New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

The Old Roman wrote:

"I fully believe that considering the team history and what they should have done in a re-brand, this set is a bigger failure than the Buccaneers' new unis. It's the worst in football, and literally every element is worse than the corresponding element from the previous set".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's really harsh IMO. Also if you're gonna state what they "should have done in the re-brand" why not elaborate?

Jax is by far the worst in the NFL, the Buc's new uni's are the 2nd worst (all IMO). The Jags uni's from the mid to late 90s were great, they have ruined them step-by-step. Tampa Bay's 1997 re-brand was great, they've totally ruined them. There was no need for another re-brand, and that helmet logo is way too big!!

I honestly don't think Cleveland's new uniforms are all that bad, and I was kind of horrified when I first saw them.

I've totally taken to the brighter orange and the new helmet coating/finish, and the face-mask in brown. What's hard for me to tolerate is once again a team with colored pants not wearing white socks with the striping in the centre like on the sleeves. Why can't these teams learn from CHI, NE, KC, and the NYJ when wearing pants of color?

The worst thing is the huge Cleveland word-mark on the jersey and 'BROWNS' on the pants. I like the style of the jersey numbers with the shadow, I just think they need to be reversed. Brown numbers with orange shadow on the white jersey, white numbers orange shadow on the brown jersey, and their alternate orange I'm not too sure just yet, but probably reverse those too, meaning white numbers w/ brown shadow.

Other than that after 2 preseason games the Brownies new uniforms are growing on me, but I just can't adopt to this huge Cleveland word-mark on the jersey, it's downright collegiate.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Old Roman wrote:

"I fully believe that considering the team history and what they should have done in a re-brand, this set is a bigger failure than the Buccaneers' new unis. It's the worst in football, and literally every element is worse than the corresponding element from the previous set".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's really harsh IMO. Also if you're gonna state what they "should have done in the re-brand" why not elaborate?

Jax is by far the worst in the NFL, the Buc's new uni's are the 2nd worst (all IMO). The Jags uni's from the mid to late 90s were great, they have ruined them step-by-step. Tampa Bay's 1997 re-brand was great, they've totally ruined them. There was no need for another re-brand, and that helmet logo is way too big!!

I honestly don't think Cleveland's new uniforms are all that bad, and I was kind of horrified when I first saw them.

I've totally taken to the brighter orange and the new helmet coating/finish, and the face-mask in brown. What's hard for me to tolerate is once again a team with colored pants not wearing white socks with the striping in the centre like on the sleeves. Why can't these teams learn from CHI, NE, KC, and the NYJ when wearing pants of color?

The worst thing is the huge Cleveland word-mark on the jersey and 'BROWNS' on the pants. I like the style of the jersey numbers with the shadow, I just think they need to be reversed. Brown numbers with orange shadow on the white jersey, white numbers orange shadow on the brown jersey, and their alternate orange I'm not too sure just yet, but probably reverse those too, meaning white numbers w/ brown shadow.

Other than that after 2 preseason games the Brownies new uniforms are growing on me, but I just can't adopt to this huge Cleveland word-mark on the jersey, it's downright collegiate.

Jacksonville's helmet is the worst in football, given, but from the neck down, they're simply bad. I'd compare the Jags non-helmet elements as equal to Seattle's uniforms, Cincinnati's, Atlanta's... bad, but not jaw-droppingly bad... until you factor in the helmet. Tampa's abomination is worse overall... their astonishingly bad number font is equal to Jacksonville's helmet for bad ideas.

I think what the Roman is saying is, with what the Browns changed from, and the history involved, this is just so damn disappointing. They didn't just design a bad uniform, they crapped on a classic, and therefore their own history. Paul Brown himself designed that uniform... the guy the team is named after, for pete's sake. And that sleeve stripe pattern, the two color modification of a northwestern stripe, became an NFL standard. The Packers wore it, the Saints and Dolphins wore it, the Steelers modified it further, but at home basically wore it. But the Browns wore it first.

And they traded that for... what exactly? Again... just disappointing.

I've posted if a few times and people are probably tired of reading it. Their previous look was really good. The brown should have been lightened a tad and the brown striped socks brought back. I'm not big on the orange pants, but they could bring those back if they so desired. The brown pants should have been destroyed. Their helmet was best with a white facemask, but gray was passable. So basically, they should have been a carbon copy of 1999 uniform-wise, with maybe a touch of 2003.

Their uniforms were fine, but the Browns have always lacked a proper primary logo. Brownie and the old mastiff are fine as alternate logos, but neither was a good primary. And a freaking helmet is an awful primary logo, even more so if the helmet doesn't have a logo on it. So the one thing they actually needed to do in this expansive rebrand was come up with a primary logo. They failed. They changed literally everything *except* the logo, and the logo was the only thing which actually needed changing. If you want to argue the new orange is better, that's fine. They could have changed the orange but kept the same jerseys (which they pretty much did in 2003). The helmet, jerseys, pants, socks, numbers, wordmarks and even the dog logo are all worse than last year, while the primary logo is just as bad. It's like going into surgery to remove a cancerous kidney and having the doctor take out the wrong one; or alternatively, being out of work and paying money for a company to improve your resume, only for them to leave the content the same but change the font to impact.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've posted if a few times and people are probably tired of reading it. Their previous look was really good. The brown should have been lightened a tad and the brown striped socks brought back. I'm not big on the orange pants, but they could bring those back if they so desired. The brown pants should have been destroyed. Their helmet was best with a white facemask, but gray was passable. So basically, they should have been a carbon copy of 1999 uniform-wise, with maybe a touch of 2003.

Their uniforms were fine, but the Browns have always lacked a proper primary logo. Brownie and the old mastiff are fine as alternate logos, but neither was a good primary. And a freaking helmet is an awful primary logo, even more so if the helmet doesn't have a logo on it. So the one thing they actually needed to do in this expansive rebrand was come up with a primary logo. They failed. They changed literally everything *except* the logo, and the logo was the only thing which actually needed changing. If you want to argue the new orange is better, that's fine. They could have changed the orange but kept the same jerseys (which they pretty much did in 2003). The helmet, jerseys, pants, socks, numbers, wordmarks and even the dog logo are all worse than last year, while the primary logo is just as bad. It's like going into surgery to remove a cancerous kidney and having the doctor take out the wrong one.

Or like the doctor removing your healthy spleen, liver, pancreas, and gonads, then telling you he thought you'd want to keep that kidney.

I'm somewhat surprised the Browns went with brown pants/brown socks together already. When they did the unveiling of all the combos at once back in the spring, they used orange socks with the white jersey/brown pants. Maybe they just wanted to see the brown pants and brown socks in game action and didn't consider that pairing them together would be a terrible idea?

I think you'll see the Browns cycle through a lot of uniform combinations this year, trying to figure out what catches on and becomes the signature look of this new set. Unfortunately, that will mean a lot of misfires like last night.

I think it's fair to say that the Browns were the biggest DOWNGRADE from their previous look since Nike took over. While most would agree that the Jags and Bucs have worse uniforms in a vacuum, the Jags looked bad before Nike and the Bucs were just pretty good.

The Browns, though, were a top 10, maybe top 5 uniform last season. That's the biggest disappointment overall. If an expansion team, for example, were given the Browns new uniform design it would get much less hate I feel.

Brown pants with brown socks in 'game action', just awful.

As had been mentioned by others, if only the striping on the brown pants extended further down with the 'BROWNS' word-mark removed it would look pretty decent.

240046-1024x683.jpg

Brown pants with brown socks in 'game action', just awful.

As had been mentioned by others, if only the striping on the brown pants extended further down with the 'BROWNS' word-mark removed it would look pretty decent.

240046-1024x683.jpg

Given the amount of contempt and utter disdain I have for this uniform being appropriated to the franchise that's masquerades as the franchise named after Paul Brown, I actually think the pant word mark could work if they colored it like the pants stripe which would give it continuity down the leg. Hell that stripe embedded word mark could have even worked as a design element on the jersey if worked in a subtle fashion but this is what we get for 5 years, 1984 turned up to 11 for the 2010's.

Maybe the NFL has a "the stupid Franken-Browns screwed it all up again" exemption to the five-year minimum on designs. I believe this exemption has been used in the past to get out of paying the rest of Romeo Crennel's salary.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Browns should've brought back the white striped socks for when they wear the brown pants, or atleast worn the orange socks. I don't like the one color look for pants/socks in the NFL.

I liked the all white away uniform from last week, it looked pretty modern yet still very Browns.

bSLCtu2.png

I like the idea of the Ravens wearing head-to-toe black, but otherwise it's difficult to pull off matching pants and socks in any color other than white, which only works because white pants and socks are striped and can't be mistaken for very long pants. It certainly doesn't work for the Browns. They look silly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nothing wrong with what they wore for the first preseason game, other than the wordmark on the pants. I can get over the odd number font and contrast stitching because you barely see it unless it's a super close up picture. I also don't think I would have liked it with brown socks.

As for the second game, it needed orange socks. Would have been worlds better.

Overall, hard to judge because each combo will almost be determined by the sock color. The ones that will work, in my opinion:

OOWO

OOBO

OBOB

OBBO

OWWO

OWBO

Not so sure that the white pants work the brown jersey because of the orange numbers. The socks also bring up my opinion that the college game looks better simply because teams don't have to wear these knee-high two-toned socks, but I'll take that to the unpopular opinion page.

• 4 months later...

After seeing them in action this season, I can say that I truly hate these uniforms. They are as bad as the state of the team.

The one thing they Browns had going for them was their traditional look - now they don't even have that... what a shame.

923%5C362689.jpg

Actually, I'd say their uniforms are far worse than the state of the team. The coaching was awful and the QB position was largely a dumpster fire, but the 2015 Browns were just another crappy team which might be decent in a few years with the quick turnarounds the NFL offers. Meanwhile, these uniforms are historically bad and the team is stuck with them for at least four more seasons.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

the 2015 Browns were just another crappy team which might be decent in a few years with the quick turnarounds the NFL offers

The quick turnarounds only come when owners know what they're doing and hire good people. That's the beauty of the NFL's financial system - every team rises to the level of the people running it regardless of market.

The Browns are an awful organization top to bottom, but at least we know the uniforms can get better in four years.

Right. I mean, the Browns have a bit of talent now. They were 7-9 last year and looked like a team on the rise. If they can somehow bumble into a decent coach and a few good draft picks, they could realistically end up in the playoffs in 2017. Stranger things have happened in the NFL in the last fifteen years. It's not at all likely, but at least there is hope, unlike with their uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The new Browns unis really look like something Bowling Green should be wearing, I predict the Browns return to a more traditional set in the next 4-5 years.

Some of us have been saying it since the unveiling. They look like Bowling Green. Not just a MAC school, but a poorly-dressed MAC school. I fully believe that considering the team history and what they should have done in a rebrand, this set is a bigger failure than the Buccaneers' new unis. It's the worst in football, and literally every element is worse than the corresponding element from the previous set.

As for changing back, we'll see. The current owner is likely horrible, so it's possible he'll interpret fan hatred as them not going modern enough. They might try to make something even worse in a few years.

I like Cleveland's new trainwrecks better than the Buccaneers monstrosities, however, I completely agree. The Browns' rebrand was a colossal failure. I know there are people that like what I'm about to compare this too but I honestly think Cleveland has the NFL's Gorton's Fisherman now. They took their uniforms, which are considered to be classic and completely destroyed them. Their new uniforms are so, so bad. They completely ruined everything, except the helmet. They even ruined their dawg pound logo. I hope we see a massive fan revolt, which I have yet to see myself. If these things were scrapped tomorrow, it wouldn't be fast enough.

The Browns looked much better on the field this year. Wore all their combos and when you saw them, you didn't think it was still 1975. Definitely a step in the right direction. Helmets were much, much better. The return of orange pants was appreciated. And the solid socks a relief to get out of the striped-hell they used to be stuck in.

Not a perfect rebrand by any means but they did well.

And the old uniforms weren't "classics". They were old and tired and needed to be put out to pasture.

The new Browns unis really look like something Bowling Green should be wearing, I predict the Browns return to a more traditional set in the next 4-5 years.

Some of us have been saying it since the unveiling. They look like Bowling Green. Not just a MAC school, but a poorly-dressed MAC school. I fully believe that considering the team history and what they should have done in a rebrand, this set is a bigger failure than the Buccaneers' new unis. It's the worst in football, and literally every element is worse than the corresponding element from the previous set.

As for changing back, we'll see. The current owner is likely horrible, so it's possible he'll interpret fan hatred as them not going modern enough. They might try to make something even worse in a few years.

I like Cleveland's new trainwrecks better than the Buccaneers monstrosities, however, I completely agree. The Browns' rebrand was a colossal failure. I know there are people that like what I'm about to compare this too but I honestly think Cleveland has the NFL's Gorton's Fisherman now. They took their uniforms, which are considered to be classic and completely destroyed them. Their new uniforms are so, so bad. They completely ruined everything, except the helmet. They even ruined their dawg pound logo. I hope we see a massive fan revolt, which I have yet to see myself. If these things were scrapped tomorrow, it wouldn't be fast enough.

I agree the new uniforms symbolize what the current franchise has become a clown show

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived