sustained a concussion on the attached practice rink during a tournament and had to spend the night in a Cincinnati hospital and then played the next day. They'd never let you do that today and this was only about 12 years ago.

Hockey players in this town are losing 2 sheets of ice and I really don't know what the handful of high school teams are going to do now. I'm bummed. 

Pretty sad to hear of a place with so much history about to be demolished.

Was it dirty or rundown in its final years?

On 2/19/2016 at 7:39 PM, House Electrician said:

My pick for the best small arena would have to be Hersheypark Arena (formerly Hershey Sports Arena) in Hershey, PA.  Built in 1936 to replace the Ice Palace, it was home to the AHL Hershey Bears from 1936 to 2002, when they relocated to the new Giant Center.  It was designed by Anton Tedesco using the revolutionary Z-D Arch technology, allowing for unobstructed views from any seat.  When completed it was the largest monolithic concrete structure of its type in the world.  Still considered an engineering marvel, construction was started on the roof structure July 5, 1936, and the first hockey game was played December 19, 1936!

It is currently the home to Lebanon Valley College's Flying Dutchmen ice hockey team, and is used for various other events throughout the year.

I have visited many arenas over the years, but this old girl has always been my favorite!

Sorry only two pics, one of the outside (best I could find)(note the Ice Palace adjoining it to the right) and one from tonight's ACHA tournament hosted by LVC.

Hersheypark outside 3 (600x450).jpg

IMG_2195.JPG

I'm aware I'm quoting a nearly year old post,  but I have to agree about Hersheypark Arena. This was where I used to watch WWF wrestling as a kid and even played hockey here once. The last time I was here was to watch the CPIHL (high school hockey) championship a year or two after I graduated.

16 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Pretty sad to hear of a place with so much history about to be demolished.

Was it dirty or rundown in its final years?

It was just an old relic. After Xavier left and the Mighty Ducks left it was a little rundown. The hockey rink used old scratched glass and the boards were all dinged up, but they kept it in good shape when they were there. The location also wasn't the most visually friendly place in town either.

It's sad because of the history and the city lost two rinks, but nobody outside of the small hockey playing community was really using it. Some low level arena football teams used it briefly, but you know how that is. 

With UC And Xavier having their own basketball arenas, and US Bank Arena downtown it just wasn't needed anymore. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think anyone would rank it as the best but one of the few I've seen for myself.

Under the 5,000 capacity (building capacity 4,680.  fixed arena seating 3,371) but largest and oldest arena locally is Fort William Gardens (opened in 1951).

If the funding for an event centre ever happens this one's days as a hockey arena will be numbered.  Last big renovation was in the 1990s.  From city website "building was completely transformed in 1994 and 1995".

Pic I took in November 2013 before a Lakehead Thunderwolves (university hockey) game got started:

Someone has an album on the arena in Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jarrettws/sets/72157627031902006/

P1520149.JPG

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Mostly European but here's a site that has some arenas in your capacity range:

http://hockeyarenas.net/index.php?c=wl&size=0&page=0300&c=wl&ctID=eu&size=3&arena=&arOrder=arName

hfboards has this thread if would like to look at pics of old arenas - some smaller historic ones later in thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=879512&highlight=arenas

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

The Joseph Gentile Center in Chicago,Il;home of the Loyola Ramblers has a seating capacity of just under 5,000

UIC Pavilion which originally had a capacity of 10,000 for hockey is now just under 7,000 and hosts UIC basketball and concerts

Emil and Patricia Jones Convocation center on the campus of Chicago State University also has a capacity under 7,000

Gentile Center.jpg

UIC-PAVILION.jpg

Emil & Patricia Jones Convocation center.JPG

Northwestern was thinking about playing their men's basketball at Loyola next year as the Wildcats own arena Welsh-Ryan arena will be getting a makeover.However,they will be playing in Rosemont at All State arena instead.here's a picture of that which was last renovated about 1983. Capacity 8,000

WelshRyan_arena.jpg

So apparently Greg Popovich loves the Pallestra so much he has the Spurs practice there whenever they're in Philadelphia.

He's asked the league a few times about playing the Sixers there.  Would easily be the lowest-attendance NBA game in the modern (maybe any) era, but would definitely be something great to see.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So apparently Greg Popovich loves the Pallestra so much he has the Spurs practice there whenever they're in Philadelphia.

He's asked the league a few times about playing the Sixers there.  Would easily be the lowest-attendance NBA game in the modern (maybe any) era, but would definitely be something great to see.

Define "modern."  This article references a 1978 game with an attendance of 4,522.

http://www.negativedunks.com/2012/02/least-attended-nba-game-ever.html

The Clippers averaged under 10,000 as recently as 1998.

http://www.apbr.org/attendance.html

For the record, I'm not arguing with you.  Your post just made me curious.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived