Making a Redskins Fauxback Concept Helmet

HailGoldPants

I'm starting the process of making a new helmet. I have a decent size helmet collection and I've made/reconditioned most the helmets in my collection myself. For my next helmet, I'm making a Redskins "fauxback" helmet using the colors and logo that the team used on their throwback uniform from the past two season.

I typically start by making a quick photoshop of what I envision the helmet to eventually look like. I'm pretty settled on the logo and the striping, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the facemask. My natural inclination to go with a gray mask, but that seems typical and boring for this fauxback. I've also toyed with gold and burgundy masks.

Which mask do you think would like best?....

redskins_fauxback_helmet_angle-e13925830

redskins_fauxback_helmet_angle_gold_mask

redskins_fauxback_helmet_angle_burgundy_

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Instead of the current stripe you have, I might even dare to make the helmet like the one from the early 60's. This one: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/1060/Washington_Redskins/1959/Helmet_Logo.

I have made one before, and it was a royal pain in the a**. I did think about getting a smaller feather stripe to use with this design, but thought it would be too cluttered.

21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I finished this project this past spring, but never posted pics....

skins_fauxback1.jpg

skins_fauxback_front.jpg

I decided to reverse the stripe colors, with the white on the outside, mainly as a nod to the team's current helmet stripes. I almost wish that I had gone with a single gold stripe.

I recently made a second "Alfred Morris" style helmet and went with the single stripe look....

2014-11-07-22-01-16.jpg

Which do you like more?

Archived