CFL 2014 Season

Evil Doctor

Well it might seem a tad early but to start one, but it's been a unusually busy off-season, quarterbacks are changing teams, Ottawa is starting play this season, two new stadiums, the Argonauts might join the MLSE fold, the season schedule is coming out tomorrow, free agency is heating up....

...oh and Arland Bruce said something stupid about Michael Sam and has probably played his last down of Canadian Football....

tigercatssignature-1.png

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, one of the big stories is that it appears the David Braley is set to sell the Argos to MLSE as part of their effort to renovate BMO stadium. Also apparently because it might help acquire an NFL franchise for Toronto, but come on. The Earth will be swallowed up by the sun as it exhausts the last of it's hydrogen reserves before Toronto gets an NFL franchise...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Yeah, one of the big stories is that it appears the David Braley is set to sell the Argos to MLSE as part of their effort to renovate BMO stadium. Also apparently because it might help acquire an NFL franchise for Toronto, but come on. The Earth will be swallowed up by the sun as it exhausts the last of it's hydrogen reserves before Toronto gets an NFL franchise...

Especially now with NY State renovating the Bills stadium and working to get them a new one. The only way Toronto got a team was if it was the Bills.

• 2 weeks later...

Arland Bruce has been cut by the Als for making homophobic remarks about Michael Sam

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/alouettes-release-arland-bruce-two-weeks-homophobic-comments-031907468.html

I love the homophobic comments, calling in the "Freedom of speech" card. Does Canada actually have that right, and is it like the U.S. where the right only stops the government from stopping it?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Arland Bruce has been cut by the Als for making homophobic remarks about Michael Sam

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/alouettes-release-arland-bruce-two-weeks-homophobic-comments-031907468.html

I love the homophobic comments, calling in the "Freedom of speech" card. Does Canada actually have that right, and is it like the U.S. where the right only stops the government from stopping it?

To the best of my elementary and high school political knowledge, we're (Canada) the same as the States.

IbjBaeE.png

To the best of my elementary and high school political knowledge, we're (Canada) the same as the States.

So, the government can't stop you from making an ass of yourself, and they can't stop your boss from firing because you're an ass, too. LOL

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike the US, Canada doesn't allow hate speech. Regardless, even if this was in the US, this isn't a freedom of speech issue. He did something stupid, and his private employer made him pay the consequences.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Bruce has been wearing out welcomes for some time now. Toronto, Hamilton, B.C., and now Montreal. Of course now that he's on the down slope of his career, I seriously doubt another team will pick him up...

tigercatssignature-1.png

• 1 month later...

Well the mini-camps have opened as we inch towards the start of a new season. The two newest stadiums are still being worked on as the push is on to get it completed on time...

Lansdowne renewal continues apace towards July 18 Redblacks home opener

Mayor Jim Watson, a few city councillors, journalists and others got a sneak peek at the construction progress at the former Glebe fairground Tuesday morning.

“We’ve been working towards July 18 for a long time and we’re on schedule,” Watson told reporters during the tour of the grounds. “We’re going to meet that deadline. ... It’s remarkable the amount of work that’s been done to get the site ready.”

New stadium will be ready for Ticats home opener: builder

Garreth Barkey, site supervisor for Ontario Sports Solutions, the consortium building the $145-million stadium, said he expects to have the facility prepared for the July 26 game versus the Ottawa Redblacks.

"I'm confident that we're going to make the date," Barkey said.

The stadium is about three weeks behind schedule, Barkey said, and while it was originally slated to be delivered by June 30, Barkey acknowledged they won't hit that target. Instead, they are aiming for "substantial completion" in late July with the finishing touches added over the ensuing two to eight weeks.

"Substantial completion means you're watching a game in the stadium," Barkey said "There could some areas that need a final coat of paint, some of the exterior landscaping may not be planted but as a fan, you'll come and see the Ticats and enjoy a good fan experience."

It's looks like Tim Hortons Field be looking a little Ivor Wynne for the home opener, but I'm sure it will only invoke feelings of nostalgia in the fans... ^_^

What is interesting is that Ottawa RubyGlooms will be in the first game of new stadiums in consecutive weeks...

tigercatssignature-1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting CBA news...

So the CFL made an offer to the CFLPA (details here) that included notably a 9% increase in the cap, 11% increase in the minimum salary, and the addition of two more roster spots. This was soundly rejected and counter-offered which included a 42% increase in the salary cap. As a result, the league circumvented the union and went straight to the players (the above link is the letter they sent to the players today), offering bonuses to the players if they ratify is by June 22 ($1 000 for rookies and $3 000 for vets). This was all explained in the league's open letter to the fans. Now, I admittedly don't know much about the league's finances, but something tells me that increasing every team's largest expense by over 40% is not a sound business strategy. I have a feeling that the CFL's offer, while more fair than the PA's, is still a lowball, and that they're doing this to make them look like the good guys (which is funny, because it's usually the players who play that role in labour negotiations). I expect them to reach an eleventh-hour deal that is higher than what the league's currently offering, but not by very much.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 1 month later...

For the american viewers...CFL and ESPN signed a multi year tv deal that has 17 regular season and all playoff games broadcasted live this year on the 3 espn channels. Good news says I.

Saw this on the CFL.ca web site and was overjoyed. Caught the Stamps-Als game yesterday, watching it with my 10 year old daughter. Shouted out in glee every time a Rouge was scored, and was so disappointed that the Alouettes scored a touchdown on the final play, I couldn't eat dinner. I *so* wanted a 29-1 final score!

nav-logo.png

Archived