Burmy's Mid-Major CBB Courts (LIU Brooklyn now up)

Burmy

First off, thank you to lightning25 (wherever you are) for your basketball court template for Paint.

NOTE: THIS SERIES IS FOR MID-MAJOR TEAMS...I think it's time somebody gave them the shine they deserve.

#1 St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers

To begin with, I picked the Catholic school in a borough I've always been fond of. The St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers are one of two Division I college basketball programs in New York City's largest borough (the other being conference archrival the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds, who meet twice a year in the Battle of Brooklyn). Their current gym, the Lynch Gym at Generoso Pope Physical Education Center (often called "The Pope"), has character, but IMHO is WAY TOO SMALL at a capacity of only 1,200. Therefore, my design had them moving to the Barclays Center for more high-profile games (smaller ones still being at The Pope).

As far as the color scheme goes, I stuck with The Pope's pattern (blue sides, red paint), however, I put the "BROOKLYN ST. FRANCIS" wordmark in front and center (similar to the Nets' "Brooklyn New York" logo placement). As for the court, I named it after Dennis McDermott, who played for the Terriers from 1971 until his graduation in 1974, held the team's all-time scoring record, and whose number 22 remains the only retired uniform number in school history.

Of course, I didn't want to leave the Terriers part out, so I put the side-facing dog's head inside the paint between the 3-point line and the key.

StFrancisTerriers_zps11695ab2.png?t=1392

All C&C is greatly appreciated...next up will either be another NEC team or a MAAC team (suggestions welcome).

bYhYmxh.png

#2 Siena Saints

Located in Loudonville, New York, Siena College's basketball team is a true diamond in the rough (such to the point where even though they have an on-campus arena, the men's team plays in the Times Union Center in the city of Albany). The Saints are arguably the most successful team in the MAAC when it comes to postseason success; despite appearing in less tournaments than rivals Iona and Manhattan, the Saints have advanced past the round of 64 three times, picking up wins over third-seeded Stanford in 1989, fourth-seeded Vanderbilt in 2008, and eighth-seeded Ohio State in 2009, respectively.

Unfortunately, their current court has big Times Union Center and MAAC logos plastered all over it, leaving little to show that it's Siena's home court. Therefore, I put Bernie in center-court, and pawprints in between the key and the 3-point arc. The court is named after Marc Brown, who led the Saints to the first of their "miracle runs" in 1989, and played for various minor-league and European teams before becoming the head coach of the New Jersey City University Gothic Knights (Division III), a position he has held since 2007.

SienaSaints_zps35ad95f6.png

Once again, C&C is appreciated.

Font size on the floor seems proportionately large.

Do you mean in center court or on the other markings too?

bYhYmxh.png

I would agree. You could probably decrease all of it, actually: center court, court name and logos. That said, I think the Terrier head and Times Union Center look OK.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I mean all of it. In fact even the logos are a little big as well. Although I think large Center Court logos have seen a rise in popularity. I think the center court logo on Siena works.

Is it possible that maybe you can increase the size of the template you are working with? I think perhaps you are stretching the logos and increasing the font size because when you put them into your template, to be proportionally scaled, you have to shrink them down to such a size they are perhaps hard to read or recognize. Working with a larger template might solve this dilemma.

Just want to add, all of this just constructive criticism. I do like your idea and am going to be checking in regularly to see what new you have added.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

I mean all of it. In fact even the logos are a little big as well. Although I think large Center Court logos have seen a rise in popularity. I think the center court logo on Siena works.

Is it possible that maybe you can increase the size of the template you are working with? I think perhaps you are stretching the logos and increasing the font size because when you put them into your template, to be proportionally scaled, you have to shrink them down to such a size they are perhaps hard to read or recognize. Working with a larger template might solve this dilemma.

Just want to add, all of this just constructive criticism. I do like your idea and am going to be checking in regularly to see what new you have added.

If you'd like, I could cut down the font sizes...however, unless I can find a bigger template that'll work for Paint, I don't see this current one going away anytime soon.

Will be working on the fixes tonight.

bYhYmxh.png

Fixed the St. Francis court...minimized the fonts & court logos, also cleaned up the Barclays Center logo to just the wordmark (as the Nets have it).

Kept the Terrier head the same (per jdp) and the NEC logo the same (because they often do take up that much space)

StFrancisTerriers_zps25fbb362.png

Again, C&C is always welcome.

bYhYmxh.png

Fixed the St. Francis court...minimized the fonts & court logos, also cleaned up the Barclays Center logo to just the wordmark (as the Nets have it).

Kept the Terrier head the same (per jdp) and the NEC logo the same (because they often do take up that much space)

I like it. Looks good.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

I like it. Looks good.

Thank you ;) After further review, I started to think of St. Francis as Brooklyn's "classic" team, Dodgers colors and all, and LIU as Brooklyn's "modern, hip" team in Nets colors (even though they were here way before the Nets)

Anyway, here's the fixed Siena...kept the big dog the same, but reduced the court name font (because I was kinda hesitant on the choice), pawprints, and narrowed out the "Siena" wordmark to make it look like the one the Lakers used to have at the Staples Center.

SienaSaints_zps1ec8df09.png

Currently debating whether to do Canisius or LIU next...I'd more than likely give Canisius' court the First Niagara Center markings, while LIU's might once again be at Barclays.

bYhYmxh.png

Siena looks good. I think the dog logo is okay that size.

My vote for your next one (for what its worth) LIU.

Your wish is my command!

#3 LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds

Although they did not make their first NCAA Tournament appearance until 1981, LIU Brooklyn has quite a history with college basketball. Under the coaching of the Innovator Clair Bee himself (who instituted the 1-3-1 zone defense and the three-second rule among other things), the Blackbirds went undefeated in 1936 and 1939 and won the NIT title in 1939 and 1941 (back when the NIT was more prestigious than the NCAA). In addition to his coaching skill, Clair Bee was also quite an author, writing the Chip Hilton sports novel series about an athlete with strong skill and character who always finds a way to convince his teammates to play like he does, with the result often being the championship. Even so, the Clair Bee Coach of the Year Award is given to the college basketball coach who made the biggest innovations to the sport, as is the Chip Hilton award to the senior who displayed the most character off-the-court (evidently both have ceased to be awarded, as the last one of each was given in 2011).

More recently, the Blackbirds are three-time defending Northeast Conference Champions (winning the regular season title as well in 2011 and 2013), but have never won a game in the "Big Dance". Although this looks to be a rebuilding year, expect them to be a possible future mid-major giant a la VCU and Wichita State someday.

For the court, I had the Blackbirds at the Barclays Center as well, using a similar color pattern to the arena's main tenant the Nets. The font markings are simple, as is the "Clair Bee Court" moniker. For the center logo, I decided to put the current LIU logo inside the "Brooklyn New York" roundel that the Nets use at center court. (Unfortunately, I don't know how to make a herringbone pattern on Paint, so here's this simple one)

LIUBrooklynBlackbirds_zps0497d358.png

C&C always appreciated.

bYhYmxh.png

FWIW, while St. Francis has a small gym, they only average 400 ish people at every game, so the Barclays Center Is probably an unnecessary move.

You have a point there...however, I was thinking this court could work for their more high-profile games (a la the Battle of Brooklyn with LIU)

Anyway, now let's take it closer to home...Chicago State!

#4 Chicago State Cougars

Chicago State is one of the schools which is known for being at the bottom of the barrel in pretty much everything. Seriously, I've seen high schools with a better gameday experience than they've had. On the court, their highlights are finishing third in the NAIA Tournament in 1984 and going to the CIT in 2013. (They're also known for ragequitting the Mid-Continent Conference-now Summit League-in 2006). Needless to say, their current court lacks any character whatsoever too.

So I made some simple designs, which are a HUGE improvement over what they have now. The logo they have at center court right now is just a small wordmark which has NO place in the center, so I put that between the 3-point arc and the key and put the cougar head in center court. Also, I replaced the black NCAA logos with "JCC" (Jones Convocation Center) ones, as well as painted the key green and black. However, I didn't give the court any name, as there are no significant figures in Chi-State basketball worthy of that at this time.

ChicagoStateCougars_zps291a1ea0.png

You know the drill...keep the C&C coming!

bYhYmxh.png

Couple of things

- I see you have some of these schools playing at big arenas. I would've liked for their on campus facilities to be tweaked or done but it is your concept series.

- In my opinion, not every court should be named after someone necessarily or renamed (in the case of SFC, their court is already named after Peter Aquilone)

- SFC is okay but it could be better, Siena is okay as well

- Chicago State is great but I wouldn't put the JCC logo on the court at all, nor would i put the black in the painted area. I would eliminate the current center court logo completely, not relocate it to another part of the floor

- LIU. I like where you were going with it with the center court logo but I honestly like their current court design at the Wellness Center

Oh and btw there weren't as many St. Francis fans at the Battle of Brooklyn at Barclays yesterday as I would've expected (they pretty much had two or three sections that were mainly Terrier fans. Probably because it was an LIU home game but yeah)

Couple of things

- I see you have some of these schools playing at big arenas. I would've liked for their on campus facilities to be tweaked or done but it is your concept series.

- In my opinion, not every court should be named after someone necessarily or renamed (in the case of SFC, their court is already named after Peter Aquilone)

- SFC is okay but it could be better, Siena is okay as well

- Chicago State is great but I wouldn't put the JCC logo on the court at all, nor would i put the black in the painted area. I would eliminate the current center court logo completely, not relocate it to another part of the floor

- LIU. I like where you were going with it with the center court logo but I honestly like their current court design at the Wellness Center

Oh and btw there weren't as many St. Francis fans at the Battle of Brooklyn at Barclays yesterday as I would've expected (they pretty much had two or three sections that were mainly Terrier fans. Probably because it was an LIU home game but yeah)

1. I'm only doing the big arenas for schools whose venue seats 2,500 or fewer AND have a big arena in their city, OR who play in that big arena. That's why I didn't put Chicago State in the Sears Centre Arena.

2. Sorry...didn't know that. Will address your concern about SFC in my #1.5 post, in which I will give the court its current name and put it at "The Pope"

3. As I said, any feedback on how things can improve is welcome.

4. It was either that or nothing...as I said, nobody at Chi-State is notable enough to have the court named after them. I'll get rid of the black though and see what to do about the logo in the paint in between the 3 and the key (believe it or not, I don't think the Cougars have anything else in their current logo set)

5. Tried to emulate that as best I could...the "text circling the bird" is what inspired me to put the bird in the Nets' roundel.

Thank you again...I'm thinking about which one to do next (Likely another Midwest school)

bYhYmxh.png

OK...so here's an SFC version with it at "The Pope" and the Peter Aquilone Court:

StFrancisTerriers1_zps1774c5b8.png

Every bit of C&C is appreciated...will work on improvements to Chi-State before going on to my next one (any suggestions BTW?)

bYhYmxh.png

And here's Chi-State, with collegefootballgeek's suggestions taken to heart:

ChicagoStateCougars1_zps91673a28.png?t=1

Even this plain..it's still WAAAAY better than what they have now.

C&C appreciated, as is suggestions for the next one!

bYhYmxh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived