Trends I've noticed in baseball uniforms

msubulldog

1) In cool weather, and sometimes warmer temps, players wearing sweatshirts or hoodies instead of windbreakers.

2) Less and less players wearing long sleeves under their jerseys in cool/cold weather--including pitchers.

3) Managers wearing short-sleeve pullovers instead of a regular jersey.

Are there any others I'm missing?

I think the hoodie thing started in the playoffs a few years ago. It's probablly a marketing thing. I know tons of people around here bought the generic "post season" or "playoffs" when the phillies were in it. It looks odd to see players in a gray sweatshirt over their red and white uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Didn't MLB institute a rule a couple years ago requiring managers to wear jerseys under their short-sleeved jackets, not instead of?

Yes. They caught Terry Francona (I believe) without his jersey a few times and that sparked the rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't MLB institute a rule a couple years ago requiring managers to wear jerseys under their short-sleeved jackets, not instead of?

I'm not sure if it's actually still enforced though.

I still don't understand why a manager needs to wear a uniform at all. Certainly they can come up with coaching gear that would allow for them to look professional but not silly in stretch doubleknit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure if it's actually still enforced though.

I still don't understand why a manager needs to wear a uniform at all. Certainly they can come up with coaching gear that would allow for them to look professional but not silly in stretch doubleknit.

Tradition, I guess? Maybe from the times player/managers were more common... Also, baseball is pretty much the only team sport where a manager/coach can enter the playing field (if only for pitching changes and berating the umpires...)

That's what it is. People on the field in civilian attire look like interlopers. If some guy came to the mound in a polo shirt and slacks, I'd think it were the trainer or another drunk Cubs fan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived