Did the Celtics use a different, skinnier number font?

That's really strange - the insides are angled too, like MLB block. It's not just a skinnier font, it's a totally different one. Nice find.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What begs the question though, is WHY is it a photoshop? Bird played his entire career for the Celtics (and he obviously wasn't in college in the picture) so he would have been wearing a Celtics #33 jersey when the picture was taken. What was the point of the photoshop job?

What begs the question though, is WHY is it a photoshop? Bird played his entire career for the Celtics (and he obviously wasn't in college in the picture) so he would have been wearing a Celtics #33 jersey when the picture was taken. What was the point of the photoshop job?

Just to try to make it look better.

IIRC, that's from preseason 1990 when the NBA on-court apparel license shifted to Champion from MacGregor Sand-Knit. Teams such as the Celtics, Spurs and Jazz that had previously worn Sand-Knit block numbers used the Champion block numbers during that preseason... and then switched back to Sand-Knit block for the regular season. Not sure of the reasoning, but I'm sure teams like the Celtics looked at their jerseys and saw something was 'off.' I do remember some of the jerseys with the Champion font trickling into regular season use, as well.

There were several teams that actually adopted the Champion block font full-time in 1990 (and used the font for several years after that): Seattle, Sacramento and Washington.

IIRC, that's from preseason 1990 when the NBA on-court apparel license shifted to Champion from MacGregor Sand-Knit. Teams such as the Celtics, Spurs and Jazz that had previously worn Sand-Knit block numbers used the Champion block numbers during that preseason... and then switched back to Sand-Knit block for the regular season. Not sure of the reasoning, but I'm sure teams like the Celtics looked at their jerseys and saw something was 'off.' I do remember some of the jerseys with the Champion font trickling into regular season use, as well.

There were several teams that actually adopted the Champion block font full-time in 1990 (and used the font for several years after that): Seattle, Sacramento and Washington.

That makes sense. I do know that the Jazz wore the different numbers into the season. For instance when they played the Suns in Japan.

164622567_10----130924-alltimegal.jpg

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Not photo shopped. .rossyo is correct. Celtics, Jazz, Pistons (I believe) and several other teams were affected briefly by the manufacturer switch. However some jerseys weren't all fixed by the regular season. I remember this around the 91-93 years teams switched from thick to thin or vice versa in numbers.

shado_logo.gif

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

That's excellent info. Nice work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived