MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

Interesting how you've mentioned the Denver Bears and working them into your project. I realize that Phoenix doesn't have quite the minor league baseball history that Denver does, but was there ever any thought of working in stylistic elements from the Phoenix Firebirds or even the 1970s Phoenix Giants (who looked nothing like their parent club BTW)? Either way, great job on the Diamondbacks identity, the turquoise looks good against the black and tan in that color scheme.

QPR%20Sig.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, I have updated my Mets and Cardinals concept with updated versions of their tertiary logos. A huge thanks to Ren for his updates of these logos. Here are links to the Mets and Cardinals updates.

The votes and comments are in and the green and black look won handily. Thanks to everyone for voting and leaving comments; there were a lot of comments lobbying for the different looks. I was still tempted to do the purple and red look since it is so unique, but the green and black (dark gray) option does look classy.

DIAMONDBACKSLOGOS.png

DIAMONDBACKSHOMEUNIFORMS.png

DIAMONDBACKSAWAYUNIFORMS.png

I didn't make a pictorial element explanation for the D-backs because they have a short history and only two distinct looks.

Colorwerx's color samples of all eras of Arizona's history are actually a very dark gray instead of black, so I kept that. The primary is the italicized A that they has been a part of their branding since their inception. I'm not a big fan of the snake/D logo they use on their hat so I instead used the db snake head logo they have had since '08. The tertiary logo is a recolored version of a hat logo from '99-'06. I am using their current scripts, font, and number. I included the Dback script as part of their identity, but it isn't used on any of the uniforms.

I don't like their Dback script on their uniforms; I decided to use the stacked Diamond Backs script that has been a part of the logo. Arizona had Diamondbacks across their chest in their inaugural uniforms, so a form of the look is a part of their history.

Red is listed as an accent color because it is used in the eyes and baseball laces of the tertiary logo. (It is the red they currently use).

Very well done! You knocked it out of the park (pun intended)!

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

The alternates for the DiamondBacks are perfect! I think the usage of the db snake eyes logo is phenomenal, and the revamp of the current black alternate worked out perfectly along with the recolor of the away. The only iffy thing about the D-Backs designs is the thick "double-decker" script on the home jersey.

33k6vxf.jpg

LOVE IT!

You kiled it man. If the D-backs were to ever change, this is how they'd do it.

Looks very classy, my friend! Good job on the Dbacks!

Those Diamondback uniforms are better than anything they've ever worn. Love that teal uniform especially.

Quote: Very well done! You knocked it out of the park (pun intended)!

The alternates for the DiamondBacks are perfect! I think the usage of the db snake eyes logo is phenomenal, and the revamp of the current black alternate worked out perfectly along with the recolor of the away. The only iffy thing about the D-Backs designs is the thick "double-decker" script on the home jersey.

Interesting how you've mentioned the Denver Bears and working them into your project. I realize that Phoenix doesn't have quite the minor league baseball history that Denver does, but was there ever any thought of working in stylistic elements from the Phoenix Firebirds or even the 1970s Phoenix Giants (who looked nothing like their parent club BTW)? Either way, great job on the Diamondbacks identity, the turquoise looks good against the black and tan in that color scheme.

Thanks for all the very kind feedback. I'm glad you like the look. Shadesdash, I agree that the double-decker script is different (might even be "iffy"); I did feel that it was better than using the Dback script they currently use.

Moser, I knew I wanted to combine the two Diamondbacks eras (and basically knew what I wanted to do) so I didn't go hunting through old minor league teams. The Rockies have only had one basic look (logos, scripts, etc.) so I am interested in seeing what else I can do with them. (In addition, I am not a big fan of the Rockies' look.)

could you add the current d snake for the d-backs

I could.... I'm not a big fan of the logo, but it would be easy to put up for you if you really want it.

Again, thanks for your feedback. If anyone has any information on the Denver Bears font on the previous page, please let me know.

award%20sig.png

I couldn't find any fonts that closely matched the old Bears' script so I made my own wordmarks. Should I go this route or should I stick with the serif font that the Rockies have used throughout their existence? I do like that this Bauhaus-style font is similar to the C on the Colorado state flag.

ScreenShot2014-04-10at102253AM.png

ScreenShot2014-04-10at102531AM.png

I didn't finalize kerning and the swash might need a bit more work. Please let me know if you have suggestions for improvement. Also, do you prefer the longer or shorter swash?

award%20sig.png

Here is the Pirates update. Just removed the stripes from the main hat and the yellow hat. The hats are interchangeable; they don't specifically go with the jerseys they are above. The plain black hat is the one that would be worn most of the time.

PIRATESLOGOSv2.png

pirateshomeuniformsv2.png

piratesAWAYuniformsv2.png

Nice job on those concepts, I realize this blending of different eras, but I would scrap the 1987-96 pirate head logo and the 1998 secondary flag logo. I would bring back the 1968-86 logo, he never did appear on a Pirates uniform, so the time is right. Also, I would toss in black and gold pants for variation. Next, I would alter your sharp gold jersey to drop the nickname in favor of the black "P", similar to the 2012 spring training/batting practice jerseys. Finally, as a tribute to my user name, the return of gold pinstripe uniforms. These pinstripes would have a black "P" on the chest as well. So the home whites would still say "Pirates", and the grays still "Pittsburgh".

First of all, I have updated my Mets and Cardinals concept with updated versions of their tertiary logos. A huge thanks to Ren for his updates of these logos. Here are links to the Mets and Cardinals updates.

The votes and comments are in and the green and black look won handily. Thanks to everyone for voting and leaving comments; there were a lot of comments lobbying for the different looks. I was still tempted to do the purple and red look since it is so unique, but the green and black (dark gray) option does look classy.

DIAMONDBACKSLOGOS.png

DIAMONDBACKSHOMEUNIFORMS.png

DIAMONDBACKSAWAYUNIFORMS.png

I didn't make a pictorial element explanation for the D-backs because they have a short history and only two distinct looks.

Colorwerx's color samples of all eras of Arizona's history are actually a very dark gray instead of black, so I kept that. The primary is the italicized A that they has been a part of their branding since their inception. I'm not a big fan of the snake/D logo they use on their hat so I instead used the db snake head logo they have had since '08. The tertiary logo is a recolored version of a hat logo from '99-'06. I am using their current scripts, font, and number. I included the Dback script as part of their identity, but it isn't used on any of the uniforms.

I don't like their Dback script on their uniforms; I decided to use the stacked Diamond Backs script that has been a part of the logo. Arizona had Diamondbacks across their chest in their inaugural uniforms, so a form of the look is a part of their history.

Red is listed as an accent color because it is used in the eyes and baseball laces of the tertiary logo. (It is the red they currently use).

Sorry I'm a little late to the show...

I have to say, the combination of different design elements is a job well done, but I just can't get on board with the teal. It's a color that only works with aquatic-themed teams like the Marlins, Devil Rays and Mariners, and just not something I associate with a team based in an arid desert environment.

The red and purple look would have been far more interesting, IMO.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Life is quite full right how, but I was finally able to finish the Rockies. There are some parts of it I really like and other parts that I'm not sure about.

ROCKIESLOGOS.png

rockieshomeuniforms.png

rockiesawayuniforms.png

RockiesElementExplanation.png

I'm not sure about the pinstripes on the gray uniform and the color of the road unis. I decided to give them a darker shade of gray than normal color; it actually matches their tertiary color.

I'm also not sure about the piping on the alternate jerseys. It is unique, but I'm not sure I like it.

I decided to stay with a custom font instead of using the serif heavy gothic that they used (thanks so much, Lights Out, for helping me out with that). I did this to match the c from their flag. I really like incorporating that into the Rockies' identity; it helps emphasize that they are Colorado's team. Therefore, I matched the rest of the wordmarks to the c from the flag. I really wanted to use the c-with-the-baseball on a hat, but it just looks too much like a Cubs hat (which is why I went with the mountain on the hat as well). I added the r to the c-baseball image to make a tertiary logo, but the tertiary doesn't show up on their uniforms.

award%20sig.png

My suggestions:

1) Pinstripe roads dont work very good. Just use the grey and purple piping in the style of the other solid jerseys.

2) loose the tilt on the wordmark and add front numbers close below on the left for better balance on the uni.

3) Capitalize the first letter of each wordmark and the tertiary logo. Tertiary logo becomes cap logo.

4) In the location where you removed the ball from the current mountain logo to make yours, you need another small peak to re-balance the logo. I kinda imagined the ball would be hiding one in the original.

Nice job here, but for the hat, I would like to see the mountain protruding from the bill, like the base of the mountain to start at the bottom.

Good Idea, and how about making the mountain make up most of the front panel? IT would make the C on the new mountain a respectable size.

Archived