Branding Speculation / News for Beckham's Miami MLS Side

Brian in Boston

Come on everyone. We all know that it will be Miami FC or FC Miami...or if they really think outside of the box they will go with Miami United!

Pure speculation on my part, but I could very well see Miami United FC as an homage to Beckham's original club, Manchester United. Both would carry the MUFC acronym.

True, there's already a Miami United that plays in NPSL, but I believe they've already stated that they'd be willing to give up the name to a Beckham-backed club.

Here's even more far-fetched speculation by me:

Team gets named MUFC. We all know about the connection NYCFC/MCFC have made.

Man U develops an identical relationship with Becks and Miami...

Miami and New York become rivals?

In my bizarro world, that would so totally happen.

I feel Man U cut ties with Beckham long ago, and thus i don't see anything like this happening

Agreed 100%. Just thought of it to be a sweet far-fetched idea

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's unpopular with American sports fans but I love leaving it Miami FC and then let the nickname eventually evolve from the fan base as the team plays. Isn't that how old nicknames used to come about?

I agree with this. I am all for European like names. I love the nicknames that come about like the Magpies, Baggies, Toffees, etc.

I know it's unpopular with American sports fans but I love leaving it Miami FC and then let the nickname eventually evolve from the fan base as the team plays. Isn't that how old nicknames used to come about?

Yes, and I love to see it when it happens today.

I know this is how the old football clubs in England/Europe use to do it. But if you want the fans/ supporters come up with the name, why not just have them submit their favorites and the one with most votes wins.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it just seems strange to start out a bee team with no nickname.

columbusdestroyersrf6.png

osuzd9.png

• 4 months later...

Whoever submitted it is in the Virgin Islands. I hope this isn't it. Adidas should be the one who comes up with the logo as per the CBA. I'm not a fan of the logo, and I think unless Miami fans push for the name, Miami Fusion will not return.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That logo would look perfect with seafoam green and pink as the color scheme. A return of the blue and yellow also wouldn't be bad, but defenitely hoping for some pink incorporation.

I'm a fan of the scheme and don't have any problems with them choosing fusion over FC.

Whoever submitted it is in the Virgin Islands. I hope this isn't it.

That's just a holding company. The attorney of record is Mark Passler, who has some connection to Beckham. This chart dates back to the original filings, which were just the name, but holds for this new one as well:

BeckhamFusion.jpg

Adidas should be the one who comes up with the logo as per the CBA.

Where did you get that? New York City FC's new logo was created for them by New York-based designer Rafael Esquer. Orlando City's new logo came from an open contest.

After the initial expansion announcement, Beckham posed for photos with the Southern Legion, their Supporters Group:

In the absence of a team,

waitwaitwaitwaitwait how can you support something that doesn't exist?!? MLSies, I swear

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Okay. A large Northeast Corridor city would eventually get an MLS franchise to go with the ones in Boston, New York, and Washington. boom

I get that there's something to be said for petitioning the league. The NHL has Nordiques Nation showing up to games and being a nuisance. But at least that's born of a team that existed for 23 years. This just seems like putting the cart before the horse. For all the talk about how the soccer ideal is to give teams names like "City FC" and let traditions develop organically, how can you do that when you've established the official fan club of a team while it's still little more than a twinkle in David Beckham's eye?

Where does the fanbase come from, then? North American soccer isn't English football. The way teams are formed and how fanbases are made are completely different. It may seem "fake" for team names to be created and supporter groups to be formed before the team even exists, but that's just how the creation of soccer clubs are born here in the US. And if you want a team in the MLS, you will need the money. It cannot be compared to European leagues and teams because it's very different

I don't think anyone in these groups is creating team names.

But I still fail to see what the problem is, or where the derision comes from. Isn't it a good thing for fans of the sport to band together to promote their city? That seems to me to be the very essence of "develop(ing) organically". They're showing that there is an existing soccer culture to be tapped into, one ready and eager for MLS.

I don't think anyone in these groups is creating team names.

But I still fail to see what the problem is, or where the derision comes from. Isn't it a good thing for fans of the sport to band together to promote their city? That seems to me to be the very essence of "develop(ing) organically". They're showing that there is an existing soccer culture to be tapped into, one ready and eager for MLS.

That's specifically what happened in Philadelphia. MLS was bugged over and over by the SOB's about the viability of the region and they have delivered, even if the team haven't. Miami has a history of being fickle in it's support of even winning teams which is why some folks discount these supporter groups. I'm fine with bringing back the Fusion name, I just don't want more generic names like Miami United or Miami City.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yes, and I love to see it when it happens today.

Yes and no. Some teams were, some weren't. The Packers were always named the Packers because of their early sponsors. Halas named the Bears the Bears as a means to play off the name of the Cubs. Toronto's NHL team became the St. Pats not because the fans bestowed that name on them but because they wanted to appeal to Toronto's Irish community. They took the name Maple Leafs because their new owner, Conn Smythe, wanted a patriotic nickname.

The idea that all older teams from the turn of their century have nicknames that evolved naturally is a falsehood.

Miami FC is a bad, bad idea; that name has awful history. Oh, and the trademark's probably still owned by the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I personally think something Hispanic could work well in South Fla. Maybe something like Atlético Miami.

Primary magenta would be cool, but with Orlando City owns royal purple. Dark aqua and pink with a flamingo on the crest would be interesting:

background-image-stripes-and-lines-seaml

How about the Enterprise? Miami is a vector of capitalism, particularly the illegal kind. Too bad people would just make Star Trek jokes.

I'm going to say no to your stick of Fruit Stripe gum up there. I'd prefer to have some tropical/pastel green and yellow involved.

Archived