Nordiques or Expos?

Tigers6884

With Tropicana Field falling apart and remaining an empty stadium in Tampa and Pheonix having less fans than a pee wee hockey game, it is likely that the Rays' and Coyotes' days are numbered. Where should these teams relocate to?", you may ask. I believe that the province of Quebec comes up as a potential relocation spot for both teams. Who do you think has the better chance of a return in the future: Les Expos or the Nordiques?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Toronto Bills?

Kidding. But in all honesty, hockey reigns supreme in Canada, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Expos again.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Baseball is a "maybe" success. Hockey is a guaranteed winner in Canada. The only problem is that the NHL is making the decisions there.

Baseball boomed in popularity in Montreal in 1994. Well, before the lockout....
You mean strike. Which was IN 1994. Fans in Montreal essentially disappeared once baseball returned in 1995.

Baseball is a "maybe" success. Hockey is a guaranteed winner in Canada. The only problem is that the NHL is making the decisions there.

You mean strike. Which was IN 1994. Fans in Montreal essentially disappeared once baseball returned in 1995.

Fans everywhere disappeared in 1995 after the strike ended. Basically, no one gave two asses about baseball until the McGuire-Sosa home run race of 1998. According to mainstream sports fans still disgruntled with the strike to this day, the Braves have never won the World Series, the Indians still haven't reached the Fall Classic since 1948, the whole Jeffrey Maier story is a Yankee-oriented myth and the Marlins have won just one World Series in their lifetime (because of Steve Bartman).

Fans everywhere disappeared in 1995 after the strike ended. Basically, no one gave two asses about baseball until the McGuire-Sosa home run race of 1998. According to mainstream sports fans still disgruntled with the strike to this day, the Braves have never won the World Series, the Indians still haven't reached the Fall Classic since 1948, the whole Jeffrey Maier story is a Yankee-oriented myth and the Marlins have won just one World Series in their lifetime (because of Steve Bartman).

I was going to correct you (being the sports nerd that I am), but then I read that you said mainstream fans....

I'm not anti-Montreal, but there's a big long discussion somewhere on these boards about why Montreal might not be a good relocation candidate anymore. I feel like the Nordiques are just a matter of time.

With Tropicana Field falling apart and remaining an empty stadium in Tampa and Pheonix having less fans than a pee wee hockey game, it is likely that the Rays' and Coyotes' days are numbered. Where should these teams relocate to?", you may ask. I believe that the province of Quebec comes up as a potential relocation spot for both teams. Who do you think has the better chance of a return in the future: Les Expos or the Nordiques?

Tropicana Field isn't "falling apart". If it was located in Tampa, the calls to replace it would be much less vocal. That said, I am rooting for the Rays to relocate to Montreal and become the Expos 2.0. The feasibility report the Montreal Baseball Project released recently seemed to under report the costs involved in buying a club, moving it and building a new ballpark. The upcoming games at Stade Olympique will be scrutinized more closely than any other exhibition games in recent memory.

Can't blame Montreal fans. That was their best team, and their best shot at making it to the WS. Had the strike not cancelled the rest of the season, obviously a lot of things would be different, but we may still have a team in Montreal. Or not.

As for this topic, either way we get two good logos back (provided the Nordiques go with the igloo and not the stupid wolf logo they brought out right before moving.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can't blame Montreal fans. That was their best team, and their best shot at making it to the WS. Had the strike not cancelled the rest of the season, obviously a lot of things would be different, but we may still have a team in Montreal. Or not.

As for this topic, either way we get two good logos back (provided the Nordiques go with the igloo and not the stupid wolf logo they brought out right before moving.)

Hopefully we won't get that proposed Nordiques color scheme either.

Yeah, who knows what would have happened, but I definitely would like to have seen what would have happened in 1994...

I am old enough and nostalgic enough to hope for either one (with proper historic franchise lineage, of course), but I tend to think the Nordiques would not use the former franchise's look. The Igloo, while I am very nostalgic for it, is very 1970s, which is probably why the original franchise moved away from it.

The Expos would probably come back with the original franchise's logo (if the Nats/MLB allow it)...but I would REALLY hope they go for something more like the 1990s look than the pinwheel era.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

MLB poisoned the well, salted the earth, burned the bridges, etc. They wanted baseball to fail in Montreal and it did. Mission accomplished. It's never coming back.

That and Jeffrey Loria, who the MLB pinned to destroy baseball in Montreal ran the team into the ground. With the Expos failing, the MLB exercised the right to move the Expos.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Yeah, who knows what would have happened, but I definitely would like to have seen what would have happened in 1994...

I am old enough and nostalgic enough to hope for either one (with proper historic franchise lineage, of course), but I tend to think the Nordiques would not use the former franchise's look. The Igloo, while I am very nostalgic for it, is very 1970s, which is probably why the original franchise moved away from it.

The Expos would probably come back with the original franchise's logo (if the Nats/MLB allow it)...but I would REALLY hope they go for something more like the 1990s look than the pinwheel era.

I think it would still make a good shoulder patch, if nothing else.

Definitely the Nordiques. If the Expos came back into the MLB it would cause a huge mess. They would only fit in as a NL team. The way the NHL is aligned right now the Florida Panthers moving to Quebec would make more sense. The Coyotes would make more sense moving to Seattle/Portland.

Definitely the Nordiques. If the Expos came back into the MLB it would cause a huge mess. They would only fit in as a NL team. The way the NHL is aligned right now the Florida Panthers moving to Quebec would make more sense. The Coyotes would make more sense moving to Seattle/Portland.

Actually, if Montreal were to come back, they could do so as the product of Tampa moving. Montreal is closer to Boston, New York, and Baltimore than Tampa is.

I forgot about, but was just reminded that, the Toronto Blue Jays are going to play a couple of exhibition games against the New York Mets in Olympic Stadium in Montreal on the 28th and 29th of this month. I hope the game will be televised, because I want to see how many Expos fans will show up.

Archived