NAVO - North American Velo Organization

JMurr

So I realize that I have been rather fickle in the past with threads I have created. Furthermore I realize that this has irked many of you. A league like this was my original intention for a thread on these boards but I had somewhat of a learning curve to come to the process I would pursue in accomplishing it. Along the way I have tried things like the Curling league which did not exactly pan out the way I wanted.

That having been said let me move forward with this thread. This is how it will work.

We are setting the clock back to 1882. As we go we are going to move ever closer to the present. Hopefully one day, perhaps years from now, reach the present. As we go along the history of a league and each of its franchises will develop. Every logo, uniform, home arena, player, and game.

What sport have I chosen for this league? Velo. What is Velo? Velo is a make believe bicycle racing game. The name is derived from velodrome. A velodrome is a sloped bicycle racing track commonly used in the Olympics and real racing games like Madison. To keep this as brief as possible if you are still unclear as to what a velodrome is click this link.

What I want to spend time explaining is what the make believe game of Velo is and how it works, so that you can picture it in your mind as you follow this thread. As I said the name is short for velodrome therefore naturally the game is played on a velodrome. Two teams compete. Each team is made up of 6 riders. 3 of them are starters the other 3 make up the bench reserves or options as they are referred to in this sport. Each rider is assigned a different position. The starters are made up of the following positions; Leadoff (generally the teams fastest or most experienced rider), Middle (the next fastest or most experienced rider), and Cleanup (you guess it the next fastest or most experienced rider). The positions on the bench are referred to as the First Option, Second Option, and Third Option. Like the starters the bench positions are usually determined by the speed or experience of each rider.

The game is played in sets. A set is a race. These races are time races not distance races. In other words each race lasts five minutes, therefore whoever has traveled the most distance after five minutes finishes in first place. 3 riders from each team (6 total riders) compete in each set. A game consists of 3-5 sets dependent upon the score.

How to score points. Each set has a potential to earn a team up to 3 points. Only one team will score in a set. The team who’s rider wins or finishes in first place in each set scores that sets points. They will receive a point for said riders first place finish plus a point for each of his teammates who finishes ahead of the first place rider on the sets losing team. Under this system only so many score possibilities exist. For instance no team can score more than 9 points in a game because once a team has reached 9 a path no longer exists for the opposing team to tie or surpass this score. I hope this is clear and makes sense but if not I think the scoring and how it works will increasingly clarify itself as the games are presented on this thread. One last note ties stand in this league. The only time a game will play into overtime is post season games that must have a winner.

Now the set up for the leagues beginnings. Let us travel back to Monday, May 1, 1882; the day William Kissam Vanderbilt announced the formation of the North American Velo Organization (NAVO). Vanderbilt who owns Madison Square Garden (the original) will own the first franchise which he intends to name the Manhattan Jockeys. He will sale an initial three other franchises. The Jockeys name comes from the fact that Vanderbilt also is an owner and enthusiast of race horses.

I am sharing at this time the initial concepts for the leagues logo and the Manhattan Jockeys logo. Please share your C&C.

NAVL1882_zpsf6e4690b.png

ManhattanJockeys1892_zpsd3d7218b.png

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday, May 4, 1882 – Just a couple days following the announcement of the intended formation of the league William Kissam Vanderbilt shares the news that he has sold two franchises. First one is sold to his wife Alva Vanderbilt. This is a highly unorthodox move selling a franchise to not only his wife but a women, considering the day and age. Alva however is a pioneer. She is at the forefront of a growing women’s movement and her strong will has already placed her in other endeavors traditionally not suited for women of her era. For instance Alva is intimately involved in the construction of the many mansions’ she and her husband are building. Having proven her self as an effective manager in these mansion building projects she convinces her husband that allowing her to help build the NAVO would be wise. Alva intends to move her team to Newport, Rhode Island, a city she has made her home from time to time. Finding a venue in Newport however is proving difficult and may require that she build one. As for a name for the team she intends to honor the cities history and name the team the Newport Quakers. The Society of Friends, more commonly referred to as Quakers, were ever present in the early settlement of Newport and its surrounding area.

The second franchise announced on this day is a direct result of Alva’s involvement in building the league. This franchise will be sold to Alva’s close friend Consuelo Montagu, Duchess of Manchester. The duchess will be a partner in owning the team. In fact she, more disposed to conform to custom in a male dominated society, will be the minority partner with only 10% ownership while her husband George Montagu, 8th Duke of Manchester will be the majority owner with 90%. Outwardly the duke will appear to be in control of the team, being that he is the majority owner, however the duchess will operate the team. The duchess, who was born in Louisiana, has arranged for the team to play their home games at Fair Grounds Race Course in New Orleans. A movable velodrome will be built and moved just inside the infield near the stands whenever her team has a home game. As for a name she chooses to call the team the New Orleans Buccaneers. The name is fitting for a city full of lore and legend in its history regarding its presence as a port city. Furthermore the dutchess belongs to a group of socialites in New York who are referred to as the Buccaneers.

Watch for initial concept logos that are to be forthcoming.

For the league logo I would lessen the amount of spokes on the wheel and make the line stroke thicker. Maybe only have like 10-12 spokes. The wing looks good for a vintage logo. But, maybe get rid of the outline on the league's typeface and make it one solid color in all caps. I think the Jockeys logo is perfect.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Friday, May 5, 1882 – A log of new hitting the presses this day.

First Duchess Consuelo Montagu released the first rendering of the logo for her team New Orleans Buccaneers. Your thoughts are requested to help improve the logo before the season starts.

NewOrleansBuccaneers_zpsae1cac31.png

Second William Kissam Vanderbilt presented the fourth and final franchise owner. His close friend Leonard Jerome will be that owner. Jerome is the founder and owner of Sheepshead Bay Race Track in Brooklyn, New York and he will make this the home of his velo team. In honor of the areas Dutch history, Jerome will call his team the Brooklyn Dutchmen. Thus the first four teams for the leagues inaugural season in 1893 will be the Manhattan Jockeys, Newport Quakers, New Orleans Buccaneers, and Brooklyn Dutchmen.

The third bit of news to come out this day was the order teams will make their selections at the inaugural Race Wars. That order will be New Orleans Buccaneers, Newport Quakers, Manhattan Jockeys, Brooklyn Dutchmen. The order will reverse for the second round then reverse back for the third. This will repeat itself one more time for a fourth, fifth, and sixth round.

Naturally this raises questions like what is race wars? Every season will start at Race Wars, essentially a league convention. Every team will be present. It will be held every year at the home of the previous season’s lowest ranked team. It is also the leagues draft process for rookies. How that works will become more apparent as time goes on but for now a basic rundown is this; new talent will be scouted by scouts employed by the league, not by the individual teams. Ever year these scouts will invite some of these newly discovered talents to Race Wars. The amount they will be allowed to invite will be equal to the amount of open spots on roasters plus one. At Race Wars the various teams who need to fill spots on their rosters will be able to test run these prospects and make their selection. The premier Race Wars will be held in New Orleans. A logo for the event will be forthcoming.

First Duchess Consuelo Montagu released the first rendering of the logo for her team New Orleans Buccaneers. Your thoughts are requested to help improve the logo before the season starts.

My suggestion would be to thicken the stroke on the circle and eliminate the some of the extra white and black stroke on the mouth and eyes. I do suggest giving the face a more menacing or stern look, though.

For the league logo I would lessen the amount of spokes on the wheel and make the line stroke thicker. Maybe only have like 10-12 spokes. The wing looks good for a vintage logo. But, maybe get rid of the outline on the league's typeface and make it one solid color in all caps. I think the Jockeys logo is perfect.

NAVL1882B_zps1656039a.png

My suggestion would be to thicken the stroke on the circle and eliminate the some of the extra white and black stroke on the mouth and eyes. I do suggest giving the face a more menacing or stern look, though.

I disagree with making it more menacing. Old logos didn't really look mean.

2mow2dk.jpg2j2sx87.jpgscz0cx.jpgkdsrir.jpg

NAVL1882B_zps1656039a.png

Definite improvement. But, maybe add a circle in the center wheel and change the typeface to something turn of the century appropriate.

I disagree with making it more menacing. Old logos didn't really look mean.

You're right on that one. I retract my statement about the menacing look.

Seeking opinions:

For the Newport Quakers I want to create an interlocking letters type logo. Something similar to and inspired by the examples that are shown below. I am however having a hard time finding a font to use. Suggestions please.

Untitled_zpsc9046284.png

Friday, May 12, 1882 – A few tid-bits of new news. A week after announcing he has purchased the fourth and final franchise for the league Leonard Jerome unveiled the initial concept for the logo of his Brooklyn Dutchmen. The logo is inspired by the coat of arms of Breukelen, Netherlands the town for which Brooklyn, New York is named. C&C.

BrooklynDutchmen1882_zpsbbf7f295.png

Alva Vanderbilt also released a story to the press on this day. She shared that she is in the early stages of planning the construction of a velodrome stadium for her team. However in the meantime, in order to be ready for the inaugural season, she informed us that the Newport Quakers will actually be renamed the Rhode Island Quakers. This is due to the fact that their temporary home will be Messer Street Grounds in Providence, Rhode Island.

Alva’s husband William Kissam Vanderbilt also had some news to share he made the announcement that the logo, as it exists, below has been officially accepted as the logo of the team.

ManhattanJockeys1892_zpsd3d7218b.png

NewOrleansBuccaneers1882B_zpsd7a36c82.pn

NewOrleansBuccaneers1882B_zpsd7a36c82.pn

Much better. Very realistic for the period.

Archived