New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

You're crazy because that looks like horse crap.

Why? Because you said so?

Not saying its good or bad, but just because someone thinks something looks good doesn't mean it doesn't. And it doesn't mean you know what the hell you are talking about anyway. What you think looks good others might think look like horse crap. Its just one person's opinion. I think Infrared's weekly uniform rankings are much different then what I would rank (if I got bored enough to ever rank uniform matchups each week). Some of his tastes aren't even close to mine. But those are his opinions. And they aren't ever going to change either.

The Browns are finally ditching uniforms that should have been discarded LONG ago (IMO). They were out-of-date and this moribund franchise desperately needed a new identity. Will the new ones be any better? For some, they will be. For some, they won't be. No different then any other uniform change any other year. Hell some people still pine for the old Arizona Cardinals uniforms. They made Penn State's uniforms look flashy and innovative. Thank goodness they kept the pointless grey mask to keep the traditionalists giddy. But as long as there are uni changes, people are always going to have differing opinions.

All I and others have said is that Cleveland and NFL Properties have a chance to do something really good with brown, orange and likely grey. Something that can keep some of the traditional elements (namely the colors) of the Brownies while getting into the 21st century with other parts of the set. Its not going to please many of the traditionalists here, who aren't happy about anything new or 'different'. But those people are in the minority in America anyway and certainly in the minority of those who follow the teams. There are a few traditional NFL teams that shouldn't ever change much if anything. The Packers and Colts are two of those teams. But for a team like the Browns? Let er' rip. Its time.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Its not going to please many of the traditionalists here, who aren't happy about anything new or 'different'. But those people are in the minority in America anyway and certainly in the minority of those who follow the teams. There are a few traditional NFL teams that shouldn't ever change much if anything. The Packers and Colts are two of those teams. But for a team like the Browns? Let er' rip. Its time.

I glossed over other nonsense and I'm just responding to this. Please show some kind of evidence that people who enjoy non-clownish uniforms are in the minority of America. I was unaware that there was a comprehensive study of uniform preferences.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why? Because you said so?

Not saying its good or bad, but just because someone thinks something looks good doesn't mean it doesn't. And it doesn't mean you know what the hell you are talking about anyway. What you think looks good others might think look like horse crap. Its just one person's opinion. I think Infrared's weekly uniform rankings are much different then what I would rank (if I got bored enough to ever rank uniform matchups each week). Some of his tastes aren't even close to mine. But those are his opinions. And they aren't ever going to change either.

Because coming up with the same tired rant every week is a better use of your time? You sure seem to spend your fair share of time concerning yourself with my weekly list.

Right, because I'd never change my opinion on something like the Vikings current uniforms. You know, the ones I didn't much care for when they debuted and now appear on the best list almost every week. Yeah, I'd never do something like that.

But those people are in the minority in America anyway and certainly in the minority of those who follow the teams.

I'm with The Old Roman. I'd like to see evidence to support that claim.

BB52Big.jpg

As long as that minority us the group the team is based around i think they deserve a say. And as a Browns fan i want them to look more traditional and not "hip" or "moving into the next century". I prefer they be something similar to what they wore in the 80's.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Call me crazy but this Brown doesn't look bad! Just needs some brown in place of the gray.

temp0126_2015-pro-bowl-redskins18--nfl_m

My first thought when I saw those Pro Bowl uniforms was "there's the Browns new look. " The Browns going with something similar wouldn't be good by any measure, but if my choices are that or something like Tampa Bay's disaster, I'll take the Pro Bowl look.

Same. I think it fits all of the rumors too...new third color being introduced (many have said it will be gray), a lighter shade of orange, chrome. I think we end up seeing something similar to the pro bowl uniforms, just with a brown and a white jersey to go with the gray.

This thread is meant to be a place in which members of the community can discuss the expected changes to the Cleveland Browns' uniforms, the need - or, lack thereof - for said changes, and the quality of the makeover once said changes are revealed.

While such discussions are, by their very nature, going to involve participants sharing their personal opinions, what this thread is not going to become is a venue in which said personal opinions become the topic of debate and/or ridicule. As such, please refrain from critiquing the opinions of others.

Until such time as actual images of the uniforms in question are leaked/unveiled, there is going to be precious little new subject matter to discuss. That shouldn't be regarded as a free pass to pointedly dismiss or deride the opinions of those you don't agree with on this topic.

Thank you for adjusting the tenor of your commentary accordingly.

MOD EDIT

Thanks for the last reply, Brian from Boston. Stay warm.

Trust me, I'd prefer the Browns do not touch their classic, near-perfect uniform. But, we know an overhaul is coming and after what we've seen from other teams, that Pro Bowl design would be an acceptable outcome. Of course, the Browns need brown, not gray.

87Redskins.png

What I hope the Cleveland Browns come up with:

Something along the lines of the Oregon St. rebrand (simple capped sleeve striping, a not-so-over-done custom block numbering, and a wider set of helmets stripes on an orange helmet)

What probably is going to happen:

A set more akin to what the Dolphins did (Simple colored jerseys with a brand-spanking-new logo on the sleeve caps, new custom numbers with a back story and a helmet close to what they have now)

Worst possible outcome:

- Razorback/Washington collar "teeth" to represent the "Dawg Pound"

- Simply single colored sleeve caps

- A mishmash of modern and tradition that clashes (i.e. modern uniforms/pant stripe with a traditional helmet or flipped)

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

The Browns shouldn't be touching their uniforms to begin with, but if the new ones are similar to the Pro Bowl ones just with brown replacing charcoal, then I could live with it. It would be so much better than another Jags or Bucs and probably slide in just behind the Vikings and Dolphins for best Nike change.

We all know that if even these uniforms are somehow good their will still be one or two elements that keep it from being great or better than the current set, which, again, doesn't need replacing.

Let's look at the problems I have with all of the Nike re-designs thus far:

1. Vikings - Numbers serifs. Do it with both numbers or none (preferably none), not just one. And the facemask should be gray or purple, not black. Even with those 2 issues it's still and upgrade on what they had from 06-12 (but not anything before that) and it ranks in the top half of the league.

2. Dolphins - pretty plain, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. New aqua is an upgrade, but the lack of orange and Aquafresh/travel agency/resort logo is not. Would call it a push if not for the logo.

3. Seahawks - Don't hate them as much as I used too but I still hate the stupid collarbone stripes and their tendency to wear monochrome (the latter isn't Nike's fault) and the white jersey has a severe lack of gray. Downgrade.

4. Jaguars - Worst helmet of all time. Otherwise not that bad. Chest patch is dumb and I have no idea what's going on with those shoulder stripes. They also should be primarily teal, but that's on the owners not Nike. If you can ignore the helmet it's an upgrade but it's a severe downgrade on what they had prior to 2009.

5. Bucs - I can't find one good thing to say about this set. Everything is a downgrade from head to toe. Logos uniform everything. I think actually chrome facemasks are cool and that doesn't even work here. Might be one of the biggest downgrades in the history of the 4 major sports.

Generally, I dislike matte helmets but I agree that Vikings helmet looks good and a matte orange helmet may be just as good.

It would certainly get rid of that ugly orange cone look. Bowling Green's helmet is nice:

wpid-atlxj8qciaayjx8.jpg

I think the Bengals would look better with the matte look as well.

Generally, I dislike matte helmets but I agree that Vikings helmet looks good and a matte orange helmet may be just as good.

It would certainly get rid of that ugly orange cone look. Bowling Green's helmet is nice:

wpid-atlxj8qciaayjx8.jpg

I think the Bengals would look better with the matte look well.

I agree completely. There aren't too many slick, shiny tigers. This coming from someone who's never been a fan of matte.

Another prospective look for Cleveland:

Make the black brown and it works if they're going modern:

hi-res-438618a99de46fd06a9fc02c1ba983e9_

91343f217ca924006a0f6a7067005b31.jpg

c4f428f2d3914943becd66498cd32f13-7495506

121z5W.AuSt.6.jpeg

Matte orange helmet with the wider stripes, jerseys with white/orange stripe on the browns and brown/orange on the whites with pant stripes mirroring the helmet would be a good look for the Browns and a throwback to the 1980's-early 90's look. A standard block number or a custom font with only slight variations from a standard block number would be the best option.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived