New Reebok Logo

CS85

1d2135c9677f00d3948df3e7c910f9f7.500x271

Just yesterday, while shopping at one of those mega huge outlet store campuses, a buddy and I passed a Reebok Outlet store. They must have massive sales outside the US, because I honestly had no idea they were still afloat.

Their focus now is Crossfit and running. Since being bought up by adidas they've gone away from uniform manufacturing. Even Bolton Wanderers, who play in Reebok Stadium, wear adidas now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

BTW, Paul Lukas' column on the new Reebok brand for Uniwatch was something really special today:

At least 80% of corporate logo changes (including but not limited to those in the sports world) don’t mean jack. They’re usually some combination of (a) an easy way to generate some media coverage without actually doing anything; (B) an easy way to make your product(s) look “new and improved” without actually changing them; © a new management team marking its territory; (d) leftover money in the marketing budget getting spent before someone repurposes it for another department; and (e) a way to throw some work to the ad agency owned by the CFO’s son-in-law.

But Reebok’s new logo, which Phil briefly mentioned in yesterday’s Ticker, is actually significant, because it signals a genuinely new direction for the company. As you can see in the video above, Reebok plans to step away from outfitting “elite athletes” and will instead emphasize everyday fitness.

I’m all in favor of fitness (I’m a daily exerciser myself), although I don’t give a :censored: who makes my gear. Everyone knows workout attire is all pretty much the same, so I just buy whatever’s on clearance — or at least that’s what I did eight or nine years ago, which was the last time I needed to buy any gear.

The bigger issue, at least from a Uni Watch perspective, is what Reebok’s new direction means for the uni-verse. First and foremost, what does it mean for the NHL, which is outfitted by Reebok? According to this report, “rumors have circulated” that the NHL’s uniform contract could be taken over by Reebok’s parent company, Adidas. Imagine what that could mean for the red and blue lines, which are currently (and very annoyingly) Reebok-branded — we could end up with a line being branded by a company whose visual signature is three lines. Ugh.

While I’m just speculating (i.e., I have no hard evidence or inside info to back up what I’m about to say), I suspect the real story here is that Reebok has largely been eclipsed by Under Armour. Think about it: Under Armour’s increased presence in the uni-verse pretty well coincides with Reebok’s decline.

Anyway, what about the new “delta” logo? Well, you certainly have to give them credit for uniqueness:

Screen-shot-2014-03-02-at-3.28.57-PM.png

Okay, so maybe it isn’t so unique after all. But hey, I’m sure the CFO’s son-in-law could whip something up after lunch.

The description of logo in the video shown above is even worse than the logo itself, especially when Reebok exec Matt O’Toole manages to keep a straight face while reading the following script:

Our new brand mark is not a logo. It’s a symbol, it’s a beacon for all of those around the world who want to live a fit and healthy lifestyle. Ultimately, our new delta symbol is a symbol for a way of life.

Honestly, how do these people sleep at night after saying :censored: like that? As I’ve noted before, there’s still one major uniform outfitter that remains largely immune from all this corporatespeak bull :censored:: Majestic. They may not be “cool,” and most fans probably couldn’t pick their logo from a lineup, but at least they’re not a lifestyle brand, so they don’t engage in all this embarrassing corporate nonsense. They just make uniforms. (Well, at least until Nike or Under Armour outbid them for the MLB contract, which is bound to happen eventually.)

Reminds me of the people who see curling or bobsledding in the olympics and say "Psh, I could do that." If branding is so easy Paul, maybe you should give it a try yourself.

At least 80% of corporate logo changes (including but not limited to those in the sports world) don’t mean jack. They’re usually some combination of (a) an easy way to generate some media coverage without actually doing anything; ( B) an easy way to make your product(s) look “new and improved” without actually changing them; © a new management team marking its territory; (d) leftover money in the marketing budget getting spent before someone repurposes it for another department; and (e) a way to throw some work to the ad agency owned by the CFO’s son-in-law.

695.gif

Sounds like someone who has never worked at the corporate level.

1d2135c9677f00d3948df3e7c910f9f7.500x271

Just yesterday, while shopping at one of those mega huge outlet store campuses, a buddy and I passed a Reebok Outlet store. They must have massive sales outside the US, because I honestly had no idea they were still afloat.

Their focus now is Crossfit and running. Since being bought up by adidas they've gone away from uniform manufacturing. Even Bolton Wanderers, who play in Reebok Stadium, wear adidas now.

CF is a fad workout that promotes bad workout form and injuries...not a smart plan to stake your business on that. When all of the Crossfitters give up because they've busted their spines, Reebok will go extinct.

9wm73aC.gif

201908178327439749132927.gif

i8Ropk62tsyWy.gif

Uzkz5bo.gif

(Don't be impressed, CF uses rubber weight plates, not real ones)

87Redskins.png

I don't understand the hate for Paul. He's living the dream that a lot of us would give our left nut for. So you don't agree with his assessments? So what. Act like a grown up and move on.

Not his assessments; they're nothing but opinions, and he's welcome to have them. What I don't like about him is his ignorance. The first sentence from above, "At least 80% of corporate logo changes (including but not limited to those in the sports world) don’t mean jack." is so inaccurate and shows such a lack of understanding of anyone who has ever experienced what the corporate branding world is like, yet he is supposed to be an expert on it. He knows sports logos, but what he made blindingly obvious is that he doesn't understand corporate logos.

Fair enough, but it doesn't excuse the childish jabs at him. In terms of bringing respectability and awareness of sports uniforms/ design he and Chris are to thank.

He goes on rants about the smallest things, and turns his page into a political website sometimes with all the thinks he says about the redskins or dont get him started about stirrups, he gets hard ons from those, he deserves what he gets

Archived