Ballparks/Stadiums/Arena in the movies

johnnysama

The pre-'68 MSG was in the original Manchurian Candidate. The recently deceased Metrodome was in Little Big League. Jack Murphy/San Diego Stadium was in one of the Killer Tomatoes movies. Safeco Field was in Life or Something Like It. Olympic Stadium in Montreal was featured in Warm Bodies. Several scenes of the Colosseum were featured in The Way of the Dragon. Fenway was in Field of Dreams, Ted and The Town.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The movie Untamed Heart was on TV tonight. Marissa Tomei took Christian Slater to a North Stars-Red Wings game in what I assume was the old Met Center. Who knew at the time of the movie that we were watching the end of an era for hockey in Minnesota and that the arena would be demolished less than a year later?

If memory serves me Kemper Arena in KC is in the old TV movie The Day After.

As a KC native I don't recall this. The entire movie is available on youtube and the Liberty Memorial is featured fairly prominently ina seen with Jason Robards and his character's daughter about 11 min in, but I don't think Kemper is visible from the top (was up there about 6 years ago), and even if it was I don't see it in the shot. Most of the ground level outdoor shots appear to be generic downtown cityscapes (and Kemper isn't downtown).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2B7sdLPMfc

Perhaps EZ or yh can recall it. They're relative locals...

• 3 weeks later...

How about this, Minnesota fans...

When the North Stars left, many, including my teenage self, wondered why they couldn't move to the newly-built Target Center. I don't remember the details (it wasn't all Norm Greed), but how about this scene from The Might Ducks where the characters meet Mike Modano and Basil McRae, post-uni change, at the Target Center. They setup a regulation hockey rink just for this shot. Then they moved to Dallas...

I have a very nice picture-full book chronicling the North Stars' history. From the perspective of (If I correctly recall) Lou Nanne, the North Stars and Target Center (T-Wovles?) were close to striking a deal and the deal-breaker was that each side wanted the revenue from the advertisements on the boards. Neither side budged and that was that. I think the fans would have been split on that move. I grew up in an inner-ring burb a 15-minute drive from downtown Minneapolis and would have loved it. But the people there LOVED the Met Center, which is still regarded as having some of the best seating any hockey arena has ever had. So for those that did not hate the location, many would have been upset. Ultimately, though, they obviously would have needed something with luxury boxes, even if Norm Green did not hasten the move in part because of sexual harassment charges.

Also, my recollection of that Mighty Ducks scene in the photo above is that it was at the Met Center and despite the red seats (which I think were the Target Center seat colors), I still think that might be the Met Center. I know the Met Center is known for the random array of White/Green/Yellow/Black seats, but late in its history, "nicer" seats were installed--I was thinking between the blue lines but maybe even the entire lower bowl or arena. A couple of clues here: The "Stars" logo near the back of the boards between the players. Also, the back-lit sign at the top-middle of the photo. This seems to me to be a sign over the tunnel to the concourse that served both the upper- and lower-levels. All this said, I could be wrong and this could be the Target Center...but I think it is the Met Center.

EDIT: This link show the red seats at the Met Center. See the "Met Center Tour video.

http://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page/show/813548-metropolitan-sports-center-met-center-

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

When the North Stars left, many, including my teenage self, wondered why they couldn't move to the newly-built Target Center. I don't remember the details (it wasn't all Norm Greed), but how about this scene from The Might Ducks where the characters meet Mike Modano and Basil McRae, post-uni change, at the Target Center. They setup a regulation hockey rink just for this shot. Then they moved to Dallas...

Picture-54.png

Was it pointed out in the movie that they were at the Target Center?

sig.png

Picture-54.png

I have a very nice picture-full book chronicling the North Stars' history. From the perspective of (If I correctly recall) Lou Nanne, the North Stars and Target Center (T-Wovles?) were close to striking a deal and the deal-breaker was that each side wanted the revenue from the advertisements on the boards. Neither side budged and that was that. I think the fans would have been split on that move. I grew up in an inner-ring burb a 15-minute drive from downtown Minneapolis and would have loved it. But the people there LOVED the Met Center, which is still regarded as having some of the best seating any hockey arena has ever had. So for those that did not hate the location, many would have been upset. Ultimately, though, they obviously would have needed something with luxury boxes, even if Norm Green did not hasten the move in part because of sexual harassment charges.

Also, my recollection of that Mighty Ducks scene in the photo above is that it was at the Met Center and despite the red seats (which I think were the Target Center seat colors), I still think that might be the Met Center. I know the Met Center is known for the random array of White/Green/Yellow/Black seats, but late in its history, "nicer" seats were installed--I was thinking between the blue lines but maybe even the entire lower bowl or arena. A couple of clues here: The "Stars" logo near the back of the boards between the players. Also, the back-lit sign at the top-middle of the photo. This seems to me to be a sign over the tunnel to the concourse that served both the upper- and lower-levels. All this said, I could be wrong and this could be the Target Center...but I think it is the Met Center.

EDIT: This link show the red seats at the Met Center. See the "Met Center Tour video.

http://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page/show/813548-metropolitan-sports-center-met-center-

I remember distinctly the Might Ducks and Stars scene taking place at Met Center.

that was the met center towards the end, they replaced the green,white yellow seats with red seats. it may only been the last season at met center that all the seats were red, but that is not target center in the movie but met center.

also if you look you can see stars logo on the seat

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

It seems I stand corrected about the Target Center appearance in Mighty Ducks. I went to the Met Center a lot in those days (Strikers games - we couldn't afford North Stars tix), but I never saw the red seats. Great arena, with no bad seats at all, and when things got exciting the place got LOUD. But yes, no luxury suites.

My memory of the scene in the movie was a wide, panning shot of the arena, before the rinkside shot with the players. I remember thinking it was Target Ctr because of the seating arrangement, not the red seats, but I couldn't find a photo of the wide shot on GIS. Plus, major movies were rarely filmed in MN, so they would get a lot of local attention. Another vague memory is reading that they used the Target Ctr because the Met Ctr was not available at the time of shooting. I see IMDB lists the Met Center as a filming location - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104868/locations

Also from IMDB - when the kids go to see an NHL game, it's the North Stars vs. the Hartford Whalers. Both teams would soon move down south and later win the Cup.

I saw the movie years after it came out, when the North Stars had long since departed, and it seemed like such cruel irony to film this in what should have been their new, modern arena.

I remember that episode...they were trying to settle a bar bet on how many bolts were in the Garden basketball court.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

At Camden Yards...

Major League II:

OPACY_disguised_as_Cleveland_Stadium,_ML

major-league-ii.jpg

The West Wing:

120405_firstpitch_sheen_ap_328_605.jpg

Chris Rock's Head of State:

chris-rock1_082402.jpg

The Wire:

scott-the-wire-camden-yards-650x482.png

And at Nats Park...

How Do You Know: