CFL 2014 Season

Evil Doctor

For the american viewers...CFL and ESPN signed a multi year tv deal that has 17 regular season and all playoff games broadcasted live this year on the 3 espn channels. Good news says I.

Nice. This will quench my football appetite before college and NFL start. However, I still have the world cup to hold my attention. I have always enjoyed a CFL game every once in a while. I have to find a team to root for. I like underdogs who have a bad history. Can I get some help from my Canadian friends?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Eskimos don't really have a bad history (more like one of the best histories) but kinda suck now. Plus we're basically Packers Canada.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The Eskimos don't really have a bad history (more like one of the best histories) but kinda suck now. Plus we're basically Packers Canada.

I always thought of Saskatchewan as "Packers Canada," myself, but given that three (is it still three?) of the nine teams are publicly owned or municipally controlled in some fashion, the Esks could make that claim.

I always found the CFL's ownership fascinating. A third of the league municipally/publicly owned, a third owned by two guys who have so much money that their teams are basically expensive toys, and a third in the big markets that get new owners every X number of years (well, Montreal and Toronto historically; Ottawa's fate will play itself out) because they realize that being in one of the "big three" markets is actually a financial curse rather than a blessing.

nav-logo.png

I always thought of Saskatchewan as "Packers Canada," myself, but given that three (is it still three?) of the nine teams are publicly owned or municipally controlled in some fashion, the Esks could make that claim.

I always found the CFL's ownership fascinating. A third of the league municipally/publicly owned, a third owned by two guys who have so much money that their teams are basically expensive toys, and a third in the big markets that get new owners every X number of years (well, Montreal and Toronto historically; Ottawa's fate will play itself out) because they realize that being in one of the "big three" markets is actually a financial curse rather than a blessing.

I see Edmonton as Packers Canada because of three reasons:

1. Green and Gold

2. Publicly Owned

3. Historically Great Franchise

Plus: Great bounce-back game for the Argos. The D was MUCH better, and Ray and Owens played like...well, Ray and Owens.

Minus: Durie out for six weeks. Gah.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I was lucky enough to score a job at TD Place and had my first shift yesterday, (there was a fan appreciation event with a ribbon-cutting, team intros, and an autograph session on the field). I must say that the stadium looks amazing! There's still a ton of construction going on around Lansdowne Park, which won't be entirely finished until next year, and there are still some finishing touches to complete before the 18th, but I was very impressed. The completely rebuilt south-side stands are very modern and the updates to the north-side look great. The buzz from all the fans was very positive and I think the home opener will be a huge success. In Hamilton things don't seem to be going quite so smoothly. Tim Horton's Field won't be ready for the Ti-Cats' first two home games, forcing them to temporarily relocate to McMaster.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4619714-tim-hortons-field-won-t-be-ready-for-first-two-ticat-home-games/

Got tickets to the Eskies-REDBLACKS game tomorrow. Excited, because it's my first Eskimos game in Edmonton since I was six.

I see Edmonton as Packers Canada because of three reasons:

1. Green and Gold

2. Publicly Owned

3. Historically Great Franchise

I agree, and as an American, this is why I support the Eskimos.

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived