Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The helmet doesn't look glossy anymore, too.

Looks pretty glossy to me. Certainly not any other finish.

Definitely didn't look like this.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-20-at-7.09.56-PM.png

Wait...the Buccaneers home games aren't in a television studio?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I thin he means the super shiny metalic color they use to have

The helmets weren't super shiny in preseason either... Only Madden had them with super glossy helmets.

Today's helmets didn't look any different than this, other than the black streaks being eliminated:

c4s_mccownhit080914_13649591_8col.jpg454022434.0_standard_783.0.jpg

I thin he means the super shiny metalic color they use to have

The helmets weren't super shiny in preseason either... Only Madden had them with super glossy helmets.

Today's helmets didn't look any different than this, other than the black streaks being eliminated:

c4s_mccownhit080914_13649591_8col.jpg454022434.0_standard_783.0.jpg

I guess it's one mistake fixed then, not two...

To me today they looked much more dull and brown colored

Better? Worse? I haven't seen any TV today so I'll have to check out highlights when I get the chance.

From Getty Images:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/cornerback-johnthan-banks-of-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-news-photo/454923256

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/running-back-deangelo-williams-of-the-carolina-panthers-news-photo/454890170

BTW, it's always great to see Carolina in their blue unis. One of the best jerseys in the NFL.

Who cares what type of material is used for the reflective numbers. Why does that even matter?

Yeah, this is another example of the ridiculous negative hyperbole this set gets.

Sorry, no. It's not that we think the material is an issue (though reflective material on a sports uniform is in and of itself a travesty, in my opinion). It's that Nike made it an issue. Nike can't go a single press release without talking up their new materials and how "innovative" they are. When you make yourself out to be a genius who only uses state of the art space age materials the gods themselves dared not fathom expect to be ridiculed when it's revealed that you're using material widely used on safety garments.

I suspect that many people are simply reacting to the unique and somewhat odd looking number font.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I find the whole "I think people are just ______" attitude to be rather arrogant. As if the person saying it assumes what the people who disagree with them REALLY think.

I think this new set is garbage, and the number font is only one of many reasons why. Basically I see this change as irredeemable because each change from the previous set strikes me as a downgrade.

The colours: People say "well they're brighter now!" Yes, they are. They do "pop" more, but that's a bad thing, in my opinion. The Bucs' last set was thematically consistent. Yes, it was a bit on the dark side, but the dirty, grungy look fit the pirate theme perfectly. The deep, dark crimson evoked blood, and thus the logo had the look of a blood stained banner. The new brighter red doesn't work as well because it's too "clean."

The new pewter is also a downgrade. The old metallic pewter looked great. The new matte pewter looks like a really dark brown. It doesn't look like pewter at all to me.

The new emphasis on the orange also bugs me. It was never a huge part of the last set, which is what made it work. It was limited to striping and number outlines, and was almost an Easter egg those who noticed it. A subtle reference to the Bucco Bruce days hiding inside of a new, different scheme.

The logos: The old logos were perfect. Grungy, yet simple enough to be bold. The old skull looked like it came off a treasure map, as others have said. The old flag was a deep blood red, which gave it the appearance of being either blood stained or a flag of war. The tattered nature definitely helped. The new skull looks like a generic version of the metallic Terminator skull. Like something you'd find if you Googled "robotic skull clipart." It doesn't strike me as very pirate like at all.

The new alternate continues the theme of looking more like an illustration and less like a logo. It's a nice picture of a pirate ship. The old version was a better logo, however.

The new wordmark is ok. It's nice enough, it just looks a bit too clean. The previous workmark looked grungy. Fitting the pirate theme. It wasn't all that polished. The new one suffers by being too perfect.

The placement is also pointlessly weird. Why is the wordmark on one sleeve? It doesn't improve the look of the uniform. It's just different for the sake of it. Which almost never works.

The helmet: I never liked the oversized logo trend in the NCAA, and I was a bit peeved to see it in the NFL. It just looks goofy and gimicky to me. Not like something a pro team should be doing. The random black streaks add nothing to the look, and the chrome facemask is, again, different for the sake of being different. The black facemask was subdued. It didn't stand out. The chrome mask? It stands out by design.

The jerseys: Others have said the yoke isn't that egregious. I don't have a problem with the element in and of itself, I just don't like execution here. First and foremost, I find it to be a downgrade from the beautiful simplicity of the previous look. The old look pulled off a better look doing less, in my opinion. Back to the yoke though. I've never minded the Titans' look, and this seems a bit too similar to that. Shoulder yoke, square-ish font. The Titans, though, pull it off better. The Bucs' yoke seems to "flair" out a bit more, while the Titans' keeps it simple and straight.

I'm also not a fan of using pewter on the jerseys. First, it looks brown because of the matte materials. Secondly, pewter worked so well before because it was a unique metallic colour that was used the same way silver is so often used throughout the league. The Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for example, had uniforms that followed the same pattern. The metallic colours were confined to the helmets and pants, and that's what made both looks work. The metallic colours weren't overused in either. They provided a solid backbone for the set. The new jersey includes pewter and overexposes it, in my opinion.

The pants: I suppose I prefer the new Bucs/Jags style pants to the tapered stripes that began with the Broncos. Still don't like them though. They're just blocks of colour floating without purpose.

Number font: It is, in and of itself, an ugly font that is inferior to the standard block font it replaced in every way. Not only is it ugly, but its futuristic styling clashes with the pirate theme. Nike claimed they were meant to mimic "traditional buccaneer sword carvings," a claim that's disproven buy a simple Google search. Nothing about this font work.

The previous set may have been a traditional football look, but it managed to stand out because it was executed so well. The template was straightforward, but that was genius of it. The colour scheme was unique and the logos were full of character. Those were more then enough to give it a unique look. The basic template and block numbers allowed those elements to carry the uniform. It wasn't crammed full of elements competing for the viewer's attention. It was unique in its simplicity.

So yeah. There you have it. A thorough summary of why I find the new Buccaneers uniforms to be terrible.

This is word for word my feelings on this new uniform. This is the type of analysis that people should be expected to come up with when they're asked to defend a position on a certain uniform. Well done.

We're not just reacting to the number font and we're not just old "Fogies" stuck in our traditionalist ways. That's really lazy coming from the other side. We don't like the uniform because it's very poor design and very poor decision making and here's the reasons we believe this. Maybe get on this level while trying to defend said god awful uniform instead of name calling and halfassed justifications.

The Bucs actually did something right by removing the black streaks on the helmet. Those were an even more baffling addition to the most bafflingly bad uniform in the NFL and it's a good thing they're gone.

Now if they'd only replace the chrome face mask with a black one, revert back to the old logo, change the number font to standard block, lose the yoke, use black collars and cuffs, use the old sleeve logo, switch to metallic pewter pants, use black-orange-red-orange-black pants stripe, use black socks then they'd look good. I'd love to see if any of you concept wizards could bring that dream creation to life.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My 12 year old son says he likes them except for the number font. He also told me he likes the Jaguars' two-tone helmet.

I feel like a failure as a parent.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

My 12 year old son says he likes them except for the number font. He also told me he likes the Jaguars' two-tone helmet.

That is funny as younger brother (21 years younger than me) said he likes the Bucs and Jags as well. This next generation has no taste what so ever.

spacer.png

Who cares what type of material is used for the reflective numbers. Why does that even matter?

Yeah, this is another example of the ridiculous negative hyperbole this set gets.

Sorry, no. It's not that we think the material is an issue (though reflective material on a sports uniform is in and of itself a travesty, in my opinion). It's that Nike made it an issue. Nike can't go a single press release without talking up their new materials and how "innovative" they are. When you make yourself out to be a genius who only uses state of the art space age materials the gods themselves dared not fathom expect to be ridiculed when it's revealed that you're using material widely used on safety garments.

I suspect that many people are simply reacting to the unique and somewhat odd looking number font.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I find the whole "I think people are just ______" attitude to be rather arrogant. As if the person saying it assumes what the people who disagree with them REALLY think.

I think this new set is garbage, and the number font is only one of many reasons why. Basically I see this change as irredeemable because each change from the previous set strikes me as a downgrade.

The colours: People say "well they're brighter now!" Yes, they are. They do "pop" more, but that's a bad thing, in my opinion. The Bucs' last set was thematically consistent. Yes, it was a bit on the dark side, but the dirty, grungy look fit the pirate theme perfectly. The deep, dark crimson evoked blood, and thus the logo had the look of a blood stained banner. The new brighter red doesn't work as well because it's too "clean."

The new pewter is also a downgrade. The old metallic pewter looked great. The new matte pewter looks like a really dark brown. It doesn't look like pewter at all to me.

The new emphasis on the orange also bugs me. It was never a huge part of the last set, which is what made it work. It was limited to striping and number outlines, and was almost an Easter egg those who noticed it. A subtle reference to the Bucco Bruce days hiding inside of a new, different scheme.

The logos: The old logos were perfect. Grungy, yet simple enough to be bold. The old skull looked like it came off a treasure map, as others have said. The old flag was a deep blood red, which gave it the appearance of being either blood stained or a flag of war. The tattered nature definitely helped. The new skull looks like a generic version of the metallic Terminator skull. Like something you'd find if you Googled "robotic skull clipart." It doesn't strike me as very pirate like at all.

The new alternate continues the theme of looking more like an illustration and less like a logo. It's a nice picture of a pirate ship. The old version was a better logo, however.

The new wordmark is ok. It's nice enough, it just looks a bit too clean. The previous workmark looked grungy. Fitting the pirate theme. It wasn't all that polished. The new one suffers by being too perfect.

The placement is also pointlessly weird. Why is the wordmark on one sleeve? It doesn't improve the look of the uniform. It's just different for the sake of it. Which almost never works.

The helmet: I never liked the oversized logo trend in the NCAA, and I was a bit peeved to see it in the NFL. It just looks goofy and gimicky to me. Not like something a pro team should be doing. The random black streaks add nothing to the look, and the chrome facemask is, again, different for the sake of being different. The black facemask was subdued. It didn't stand out. The chrome mask? It stands out by design.

The jerseys: Others have said the yoke isn't that egregious. I don't have a problem with the element in and of itself, I just don't like execution here. First and foremost, I find it to be a downgrade from the beautiful simplicity of the previous look. The old look pulled off a better look doing less, in my opinion. Back to the yoke though. I've never minded the Titans' look, and this seems a bit too similar to that. Shoulder yoke, square-ish font. The Titans, though, pull it off better. The Bucs' yoke seems to "flair" out a bit more, while the Titans' keeps it simple and straight.

I'm also not a fan of using pewter on the jerseys. First, it looks brown because of the matte materials. Secondly, pewter worked so well before because it was a unique metallic colour that was used the same way silver is so often used throughout the league. The Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for example, had uniforms that followed the same pattern. The metallic colours were confined to the helmets and pants, and that's what made both looks work. The metallic colours weren't overused in either. They provided a solid backbone for the set. The new jersey includes pewter and overexposes it, in my opinion.

The pants: I suppose I prefer the new Bucs/Jags style pants to the tapered stripes that began with the Broncos. Still don't like them though. They're just blocks of colour floating without purpose.

Number font: It is, in and of itself, an ugly font that is inferior to the standard block font it replaced in every way. Not only is it ugly, but its futuristic styling clashes with the pirate theme. Nike claimed they were meant to mimic "traditional buccaneer sword carvings," a claim that's disproven buy a simple Google search. Nothing about this font work.

The previous set may have been a traditional football look, but it managed to stand out because it was executed so well. The template was straightforward, but that was genius of it. The colour scheme was unique and the logos were full of character. Those were more then enough to give it a unique look. The basic template and block numbers allowed those elements to carry the uniform. It wasn't crammed full of elements competing for the viewer's attention. It was unique in its simplicity.

So yeah. There you have it. A thorough summary of why I find the new Buccaneers uniforms to be terrible.

Bravo!!! :notworthy:

That may be the best post that I have read describing why the new Buccaneers uniform sucks!

spacer.png

There are so many dumb decisions made with this uniform. Why the hell do they need pewter socks?

I just noticed the little pirate flag logo on the black 'stripe' of the pants. Talk about awkward logo placement - this thing is still getting worse every time I see it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That is funny as younger brother (21 years younger than me) said he likes the Bucs and Jags as well. This next generation has no taste what so ever.

Add my 11-year-old to the list. He likes the Jaguars helmet (even bought the mini helmet, and he only has four total) and the Bucs jerseys, except for the numbers.

There are so many dumb decisions made with this uniform. Why the hell do they need pewter socks?

I just noticed the little pirate flag logo on the black 'stripe' of the pants. Talk about awkward logo placement - this thing is still getting worse every time I see it.

It's not black, it's just darker because of sweat, these are getting worse and worse

It's not black, it's just darker because of sweat, these are getting worse and worse

Seriously? It looks black. But if you're right, then yeah- it's even worse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived