Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

They have the opportunity to have a really nice logo and set if they don't screw it up.

They already have perfect uniform, so anything they do will screw it up.

My attempt at re-creating the mini-helmet with a little chrome:

1hwp.png

(Thanks/Credit to Fraser Davidson for the template)

This is sharp

The only thing this helmet needs is stripes...I really hate plain white helmets.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have the opportunity to have a really nice logo and set if they don't screw it up.

They already have perfect uniform, so anything they do will screw it up.

I have always loved the Bucs' look but I feel that overall it is too dark. Maybe brighten it a bit?

That is such a joke that a gigantic apparel company like nike cannot replicate certain colors.

You clearly have no understanding as to how colors are appear in different fabrics and materials.

You're right I don't but I don't work for Nike so I don't have to.

So...continue to hurl insults based on completely ignorant assumptions then?

Not at all. No matter what goes into making fabrics, it's dumbfounding that Nike can't reproduce certain colors accurately. It's much more dumbfounding that they would even have the nerve to say "close enough" and offer the Jets the pieces of crap they did, with three different shades of green. It's most ludicrous, however, that the Jets accepted those awful jerseys instead of telling Nike to piss up a rope.

Exactly. Nike is my favorite when it comes to apparel so I am not trying to insult them. I just don't get it.

As someone who has very little experience in fabrication and apparel (just from running a small apparel business) I can tell you that color replicating is the most frustrating and complicated process i have ever encountered. And that was just for t-shirts, and screen print ink.

Could Nike be doing a better job at it? Probably. But unless their clients have a problem with it, then it is not worth the extensive man hours and capital that would have to go into developing new fabrics and/or dyes and the massive trial and error process.

jNTsTyQ.png

I'm saying it's staying a pewter helmet but just a chrome face mask. If I remember correctly when Nike took over wasn't there something where they couldn't replicate the color of pewter being used? Where the pants were a hybrid of the old pant material with the new mesh side panels? Maybe I'm wrong, probably am, but if that's the case this could just be a simple introducing of a different pewter color, as well with the new logo and stuff.

I remember that Nike could not replicate the Seahawks former color, but I don't recall anything about the Bucs.
That is such a joke that a gigantic apparel company like nike cannot replicate certain colors.

You clearly have no understanding as to how colors are appear in different fabrics and materials.

One insult, if it was even an insult. All I'm saying is that Nike should have have the resources necessary to do so. And if you guys didn't come at me like you did, I would have said that it could be a legal issue with Reebok. But thank you for calling me ignorant.

First issue is uniform material: Metallic pewter paint is developed then sprayed on plastic for the helmet. Nylon/spandex thread is then woven into pants after it is color matched to the helmet. Fortunately nylon/spandex does a good job of closely reproducing metallic shades.

The next issue is merchandise and new generation uniforms: Materials are primary poly based for new generation unis with some nylon. These materials lack sheen and do not reproduce metallics or deep colors well. Also typical merch is either cotton, polyester, or a blend which once again make matching metallic difficult next to impossible.

The final issue is raw material sourcing. There are very few global sources that produce fabric dyes and textiles on an industrial scale. Unlike paint which can be virtually customized and matched, fabrics simply do not have that same capability (yet).

Nike designs, markets, and sells sportswear and hardgoods. They do none of their own manufacturing and must rely upon contractors and vendors to source and produce their products. All of their competition uses the exact same business model. The only difference is that the swoosh makes a business decision to push their fabrics first and foremost with color matching being secondary (e.g. silver = gray in dri fit terms). Usually they can find a reasonable compromise to a match but some times they decide that it's simply not worth it to spend endless time in r&d with suppliers to make very unique color matches in their preferred fabrics.

Bottom line. Fabric and material matching to color swatches is not easy and costs money.

I'm saying it's staying a pewter helmet but just a chrome face mask. If I remember correctly when Nike took over wasn't there something where they couldn't replicate the color of pewter being used? Where the pants were a hybrid of the old pant material with the new mesh side panels? Maybe I'm wrong, probably am, but if that's the case this could just be a simple introducing of a different pewter color, as well with the new logo and stuff.

I remember that Nike could not replicate the Seahawks former color, but I don't recall anything about the Bucs.

One insult, if it was even an insult. All I'm saying is that Nike should have have the resources necessary to do so. And if you guys didn't come at me like you did, I would have said that it could be a legal issue with Reebok. But thank you for calling me ignorant.

First issue is uniform material: Metallic pewter paint is developed then sprayed on plastic for the helmet. Nylon/spandex thread is then woven into pants after it is color matched to the helmet. Fortunately nylon/spandex does a good job of closely reproducing metallic shades.

The next issue is merchandise and new generation uniforms: Materials are primary poly based for new generation unis with some nylon. These materials lack sheen and do not reproduce metallics or deep colors well. Also typical merch is either cotton, polyester, or a blend which once again make matching metallic difficult next to impossible.

The final issue is raw material sourcing. There are very few global sources that produce fabric dyes and textiles on an industrial scale. Unlike paint which can be virtually customized and matched, fabrics simply do not have that same capability (yet).

Nike designs, markets, and sells sportswear and hardgoods. They do none of their own manufacturing and must rely upon contractors and vendors to source and produce their products. All of their competition uses the exact same business model. The only difference is that the swoosh makes a business decision to push their fabrics first and foremost with color matching being secondary (e.g. silver = gray in dri fit terms). Usually they can find a reasonable compromise to a match but some times they decide that it's simply not worth it to spend endless time in r&d with suppliers to make very unique color matches in their preferred fabrics.

Bottom line. Fabric and material matching to color swatches is not easy and costs money.

I understand that it costs money, but if you are going to sell top quality products (NFL) then you should at least spend the time and money to do it right. I could understand this concept for a high school team. I suppose I believe in the old saying, "in order to make money, you have to spend money"

Now why would the the Buc want to change this hat:BuccaneersHelmet_zps0dbabfb6.png

That is precisely what I have been asking myself all week long. You should never mess with perfection. I suppose it is to change for change sake.

spacer.png

I understand that it costs money, but if you are going to sell top quality products (NFL) then you should at least spend the time and money to do it right. I could understand this concept for a high school team. I suppose I believe in the old saying, "in order to make money, you have to spend money"

Now why would the the Buc want to change this hat:BuccaneersHelmet_zps0dbabfb6.png

That is precisely what I have been asking myself all week long. You should never mess with perfection. I suppose it is to change for change sake.

At some point you (nfl) make a business decision that 29/32 of the franchisees are happy with their uniform fabric colors and you move on to bigger priorities. Revisit the open item next year.

In all reality the pewter has only looked great on the field. On merch it always has a horrible brown hue which looks like mud and nothing close to their team color. The one color I don't understand is the dark green, that should look 1000x better than it does on field. Even the swoosh's beloved ducks look 2 toned and drab in their dark green outfits.

Im also in the apparel industry, and even with PMS colors, our uniforms vary based on sheen. A jersey is flat, while shorts are shiny, and the colors like metalic can be replicated, but it is a challenge, and need a lot of trial and error, just to be close.

I wont be surprised to see metalic go away... its not like silver that can be replicated fairly easily.

And I deal with those same foreign vendors... even with an agent in country, things are challenging.

That said, I am very curious about the reveal.

Lets not kid ourselves, pewter is kinda ugly. There's a reason it's not used just about anywhere else on the planet.

The Buccaneers logo is close to perfection, but the helmet/pewter I'm not so sold on. I'm not sure losing the helmet is the tragedy some on here are making it out to be.

Say what? Who's kidding themselves? Also someone earlier mentioned how the pewter on merchandising is never right, and thats absolutely true until this past season i noticed an obvious change to most pewter merchandise for whatever reason they finally got it right.

Archived