Fixing the Elite Ice Hockey League (Great Britain) *Nottingham Panthers and Fauxbacks!*

1clkgtramg

Alrighty, so I was thinking of cleaning up the Elite Ice Hockey League in Great Britain in hopes of creating a European Hockey League that would rank 3rd in Pro Hockey leagues. It would feature the Elite Ice Hockey League, Leagues in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, Lower Countries and Scandinavia as the KHL basically owns the rest. Country restricted, football style leagues aren't working; KHL got that right. I also wanted to make it somewhat realistic with most of them being owned by NHL teams or at least have agreements to develop players and all that business junk - so if some look too cookie cutter, NHL templates, well it's gonna happen. I was also possibly thinking of an AHL style farm team, development league. I'm just trying to guess what it would look like if hockey was as successful in Western Europe as it is here in North America. But, I won't get ahead of myself; I will start with just the EIHL.

Most Fonts were from Conrad at http://fontsbyconrad.wordpress.com/
Templates are custom and some from http://nhluniformmatchupdatabase.weebly.com

Anyway, I will start with one concept every so often and if a few people think an edit is needed, I will work on that until I am happy with it. I have a few finished already but I don't want to rush it so here goes.

I'll start off with Hull Stingrays

I wanted a double blue look and I originally was testing out drawing Hockey logos as I completely suck at it. I basically copied the Devil Rays logo but then thought it wasn't right, I need to be more Creative. So I made a basic Stingray design but wanted to keep the Manta Ray to keep it unique and aggressive. I still kept the Devil Rays style logo as a secondary logo because I needed a shoulder patch and was out of idea at the time.

12804452063_2ccb50a68e_z.jpg

12754824845_d0c55aa27b.jpg
12755261344_863d2bc96a_z.jpg

12755261584_f1b6f1e9f2_z.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for a secondary you could have an H flow into a stingray

I could try something, I'm thinking of how that could work but it may look too forced. Another option is having the NHL team as one of the shoulder patches as the AHL does.. I'll see what I can do.

Wow, happy with the positive feedback. That said, I may just leave Hull alone.

BTW there will be Winter Classic/Throwback/Fauxback/Tribute jerseys at the end for most teams - or maybe all.

For now, I will post a simple one. This one I came up with in a dream when Dallas Stars mentioned they were going green. I'm not a huge fan of their current jerseys at all, that colour of green just bugs me. So I decided I would just remake my Dallas Starts concept for Dundee Stars. There will be another one up later today. Feel free to suggest the next one; if it's completed, I'll post it :)

12804358255_7b88b1c78b_z.jpg

12777578393_af9fb8b68f_z.jpg

12777445995_209bafd3c2_z.jpg

12777446215_e742386873_z.jpg

Nothing? Oh well, moving on.

Next up is Belfast Giants. I'm really not a big fan of the Eagles/Patriots logo that seems to be sneaking its way in. I think the main logo is pretty solid for the league it's in and is one of the more popular logos in the EIHL and is probably the best known team as well. I really love their Aquafresh Toothpaste colour scheme and I got the diagonal striping idea from the incomplete side striping they currently have. I decided to use the "Patriots" logo as a shoulder patch and with them being a popular team, I made them an alternate jersey with it as well. BTW I'm trying to be realistic, those teams hurting for money will have the same Helmets and Pants and no Alternate jerseys where those more financially stable will be able to have different Helmet and Pants for their Alternates.

12783650743_6896963c7b.jpg

12783539945_f21a0357f7_z.jpg
12783540165_6c707a9554_z.jpg
12783971534_ca6e8b0cc9_z.jpg

Nice clean work there, 1.

I agree with hockeyweek on the Hull unis.

I'm not a fan of white contrasting shoulders, but that idea works great with the Hull concept.

The Stars green 'n white looks great.

The Giants' second logo should be their primary IMO, and you're right, the Giants would be able to pull off a third.

Good work.

Nice clean work there, 1.

I agree with hockeyweek on the Hull unis.

I'm not a fan of white contrasting shoulders, but that idea works great with the Hull concept.

The Stars green 'n white looks great.

The Giants' second logo should be their primary IMO, and you're right, the Giants would be able to pull off a third.

Good work.

Thanks guys :)

I tried to put the "Patriots" logo on the diagonal striped ones and it looks too plain. I think its maybe the triangle in the old logo that helps compliment the diagonal stripes. I will fool around with different designs and post them later.

Not sure if a Dallas-esque design would work for Dundee. Not to say it doesn't look nice, because it does, but I don't think green and white are the first colours people think of when they think of Dundee. Maybe a blue and white scheme reminiscent of the Scottish flag would work better here.

What I'd really like to see though is an original logo. It bugs me to no end when teams here in the UK lazily pinch pro team logos off of Google. Granted, it's usually better than what most teams have come up with on their own, the Stars included, but that of course is besides the point :P Would love to see what you can come up with!

EDIT: Just noticed the shoulder patch. What would that look like as the primary crest?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Not sure if a Dallas-esque design would work for Dundee. Not to say it doesn't look nice, because it does, but I don't think green and white are the first colours people think of when they think of Dundee. Maybe a blue and white scheme reminiscent of the Scottish flag would work better here.

What I'd really like to see though is an original logo. It bugs me to no end when teams here in the UK lazily pinch pro team logos off of Google. Granted, it's usually better than what most teams have come up with on their own, the Stars included, but that of course is besides the point :P Would love to see what you can come up with!

EDIT: Just noticed the shoulder patch. What would that look like as the primary crest?

I see your points, but there were a few reasons for it.

1. I already had the Dallas Stars concept and didn't want to waste it.

2. Dundee's current colours are Red, White and Blue which clashes with London Monarchs, Edinburgh Capitals and in some ways, Belfast Giants. I'm trying my best to make unique schemes.

3. As I mentioned in the first post, I picture a lot of these teams to be owned to some degree by NHL teams. This one is obviously Dallas. It also allows the Stars to use their old colours and logo that many still prefer over the new ones.

4. I didnt want to clash with the 2 major football - soccer- teams in Dundee (Orange being United, Blue being Dundee FC).

5. I have developmental teams for each of these Elite teams, so that makes Aberdeen North Stars the affiliate of Dundee - they will be Green, Gold and White.

I do put effort into my designs, I'm not being lazy, I just liked it the way it is. Just be glad I didn't use a Scotland map with a star like Dallas always has with Texas.

Basingstoke Bison will still use the old Buffalo logo they currently use, so prepare yourself lol.

as for the D* logo being the primary, it is far too bland. I didnt really like how it turned out, I almost didn't even use it as a shoulder patch.

EDIT

12804237523_1e9c8fba45_z.jpg

BTW Sparky, I realized I still had the teal outline on the Giants logo, switched it to white and it looks a little bit better. Maybe I am just too attached to the old logo, but this version is probably better.

12804179953_2dd900e175_z.jpg

It might help as a point of reference to include what the teams currently look like. These are great, but I don't think we get just how great because we don't see the improvement.

Great point, here's a little comparison for now, as well as a teaser for the team I'm currently working on. Belfast was pretty much untouched so there was no need to compare.

12804368843_f78a2968bc_z.jpg

Alrighty, So I'm going to post my edited Belfast Giants again so people can see the old versions as well and see the progression. Also, I decided to use different names and numbers just to give people some variety.

I decided to bite the bullet and fuse the 2 logos together. I made the dudes hair the same Red colour as the Patriots logo and got rid of the Gold. Gold is still used subtly though, on the pants, and the giants wrist and headbands.

12804727003_e6cba30488_z.jpg

12804691693_b52bc8d62c_z.jpg

12804691633_29e2b017a5_z.jpg

12804600295_a1397b7661_z.jpg

12804600395_a9644eed84_z.jpg

Great idea to show the old and new, so we can see your improvements with some reference.

...And you've made all of them better.

I like what you've done with the Giants.

Belfast has a nice little franchise.

I've never been to a Giants' game, but I have been inside their arena.

It's a pretty sweet facility.

Great idea to show the old and new, so we can see your improvements with some reference.

...And you've made all of them better.

I like what you've done with the Giants.

Belfast has a nice little franchise.

I've never been to a Giants' game, but I have been inside their arena.

It's a pretty sweet facility.

I think they are maybe the only one with a decent arena lol. I actually believe the one in Sheffield is nice. I have been in Edinburgh's Arena and damn is it awesome and horrible haha. The chairs are still the ones from the 1930's, the rink had a tighter curvature than IIHF rules are I believe. Glasgow's Arena was actually pretty good for being in a mall. Ayr demolished their new(ish) arena and put a Sainsbury's there lmfao so now they use their old one. I guess they never learn :P

Anyway, moving on to Manchester Phoenix. Can you guess which NHL team owns them? I already knew I wanted to use the Brick Red colour and it is fitting for a Phoenix - it being a bird on fire. I stayed away from copying the Coyotes template but similar to Dundee; I wanted to make a simple design, 1 colour only. I thought it was best for those franchises with mixed identities and obnoxious logos.

12804356765_a445b54c7f_z.jpg

12807819554_0d90425982_z.jpg

12807624413_25b2490c69_z.jpg

12807533015_893b5e5cd0_z.jpg

Archived