2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still though, the Giants swung at balls repeatedly for strike 3, hit into 4 double plays, and had 4 errors. The Rockies have won 4 straight in SF, and are 6-35 elsewhere on the road during that time. I hate to say it, but to paraphrase Bill Callahan, the Giants are the dumbest team in America.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Eddings is a terrible umpire. With the dropped third strike, I think he just got caught up in the moment and figured "uh, if this guy ran, I guess it was dropped." There was no clear evidence in the game film, but it's still an out call 99% of the time.

The funny thing is, Eddings has been making unusually horrendous calls against the Sox since then, presumably to show that he doesn't favor them. He has always seemed like he was completely in over his head calling games. That being said, he's maybe not even in the top five of terrible umpires.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That was as much AJ Pierzynski being AJ Pierzynski as it was a bad call by the umpire. He had the gall to take off for first knowing the catcher caught the third strike. He got lucky and the umpire fell for it. (Same with Chase Utley's phantom beaning of a high Aroldis Chapman pitch in the 2010 playoffs. The ball was a solid foot away and Utley just took off for first.)

Sucks Pierzynski was the catcher for that White Sox team because that was an otherwise likable group and I really didn't like the Astros at the time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

That was as much AJ Pierzynski being AJ Pierzynski as it was a bad call by the umpire. He had the gall to take off for first knowing the catcher caught the third strike. He got lucky and the umpire fell for it. (Same with Chase Utley's phantom beaning of a high Aroldis Chapman pitch in the 2010 playoffs. The ball was a solid foot away and Utley just took off for first.)

Sucks Pierzynski was the catcher for that White Sox team because that was an otherwise likable group and I really didn't like the Astros at the time.

With the way it happened, I think AJ thought that Eddings thought the play was still live. AJ stood around for two seconds, went to throw his bat, then started running to first. Once again, video didn't definitively prove that the ball was caught or trapped, anyway. If that happened today, the challenge wouldn't be able to overturn it. Still, that is called a catch 99% of the time. Eddings made a mistake not adamantly calling it strike three, as I believe he thought it was caught initially, then AJ ran to first because he wasn't called out, then Eddings didn't know what happened so he called it a drop, figuring AJ wouldn't have ran unless it was dropped. So it was basically a young umpire getting swept up in the moment and not knowing what to do.

But ultimately, it didn't mean much because the game was tied at the time and heading to extra innings, Kelvim Escobar still gave up a stolen base and double afterwards, and the Sox wouldn't lose another game in those playoffs. It's far from the Jeffrey Maier, which was an "adorable" story.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But ultimately, it didn't mean much because the game was tied at the time and heading to extra innings, Kelvim Escobar still gave up a stolen base and double afterwards, and the Sox wouldn't lose another game in those playoffs. It's far from the Jeffrey Maier, which was an "adorable" story.

You just had to go and ruin my lunch my mentioning Jeffrey Maier, didn't you?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You just had to go and ruin my lunch my mentioning Jeffrey Maier, didn't you?

Yeah, really.

Still though, the Giants swung at balls repeatedly for strike 3, hit into 4 double plays, and had 4 errors. The Rockies have won 4 straight in SF, and are 6-35 elsewhere on the road during that time. I hate to say it, but to paraphrase Bill Callahan, the Giants are the dumbest team in America.

Don't worry. I think they'll be in the NLCS.

Madison Bumgarner with a great one-hit complete game shutout tonight with 13 strikeouts. Flirted with a perfect game until a Justin Morneau double in the 8th.

It was an fiery, emotional game, energizing game, by Bumgarner. One of the greatest games I've seen this year.

Yeah but they won more on the road wearing their jerseys with piping.

Archived