A11 Football League Branding

JackieMoon

As a counterpoint, couldn't you say the same thing about the Oregon Ducks football program? I don't think they're having any issue with branding.

The Oregon Ducks are very much the exception. Their brand is that their brand is constantly changing. Nobody else could get away with that. Further, their (O) logo had become an identifiable mark before they started messing around with 12 different helmets and jerseys and pants every season.

Here they're at a point where they must establish brand recognition and trying to do that by having their teams dress differently each game doesn't make any sense.

I might be in the minority on this, but I really don't think this is a big deal. So far, outside of the San Francisco one, none of these teams has come out with any alt. helmets so divergent from their primary logo to be confusing. And just like the Ducks, the multiple uniform options appears to be a key element of this league's branding strategy. If that's what it's known for, then I doubt there will be any brand confusion.

As a counterpoint, couldn't you say the same thing about the Oregon Ducks football program? I don't think they're having any issue with branding.

But the Ducks had several decades of heritage and alumni and fans to back up the program. They also eased into their current state slowly... It wasn't one year of green O helmets and the next 6 different helmets. It went from 2 to 3 to 4, etc...

It could be fine. If the Michigan Panthers wear the champagne helmet for 6 games and the other helmets for one game a piece, that wouldn't be that bad. But say they wore every helmet twice, that I wouldn't be a fan of.

Really, what the Ducks did is gradually foist this concept upon the sporting world to the point where we're all used to it now. If anything, Oregon paved the way to make this an acceptable practice for leagues like this. We should no longer be surprised (or confused?) that teams are using multiple helmet styles.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oregon Ducks are very much the exception. Their brand is that their brand is constantly changing. Nobody else could get away with that. Further, their (O) logo had become an identifiable mark before they started messing around with 12 different helmets and jerseys and pants every season.

Here they're at a point where they must establish brand recognition and trying to do that by having their teams dress differently each game doesn't make any sense.

I might be in the minority on this, but I really don't think this is a big deal. So far, outside of the San Francisco one, none of these teams has come out with any alt. helmets so divergent from their primary logo to be confusing. And just like the Ducks, the multiple uniform options appears to be a key element of this league's branding strategy. If that's what it's known for, then I doubt there will be any brand confusion.

But the Ducks had several decades of heritage and alumni and fans to back up the program. They also eased into their current state slowly... It wasn't one year of green O helmets and the next 6 different helmets. It went from 2 to 3 to 4, etc...

It could be fine. If the Michigan Panthers wear the champagne helmet for 6 games and the other helmets for one game a piece, that wouldn't be that bad. But say they wore every helmet twice, that I wouldn't be a fan of.

Really, what the Ducks did is gradually foist this concept upon the sporting world to the point where we're all used to it now. If anything, Oregon paved the way to make this an acceptable practice for leagues like this. We should no longer be surprised (or confused?) that teams are using multiple helmet styles.

nobody is surprised, they are just talking about a pure branding stand point, you want an identifiable brand first and then you can start playing around with alts ect.

I think the alt helmets are a good idea. With only 6 to 8 teams and each one having a unique identity i dont think there will be any confusion or conflict. It will be another element that gives people a reason to be interested. Im guessing there wont be split time between each helmet, but there will be 1 primary and the alts make an appetence on special occasion.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Night Rider and Renegade are now out.....honestly, Night Rider looks more like Texas Tech's Masked Rider minus the cape than Tampa Bay's Bandit and the horse is red. Brandon's original design looks better on black. Renegade is the red helmet and the horse is back to gray/silver.

@BrandMooreArt, the league had a statement on that but I forget exactly where it's at. I do remember them saying something about each team having a throwback, hence the 3 helmet minimum.

As I've previously stated, I find the multiple helmets for each A11FL team to be a case of gimmicky overkill. With respect to the Tampa Bay Bandits' alternate headgear, I have a particular problem with the black - so-called "Night Rider" - helmet.

I think rendering the horse in Red on the Black helmet is an aesthetically poor choice. It would, in my opinion, look far better in Silver/Grey.

More problematic to me is the fact that the helmet even bears the "Night Rider" sobriquet. "Night Rider" was long a term associated with the Ku Klux Klan, whose members engaged in their acts of terror under cover of darkness, and often - during the Klan's first incarnation, as well as the first half of its second incarnation - did so on horseback.

Given that Florida was a stronghold of Klan activity throughout much of the 20th Century, as well as the fact that one of the most notorious acts of Klan violence - the flogging, tarring and feathering, and castration of labor leader Joseph Shoemaker - took place in Tampa, Florida in 1937, I'd have avoided the "Night Rider" name - even to describe an alternate helmet - at all costs.

I am defenitly going to get some Bandits gear before the first game which is supposed to be at Raymond james this? year to show off the style of the game. Not sure if that's going to be reality so close to Spring, but I probably misread the article. However, I do recall reading that Tampa Bay would be the where the first game would be played.

Tampa Bay Bandits (a11) > Florida Tuskers (UFL)

i'm a Bandits fan now.

da860279de10085220f8d1f85c2559e1.jpg

1049d7a14af056b6cfc97cb3604a356b.jpg

471407fc2cc026e2f4520734bf217567.jpg

somewhere at UnderArmor HQ, someone is saving these pics for inspiration. And maybe forwarding them to Coach Kingbury in Lubbock, TX

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived