MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

I have known for months that my next concept series would be a MLB redesign. Major League Baseball is a league that holds on to its tradition more than any other league, so I decided to use this to create designs that combine different eras of the teams' histories.

Before I begin, I should set some parameters (that I will try to keep from breaking):

• All colors, designs, etc. need to have been used by the team.
  • I can combine elements from different logos, etc. to make a new logo.
  • I am not necessarily trying to incorporate every past logo; instead I will try to end up with a concept that will look good while reflecting different eras of the teams' histories.
  • I am not designing "throwback" uniforms. They aren't supposed to look like the jerseys that were worn in the 1940s; these are modern uniforms that incorporate old design elements. For this reason (and personal preference) I am using a template that has loose pants and socks instead of stirrups. I know that many of you aren't big fans of this look, but I want to replicate what MLB players are currently using.
  • I am not necessarily going to create the look that I would want them to wear; there are probably going to be aspects of some uniforms that aren't my favorite, but I will still incorporate them into my design. That being said, I will not intentionally be creating ugly uniforms.
  • I will give myself more freedom on the alternates, but they still must use elements that have been used before.

Let me know what you think about the idea. Feel free to give suggestions about ways to improve the concept.

A huge thanks to tbdaniel15 for creating the template that I am using.

After I had the idea for this ScoffingYayap and (especially) SFGiants58 have done projects that have combined eras for some of the teams. They have done a very good job, and there will be some overlap with what they have done. I decided not to scrap the project just because others have had some of the same ideas I have.

Table of Contents

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets Black and Pink Version

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers Version 1 Cream Home Uniform

Pittsburgh Pirates Version 1

St. Louis Cardinals

Arizona Diamondbacks Purple and Red Version

Colorado Rockies Version 1 Version 2 Version 3

Los Angeles Dodgers Version 1

San Diego Padres Version 1

San Francisco Giants Version 1 Options

Houston Astros Home Uniform Tweak

Los Angeles Angels Version 1 Anaheim Road Uniform Version 2

Oakland Athletics Road Uniform Tweak

Seattle Mariners Version 1 With Late-70s Numbers

Texas Rangers

Chicago White Sox Version 1 Version 2

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers Version 1

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox Tweak

New York Yankees Version 1

Tampa Bay Rays Version 1

Toronto Blue Jays Canada Day Alternate

Compilations

award%20sig.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRAVESLOGOS.png

BravesUniforms21.png

BravesElementExplanation.png

This shows what I combined to end up with the Braves concept. Please let me know whether it is worth doing this in the future.

I think the above graphic keeps me from really explaining each element from the uniforms. Their large piping and Braves wordmark with the tomahawk is an iconic look for them; it has been used across three cities dating back to the mid-1940s.

I really like the Braves red alternate but find their blue alternate too plain. I made it more closely match the other jerseys in color balance. I also felt that their all blue hat was unnecessary.

Comments and criticism is welcome.

(One more note: Does anyone know where I can find vectors of the new Marlins wordmarks?)

EDIT: Does anyone know why the pictures that I am showing aren't extending to the right edge of the post? Can I change settings to make the images larger in the post?

EDIT on 2/9: I moved the numbers up due to all the comments. I also decided to try to replicate how their NOBs looked up until 2006. (They were vertically arched instead of radially arched.)

award%20sig.png

I think the blue tomahawk looks great on the Red and Blue jerseys; not so much on the regulars. The placement of the front numbers also doesn't make much sense.

I do like your idea of combining eras, though. I can already picture how the Yankees unis will look :)

Might just be me, but the front number seems too low to me, like it'd be obscured at the waist for even average height players where it is now.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That font number would end up being tucked into the pants on even the biggest guys. Raise it up. I don't even understand why you would make it that low to begin with. You have a reference pic posted of how they used to applied to the front.

I think I understand why the numbers are set so low but I have to agree with everyone else: raise them up. Consider using the alt hat for home and away alts.

I think the blue tomahawk looks great on the Red and Blue jerseys; not so much on the regulars. The placement of the front numbers also doesn't make much sense.

I do like your idea of combining eras, though. I can already picture how the Yankees unis will look :)

Might just be me, but the front number seems too low to me, like it'd be obscured at the waist for even average height players where it is now.

That font number would end up being tucked into the pants on even the biggest guys. Raise it up. I don't even understand why you would make it that low to begin with. You have a reference pic posted of how they used to applied to the front.

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know how I missed that (as McCall says, I even have a reference pic). I will fix it.

For those who say I should lose the number on front, I am wanting to incorporate the numbers on front since the Milwaukee Braves used them throughout their existence.

I forgot to mention in the first post (and will go back and edit it now) that I am not necessarily going to create the look that I would want them to wear; there are probably going to be aspects of some uniforms that aren't my favorite, but I will still incorporate them into my design. That being said, I will not intentionally be creating ugly uniforms.

I think I understand why the numbers are set so low but I have to agree with everyone else: raise them up. Consider using the alt hat for home and away alts.

Last year the high school team I coach played a team that had white paneled hats, a dark jersey, and gray pants, and I didn't like the look at all. The white on the hat clashed with the gray pants. The alt hat looks good with the blue alternate but wouldn't look good with the gray pants that they would be wearing.

I also forgot to mention that I am showing the undershirt that players would/could wear under the jersey. That is why there are both Nike and Majestic logos used (Majestic for the uniform, Nike for the undershirt).

award%20sig.png

I updated the Braves. See post #2 to see the changes. I moved the numbers up due to all the comments. I also decided to try to replicate how their NOBs looked up until 2006. (They were vertically arched instead of radially arched.)

One other parameter that I forgot to add in my original post:

• I will give myself more freedom on the alternates, but they still must use elements that have been used before.

award%20sig.png

Archived