It's the End for the Much Maligned LSU "Toonces" Logo

GeauxColonels

So they're replacing a perfectly fine modern logo with an ugly update of one of the worst logos every created? Sometimes you just have to know when not to listen to the dumb masses and let them get used to a far superior product, instead of holding on to something just because its old (especially when that old thing is absolutely hideous).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget, as much crap as Toonces has gotten in the LSU community, they won underneath that logo. Now, I realize some people aren't superstitious but this is sports! I'm surprised LSU, a football school, decided to go ahead and use the basketball logo as it's new primary.

Let's not forget, as much crap as Toonces has gotten in the LSU community, they won underneath that logo. Now, I realize some people aren't superstitious but this is sports! I'm surprised LSU, a football school, decided to go ahead and use the basketball logo as it's new primary.

Eh, really it's the basketball team that took the football logo and tweaked it. So I still consider it to be a football logo.

gYH2mW9.png

I wanna know how "toonces" got his name.

Toonces the Driving Cat from Saturday Night Live

We named our cat Toonces, she lived for 22 years 1988-2010. No one after the mid 90s even remembered what the hell that snl skit was. Or the reference to her kittens either Larry, Daryl, and Daryl.

Cheap jersey and very nice quality NFL Jersey just need $18.99
Order 10 pcs jerseys we provide free shipping.
Super Bowl Championship Rings I to XLVII
2014_Super_Bowl_XLVIII_Patch Available Now
Share our site on Facebook you can get the 5% discount code!~
We also have the customized jersey service and you can have the jersey stitched on you name and your number!
Enjoy the best online shipping experience
www.efeelsports.ru

As much as LSU fans hated Toonces, I thought it was a decent attempt to give LSU some sort of brand beyond the Block LSU and Tiger script logo that came before it. The "geaux font" was prob the best thing to come out of the toonces logo. However, even with this new Tiger logo, LSU would prob be best to still use the letters "LSU" as their main logo versus the modernized round tiger head as that alone is the schools main brand. No one ever refers to the school as Louisiana State. Even recruits have called it the University of LSU at commitment ceremonies.

6li4lpgfh5qg1ssgaf8a.gif

We named our cat Toonces, she lived for 22 years 1988-2010. No one after the mid 90s even remembered what the hell that snl skit was. Or the reference to her kittens either Larry, Daryl, and Daryl.

I won't say where it comes from because whoever doesn't get the reference to your kittens names doesn't deserve to be told. But I applaud you for it!

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Every time I see the Toonces head by itself, I think of this:

lsu_logo.jpg

The head looks like it's just plopped on the body and I can't unsee it. I don't remember the exact number, but the athletic department paid a ridiculous amount of money for that logo and most of the traditionalists threw a fit when it was unveiled. After the eye was unveiled and the new logo at center court, it was just a matter of time until the logo got phased out. I'm interested if they stick the new logo on the helmet or if it they keep the dandelion on there.

Now that logo reminds me of DJ Kitty.

dj%20kitty3.jpgdjkitty2.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Both the old and updated versions of the football logo look like eyes and a mouth drawn on purple and yellow spin art. There was nothing wrong with the now retired logo .

VmWIn6B.png

i dont mind the toonces logo much when its stand alone. it gets much worse with LSU beneath it. I like the idea of a modernized tiger head similar to one on the football helmet, that always looked way to 70s to me and needs an update. FWIW, coming from a non-LA native but in graduate school at LSU.

Wait, seriously? That second logo in the original post is the one they're going to?

It :censored:ing looks like that old Tigers logo, all deformed and :censored:. Like the tiger isn't quite right in the head.

2ly2w09.jpg

The cat that could drive a car, just not very well.

I just keep on thinking about the song for the skit...'it's Toonces, the driving cat!'

Archived