The Alternate Soccer Universe: Ligue Première De Football -- Corsaires (January 22)

MDGP

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the ASF going to be a single division league? Or is that something you are going to look at expanding in the future with promotion/relegation? (If you have time)

I was also curious of this. With the European style of both the kits and crests (Which I absolutely love), I think it'd be awesome to see a pro/rel system.

Well, this has been a bit unexpected. I'm really glad you guys like what I've done so far. Coming in I didn't expect much praise at all, so I'm very happy right now. It's also nice to see some new faces popping up!

Now those Queen City Emerald's Puma kits are absolutely fantastic! Love the off green piping on them. Excellent work on these and how you tied the state of North Carolina into the design. You've done your homework my son :)

This one was actually pretty interesting. I happened to doodle a gem shape in class, and decided to work from there. I actually came up with the location afterwards, and the rest of the elements just happened to fall in line, which was very fortunate for me, haha.

Great to see you're expanding on your original concept with more teams, Lafarge - I'm liking the Stingers in particular.

If we're being perfectly honest here, I'm not at all surprised by that statement, haha.

Is the ASF going to be a single division league? Or is that something you are going to look at expanding in the future with promotion/relegation? (If you have time)

I was also curious of this. With the European style of both the kits and crests (Which I absolutely love), I think it'd be awesome to see a pro/rel system.

At this point in time, I'm gonna focus on getting 20 done before looking into anything else. However, if I do get to that point, and the creativity is still flowing, I'd definitely consider doing at least one lower level league for a pro/rel system, and maybe figure out some derby's and other competitions to work with. It would also give me more leeway to work in larger markets that I'm currently avoiding due to the MLS, and would also help explain some location choices that don't seem to make much sense (you'll see what I mean later on).

With that, It'll be a little while before I get to my next team, got some fun senior-in-college stuff going on this week to take care of, but hopefully I can squeeze something in there for you guys!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

For our next team, we're traveling down to Texas.

ASFNPAustin_zps6c338338.png

(Click to Zoom)

Founded in 1983, the Austin Vampires are a team that has had more recent success in the AFS. Since 2003, the Vampires have only missed the playoffs once (in 2004, when injuries decimated the roster). The team's success peaked in 2006 and 2007 when they won back-to-back championships.

The name Vampires is in reference to the famous Congress Avenue Bridge, which is home to 1.5 million bats. Rather than naming the team just after bats, ownership decided to go with a more mythological name, to fit with the city's reputation of being "weird."

CREST

Austin features a simple, red shield outlined in black. On the front of the shield is the silhouette of a bat (guaranteeing that I get at least one Batman comment) in front of a moon/soccer ball. At the top features the city name in white, and the bottom features the number 83, representing the year of establishment for the team.

(The original version of the crest can be found here)

ASFNPVampiresUniforms_zpse23fbd1f.png

(Click to Zoom)

UNIFORMS

The Vampires are outfitted by Adidas and are sponsored by Dell. Each uniforms has two stars (gold on home and clash, red on third), representing the two championships the franchise has won.

HOME

The Home uniforms are all red, featuring a black chevron which crosses under the shirt sponsor. Being an Adidas team, the uniforms are unable to avoid the three stripes, which cut off the chevron at the shoulders. The uniform features plain white numbers and letters.

CLASH

The clash features the same design as the primary uniform with different colors. These feature white shirts, black shorts, and white socks. The Chevron is red, and the jersey sponsor and numbers are featured in black, while the names are in red.

ASFNPTampaBay_zpsa48ef7f1.png

(Click to Zoom)

THIRD

The third jerseys, officially called the "Midnight Hunter" uniforms by Adidas, is all black with all red accents and lettering. The crest is tonal as well in order for the jersey to represent a bat with blood. This uniform does not feature a chevron like the other two uniforms.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Austin is pretty cool, but I have issues with the bat blending with the shield's boarder and the black on the soccer ball. The bat loses definition. It is the soccer ball where I have the most issue, not so much withe the border. Maybe alter the ball's pattern or give a white outline boarder on the bat inside the ball

Austin is pretty cool, but I have issues with the bat blending with the shield's boarder and the black on the soccer ball. The bat loses definition. It is the soccer ball where I have the most issue, not so much withe the border. Maybe alter the ball's pattern or give a white outline boarder on the bat inside the ball

Good call on that. Something was bugging me about the logo, and that was it. I've done a few mockups that hopefully will alleviate the problem, which do you guys prefer?

ScreenShot2014-03-25at20536PM_zpsb438955

(Click to Zoom)

Alright, I went and tested both of your ideas out. I wasn't a fan of the red at all, it threw the color balance off, and didn't feel quite right. I also tried making the bat head the center of the ball, which is on the right. At this point, I've narrowed it down to these two, I'd definitely appreciate hearing what you guys ahve to say.

ScreenShot2014-03-26at93254AM_zps9a9dd37

To be perfectly honest, something is still off with the crests. I'm gonna use the right one for now, and then come back later with fresh eyes, and see what I can do. I'll have the presentation with the new logo up when I can access the vectors.

In the meantime, I'd like to present the league's 5th team...

F.C. BRIGADE

Founded in 1924, F.C. Brigade is the ASFs oldest franchise, and one of the "Original Four" (Interesting side note, much like in the NHL, the "original Four" doesn't actually describe the teams that founded the league. Upon being founded, the league actually had 6 teams. The "Original Four" describes the four teams founded prior to 1948). Upon noticing the growth of professional athletics in the United States, businessman Guy Lambert decided to establish a soccer franchise in his hometown of Eliot, Maine.
In order to find the talent, Lambert scoured the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (whose entrance is actually located in Eliot) in search of young talent. Lambert's tactics, and ability to pay extremely high wages for talented players worked extremely well, and the Lamberts/Brigade became the most dominant soccer team in New England's history, not losing a game for nearly 4 years.

After two seasons of being known as the Lamberts, Guy decided a name change was in order. An avid history buff, Lambert decided to name the team the Brigade, in honor of his hero, Joshua Chamberlain.

Chamberlain is known as one of the most honored officers in the Civil War. Chamberlain, who earned the Medal of Honor at during the Battle of Gettysburg, and led the Ceremony of Surrender of the Confederate Army at Appomattox Courthouse, was born and educated in Maine. After the war, he became the Governor of the State, and would later go on to serve as president of Bowdoin College.

His impact on the state led to many of the design elements that can be seen in the overall design of the Brigade.

Obviously, Eliot is an extremely small town, and does not seem like it could support a professional franchise. However, the Brigade served as New England's only professional soccer team for many years, and is located a mere hour from both Portland and Boston, as well as many towns in between. This means that Eliot actually has a surprisingly large fan base.

As noted in the first post, Portland's acceptance into the league was surprising, mostly for this reason. Many did not understand the removal of one of the larger markets of one of the league's most historic teams. The league hopes that the steeped history of the region will allow both teams to survive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CREST

For much of their history, the Brigade wore Royal Blue and Yellow, colors that honored the colors the uniforms that Union soldiers sported. These colors were updated in 1954 in order to create a color distinction from several other teams in the league. The team went with "Union" Blue (Light Blue), Black, and Yellow. This combination was chosen because "Light Blue and Black are the colors created when Royal Blue is split in two." (I am aware that's not how colors work).

Despite changing over time, the crest has featured several key elements since it's official inception in 1950. First, the shape of the crest is a diamond with a gold X going through it. This is a representation of the NATO symbol for an infantry brigade. Within the left box is a cannon, and in the right box, a lion. These honor the military work, both of Chamberlain and the Union, but as well as many people who work at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The Lion was also chosen because of Chamberlain's nickname "The Lion of Round Top." Originally, the crest also had the letters B and FC in the top and bottom quarters, respectively... They have since been removed.

In the newest incarnation of the crest, the "X" has become a banner that surround the diamond shield, and each quarter of the shield alternates between Blue and Black. The canon and Lion have both received minor updates, but share the same general features of earlier crests.

ASFNPBrigade_zpsd493abd9.png
(Click to Zoom)

UNIFORMS

Brigade's home uniforms also have an extensive history, featuring a yellow sash, accompanied by contrasting sleeves and shorts. The team is outfitted by Nike, and the shirt sponsor is Shipyard Brewing Co., the state's largest craft brewing company, headquartered in Eliot and Portland, Maine. There is a gold star located above the crest, representing the 5 championships the Brigade have won in ASF play.

BrigadeUniforms_zpsecf36de1.png
(Click to Zoom)

HOME

The home uniforms are Blue with a Yellow sash, and Black sleeves/shorts. On the sleeves and shorts are gold trim, and the socks feature a black and yellow stripe. This design follows the design of most of the team's historic crests.

CLASH

The clash uniforms are monochrome black with a Blue/Yellow Chest stripe. This stripe design is also found on the socks.

THIRD/THROWBACK

Like the Stingers, the Brigade's third jersey is historically accurate, featuring one of the team's earlier crests and original colors. The actual design is relatively similar to that of the current home uniform. Also of note, the shirts feature two stars, as the Brigade only won two championships before their color change.

ASFNPBrigadeThird_zps1e08cfdc.png

Archived