New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Aren't the Browns technically named in honor of an old NFL team that used to play in Cleveland and was named for Paul Brown?

No. :P

Thats right Gothamite this is the original Browns for sure! Quietly waiting for IceCap to start commenting..... :D

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't the Browns technically named in honor of an old NFL team that used to play in Cleveland and was named for Paul Brown?

Thats right Gothamite this is the original Browns for sure! Quietly waiting for IceCap to start commenting..... :D

I thought the Browns were gifted the old Ravens identity after they deemed it inappropriate for a Baltimore based franchise.

The best part about this entire rebrand/redesign is Browns President Alec Scheiner saying "We really listened to our fans. They wanted us to stick with the older, traditional logos... but wanted the uniforms to be modern and cutting edge."

Not even close, Alec. Not. Even. Close. Not even in the ball park.

It was actually the opposite. Give us awesome, new logos. Something we can identify with. Make some changes to the uniforms, but nothing drastic. You want to add gray or copper? We're OK with that... but lets not go crazy. Traditional stripes in traditional places.

You mean to tell me the Browns front office listened to the fans and did / heard the exact opposite of what they really wanted?

Status Quo with this damn organization. It baffles me. You listen to sport talk, hot talk, anything locally, and everyone is like... what a waste of time and money. Its the exact opposite of what we wanted.

Now, the uniforms may end up being a complete hit and look fantastic. But they literally did NOT listen to the fanbase. They listen to the fanbase when it comes to hiring and firing and what players to bring it and get rid of... stuff fans have no business being a part of. But when it comes to the uniforms and logos - something they SHOULD listen to the fans about - its ignored.

It really is staggering how much this organization can screw up. Honestly... what is going to be the headline next month? "Mike Petine's secret life as a drag queen. Is this to blame for Browns struggles?" Or "Rookie coaching staff, lead by second year headcoach Mike Petine, caught using Madden 25 to dictate play calls."

Like... every month... something you have never heard of... this organization does.

I disagree as I believe they did listen to their fanbase as most Browns fans DID NOT want the colors of the helmet changing too much.

No, the previous owner dictated the helmet remain (mostly) unchanged when he sold the team. Had nothing to do with the fans.

The fans wanted wanted the colors to maintain similar... the orange and the brown. The fans did NOT want a logo on the helmet. The fans wanted a basic, plain stripe helmet. THAT'S what the fans wanted. The colors and shaded of brown and orange were able to vary... but we wanted the same basic helmet, the same basic uniforms. Sure, change the colors, even add gray/copper/tan... but we want traditional uniforms, like the Vikings and Dolphins.

The logos... we wanted new logos. Wanna keep the primary as the helmet? Fine. But give us something else. Give us a badass elf, give us a badass bulldog, give us that Paul Brown logo that set this forum on fire. Don't recolor the helmet logo and give us a pop-warner bulldog.

Yes; BBTV's statement (which may or may not have been made in jest) is not correct. Technically. This is the very same Browns that were named after Paul Brown. Technically. And for whom Jim Brown played. Technically. And blew those AFC Championship games against the Broncos. Technically. An expansion team was comprised primarily of players who played for this franchise. Technically.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yes; BBTV's statement (which may or may not have been made in jest) is not correct. Technically. This is the very same Browns that were named after Paul Brown. Technically. And for whom Jim Brown played. Technically. And blew those AFC Championship games against the Broncos. Technically. An expansion team was comprised primarily of players who played for this franchise. Technically.

That sure is a lot of technicalities but I like it!

Umm, the browns did not have the same shade as the bengals before this helmet moderation. Browns were two shades lighter than the bengals.

I keep correcting this - in print, it was the same. However, the individual CMYK breakdowns and textile colors were different.

They're only the original Browns if you closed your eyes and put your hands over your ears going "lalala I can't hear you" between 1996 and 1999 ;)

They're only the original Browns if you closed your eyes and put your hands over your ears going "lalala I can't hear you" between 1996 and 1999 ;)
Between 1996 and 1999 I was busy crying and :censored:ting in my diaper, so they're the original Browns to me :P

The NFL disgraced itself when it "transferred the history" (as though such a thing were possible in the world of reality) of the Browns/Ravens franchise to the expansion Browns. The appalling dishonesty of the whole matter continues to disgust.

With that act of pandering, the NFL set a terrible precedent which has left a toxic wake across the sports landscape, as evidenced by the San Jose Earthquakes and the Charlotte Hornets. And the next version of the Seattle SuperSonics will do further violence to actual history, making us all collectively a bit dumber still. So it's right that historically-minded people continue to complain about this travesty.

The most ridiculous part is that it was unnecessary to do this in order for Cleveland to have its Browns; the new team could still have been called the Browns without this ahistorical nonsense. The template was set in baseball: the expansion Washington Senators existed just fine without the Major Leagues "transferring the history" of the original Washington Senators after they had moved to Minnesota.

Aaaaanyway...back to the logos.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I'm not particularly a fan of the brown facemask (I personally like grey facemasks on a lot of the league's helmets that do - and some that do not - have them), but the lack of significant helmet change is nice. With that said, I suppose it's possible that the logo update doesn't reflect something like VT's truncated stripes or a tapered stripe a la Buffalo, but I'd be surprised if either is the case.

The updated wordmark is a nice refresh, but I'm not a fan of some of the letters reflecting both rounded and block-type edges (I'm an engineer - I don't know the term for this haha). Take the P for example - I really, really dislike the rounded edge on the upper portion of the letter when contrasted with the block-type appearance on the lower portion. It's really offputting to me.

As for the dog mark - meh. I'm kind of indifferent on it. The tweak someone here did in removing the mouth/teeth is a HUGE upgrade IMO and better reflects the "aggressive but approachable" look they were going for.

All in all, I think the logo updates are a bit of an upgrade (albeit one that didn't deserve the hype that was being marketed). Hopefully the uniforms reflect a similar restrained approach in their delivery, but I somehow doubt that's the case.

The NFL disgraced itself when it "transferred the history" (as though such a thing were possible in the world of reality) of the Browns/Ravens franchise to the expansion Browns. The appalling dishonesty of the whole matter continues to disgust.

Yeah. I have the same reaction when people talk about the OKC Thunder "transferring" the Sonics' history back to Seattle should they get another team. As if history were something you can just pack up and give someone.

Anyway the Browns. I'm REALLY liking the new orange the more I see it. I'm also hating the brown facemask. I would still prefer grey, but I'm not sure if it would work with the new orange. White may have been the way to go. The brown just sticks out and competes with the orange shell for your attention.

Anyway the Browns. I'm REALLY liking the new orange the more I see it. I'm also hating the brown facemask. I would still prefer grey, but I'm not sure if it would work with the new orange. White may have been the way to go. The brown just sticks out and competes with the orange shell.

I won't know this until I see an actual helmet. I think white facemasks are visually jarring, so that's out. I'm holding out hope that the brown works well.

It's where I sit.

this from BrandNew today - http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logos_for_the_cleveland_browns.php#.VO-acbPF_Vg

"The logos have been designed by Michael Irwin, Senior Designer at the NFL. Uniforms will be designed by Nike."

you can see what Michael has on behance here, which includes numbers . . . https://www.behance.net/gallery/23919611/Cleveland-Browns-Rebrand-2015

there's some good info he posted in the comments, including this:

"Just a quick note on the dog. The goal of the team with this mark was to target the younger generation. The previous Dawg Pound dated back quite a while and they wanted it to appeal to new fans as well. The Browns intent was to have a youthful, dynamic, and less menacing dog. That's just a little background to the "approachable with an attitude" feel for the new brand"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

this from BrandNew today - http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logos_for_the_cleveland_browns.php#.VO-acbPF_Vg

"The logos have been designed by Michael Irwin, Senior Designer at the NFL. Uniforms will be designed by Nike."

you can see what Michael has on behance here, which includes numbers . . . https://www.behance.net/gallery/23919611/Cleveland-Browns-Rebrand-2015

"Just a quick note on the dog. The goal of the team with this mark was to target the younger generation. The previous Dawg Pound dated back quite a while and they wanted it to appeal to new fans as well. The Browns intent was to have a youthful, dynamic, and less menacing dog. That's just a little background to the "approachable with an attitude" feel for the new brand"

Hopefully they use the number font he included in that behance. That would certainly be a good look for them.

spacer.png

So it looks like we've got ourselves our number font? If so, count me pleasantly surprised. Am I the only one here thinking that the "bolder departure" referred to is that the primary uniform color will be that red-orange?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Had some brown stain laying around and painted the mask. I'm sure my ocd will make me buy the new one. I'll see how different the orange helmets look when the new mini is out. This will hold me over. I'll throw a white mask on it when I get the new one and put the white mask one w/ my 80s throwbacks.

11004058_10203764437819830_261396122_n.j

11007704_10203764008329093_2134369041_n.

Archived