Raysox's InkscapeTutorials

raysox

I downloaded Inkscape the other day and started following the tutorial, but, for the life of me, Path>Intersection won't work. I select the stripes and the blue jersey base, then Path>Intersection, then the whole selection just disappears. I tried layering them differently and that didn't work either (actually, I tried a dozen different things for about an hour). The Path>Intersection still wasn't working. Any thoughts? I have no doubt it's me, I just can't figure out what I'm doing (or not doing) incorrectly.

That aside, the tutorial is very useful. Thanks again. Actually, just having the template and then you explaining how you use it was immensely helpful.

The stripe must be a path, I assume you're using a stroke?

Just go to Path>Stroke to Path first, layer it correctly (as shown in the tutorial) then go and do Path>Intersection.

Ah, I just figured it out. I actually used the Rectangle tool to create the stripes, but just read that my shape--at that point--is not yet a path. Is there a shortcut to this, or do I have do I have to perform Stroke to Path (or Object to Path) each time?

Thanks for the assistance.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just cant seem to get the striping to blend into the jersey, ive made the strip for the jersey and i have it in the position i want it in, i duplicate the top layer, and i have the stripe positioned behind it, it just cant intersect for me

2rzsaw3.jpg

Raysox....thank you so much for doing this tutorial for us newbies ;) I have only been using Inkscape for the last two months and wish something like this was around when I started. Its was people like yourself, Colonels and others on here which have helped me to get going in the right direction. I don't plan on posting an concepts for a long while until I get a better hang of inkscape plus I want to take my time with my concepts. I plan to follow this thread though.

Thanks for this. I have tried downloading svg files from wikepedia, but they either need to be saved as png files (with one browser) or the svg files are "invalid" and need to be validated. Is this a problem with my internet browsers or is there another issue? By the way, I was trying to open them with Illustrator instead of Inkscape; does that matter?

EDIT: I think I figured it out; I saved the "linked file" instead of the image. Seems to be working.

award%20sig.png

I think "starting small" means 1-team concepts. It's not like mine are good anyway, but that is why I have taken a break from making concepts after I did two so I could really think about making my design better. I use Paint Shop Pro right now but this I just found this thread and now I am going to download Inskape.

I can't wait for a logo tutorial. REALLY lost when it comes to designing logos.

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

For logo designs I would recommend sketching it on a piece of paper first and using reference images. Since they're self created there is only so much advice that can be given. Another thing is to look at other logos that are similar to what you are trying to create. I'm not the best at logos my self but I would recommend starting with real teams, fantasy league logos are much harder.

For logo designs I would recommend sketching it on a piece of paper first and using reference images. Since they're self created there is only so much advice that can be given. Another thing is to look at other logos that are similar to what you are trying to create. I'm not the best at logos my self but I would recommend starting with real teams, fantasy league logos are much harder.

Good. I don't do fake teams right now anyway. I can try to sketch but I am a really bad artist when it comes to drawing.

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

I can't thank you enough, raysox. I've had alot of ideas in my head since before I made my account here a few months ago, and I actually made an account to post concepts immediately. I saw a lot of guys suggesting Inkscape, so I downloaded it, and realised you need alot more than absolutely no experience to create a quality concept. So I've been commenting, giving C&C on other concepts to get a better idea on what makes a good concept, but this is what I've been looking for. Thank you. :D

As someone who has attempted to try and use Inkscape in the past, this is awesome. I'll have to have a look at the tutorials and see if I can get better with my jersey concepts. I'm pretty much just gimp right now, but I don't believe GIMP can make true vector logos, etc. (If it can - someone let me know. All I can do is smooth edges with the Curves and Levels settings.)

I also learned the hard way about posting in the concepts section. It took me a while to understand the frustration as I only do this as a hobby, but I l've learned and adjusted.

I think what helps is that you start out SMALL. Like, make it a 10-team league only. And do try to make all of them before you start posting them. And then if the thread's doing good and you get a lot of great feedbacks and whatnot, then you can "expand" the league by a few teams.

I think that's what jaha did with his basketball thread. He started out the league with only....20(?) teams, and then the thread became so popular and that motivated him to keep going and cap it off at 30 teams.

Yeah you're right about that. I almost burned out at 20 or so, but after taking a couple months off I got the creative juiced flowing again and finished 30.

Before starting the league thread, I had about 10-12 logos finished. Some of them still needed fine-tuning but it was a starting point. I didn't have divisions or even number of teams pre-determined, and that gave me flexibilty to just do the ideas as they came to me and let the teams fall where they may, rather than forcing an idea when I had none. It took me over a year so I definitely was in no hurry.

Thank you so much for this. This is a lot of the stuff I get harped on for. I just didn't know how to do it. Maybe now my concepts will look like I want them to like when I physically draw them.

I have a question as well. I use Gimp for my concepts. For striping, I use the paths or free select tool to actually "draw" the stripes or yokes and then fill them in. Is there a better way to do this? a lot of the times it makes symmetry very difficult, if not down right impossible.

Thanks again.

Here's hoping Mike will have a chance to create that logo tutorial when he has some free time. This is what this concept section needed, someone to show us how to use Inkscape properly and how to create amazing concepts while not rushing to post huge threads with little thought. I believe in quality over quantity.

• 5 months later...

Archived