Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter King's NOT a schlep reporter?

Even if what you're implying is true, those who choose THIS as their reason to get mad at the NFL for being profit-driven are only making themselves look like a bunch of mouth-breathing hicks.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't mind taking the temperature around the NFL, but the league office shouldn't be advocating on behalf of specific players or "strongly encouraging" any teams to make a move they don't want to make. But once you're asked, are you tacitly being "strongly encouraged"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Depends. If it's "we really think you should look at him", that could be abused and is probably inappropriate. But if it's "we'll help you handle the bigots if you do", that's something else entirely.

But we should wait and see if a reporter gets ahold of this story.

Peter King's NOT a schlep reporter?

Even if what you're implying is true, those who choose THIS as their reason to get mad at the NFL for being profit-driven are only making themselves look like a bunch of mouth-breathing hicks.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't mind taking the temperature around the NFL, but the league office shouldn't be advocating on behalf of specific players or "strongly encouraging" any teams to make a move they don't want to make. But once you're asked, are you tacitly being "strongly encouraged"?

If there is any truth to this, it does make you wonder if the league did ask a team to draft Sam once it hit the seventh round....or if the NFL asked the Rams to make sure Sam survives the first round of cuts, etc.

Considering the NFL and their desire to always be in the spotlight (such as having an event each month of the calendar year), I wouldn't put it past them to make some calls on Sam's behalf (not that Sam asked for the help) to keep him employed. As long as there's no legal issues being dished out, any publicity is good publicity in the NFL's eyes.

Depends. If it's "we really think you should look at him", that could be abused and is probably inappropriate. But if it's "we'll help you handle the bigots if you do", that's something else entirely.

This sounds fair. It's a good idea to tell all 32 teams that if you see fit to stick your neck out on this guy, the league will have your back when the lunatics come out. Cherry-picking teams as if to say "your city seems like a good place to do this" or "hey, you owe us this favor," that gets a little murky, but when isn't the NFL murky?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's precedent there with Vick. The league essentially picked Phila, NE, or one other place (I forget) for him to return. The Eagles could have balked of course, but were sold by the league, dungy, and eventually Vick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...

Cameron Wake, was cut and had no team was about to give up on football and went to the CFL. Today he is one of the top sack leaders in the NFL and the best players on the Dolphins defense. So don't give up on Michael Sam just yet he should go to Canada and show he can play, and try again when some NFL teams needs him.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think his nfl chances are done. He might go to the CFL or some other league. Had some talent and could help a team out but NFL teams just seem like they don't want to deal with media that surrounds him.

Given all the toxic PR the NFL has had to maneuver after Sam's attempts with the 'Boys and Rams, I don't think he'd be a distraction to any locker room anymore, at least not to Peterson/Rice levels.

I think his nfl chances are done. He might go to the CFL or some other league. Had some talent and could help a team out but NFL teams just seem like they don't want to deal with media that surrounds him.

What media? This is the first I have even heard his name since he was signed. There is no media surrounding him right now, and ever since the draft/preseason there hasn't been.

niagaraq.png

There are a few teams in the NFL that need all the defensive help they can get. I would think Sam has a couple more options in the NFL that are open.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Michael Sam is a big media distraction, yet child abusers aren't? That's only because he's a practice squad lineman correct?

G-d I hate this league.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived