2014 Australian Football League season

VictoriaGooner

So with the 2014 AFL season starting this week and no dedicated thread for the best game in Australia for supporters talk about their clubs, I thought I would start one up. For many people who don't know much about Aussie Rules footy, the rules are limited and the excitement is plenty throughout the games. If you watch one match and you'll be hooked!

I have been following AFL since 2003 when I was in Australia with the Canadian Navy and saw my first Aussies Rules game at the SCG with my now favorite club Sydney Swans. In the past its been hard to catch live games (normally through illegal streams). But now with TSN2 have weekly matches and the AFL streaming live matches through their website (pay to view on a season basis) it great to see this game being played out.

So if anyone has any views on this season, this is the place to say them. From the just completed NAB Cup (pre-season competition) throughout the regular season and all the way to the Grand Final...bring on the kickoff of the 2014 season.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Swans lost to GWS. This is a dark, dark day.

I know. Ouch! ... and talk about "Shake down the thunder from the sky"

cstswansgiants-20140315203831936955-620x

and Gold Coast beat Richmond (again) So the newest teams are off to a good start

I saw, I came, I left.

I couldnt believe the Swans lost to GWS. For being one of the top teams, they played like it was still pre-season. No passion, no drive, no fortitude. It can only get better for Sydney in the coming weeks.

I know. Ouch! ... and talk about "Shake down the thunder from the sky"

cstswansgiants-20140315203831936955-620x

and Gold Coast beat Richmond (again) So the newest teams are off to a good start

Love that photo...

Here are the results from the 1st Round of the AFL season...the rest of the 1st Round will be played later on this week.

Round 1[edit]

Round 1

Friday, 14 March (7:50 pm) Collingwood 5.16 (46) def. by Fremantle 17.14 (116) Etihad Stadium (crowd: 37,571) Match report

Saturday, 15 March (4:40 pm) Greater Western Sydney 15.9 (99) def. Sydney 9.13 (67) Spotless Stadium (crowd: 17,102) Match report

Saturday, 15 March (6:55 pm) Gold Coast 12.15 (87) def. Richmond 10.9 (69) Metricon Stadium (crowd: 19,425) Match report

Sunday, 16 March (7:40 pm) Carlton 12.15 (87) def. by Port Adelaide 18.12 (120) Etihad Stadium (crowd: 24,460) Match report

Thursday, 20 March (7:10 pm) Geelong vs. Adelaide Simonds Stadium (crowd: )

Friday, 21 March (7:50 pm) North Melbourne vs. Essendon Etihad Stadium (crowd: )

Saturday, 22 March (4:40 pm) Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions Aurora Stadium (crowd: )

Saturday, 22 March (7:40 pm) St Kilda vs. Melbourne Etihad Stadium (crowd: )

Sunday, 23 March (4:40 pm) West Coast vs. Western Bulldogs Patersons Stadium (crowd: )

• The start of the second quarter of the Greater Western SydneySydney match was delayed for twenty-five minutes until a heavy thunderstorm had passed, as it was deemed to have posed a danger to the players. The start of the Gold CoastRichmond match was consequently delayed by fifteen minutes, so that the television broadcasts of the two matches did not overlap.[13]

Collingwood got destroyed by fremantle in their 1st game unfortunately

Collingwood I believe will be having a long year in front of them. They just don't seem to have the attacking fire power like years past.

One week, later, I think it's Sydney that we should be worried about.

I saw, I came, I left.

I just dint get why Sydney are having such a terrible first few matches especially with Buddy Franklin in their roster. Hoping something changes soon for the Swans. Maybe Buddy needs to spend less time in the star spotlight plus parties and more time on the training pitch.

Nathan Fyfe of Fremantle will be banned for the next two matches for due to rough conduct but will also be ineligible for the running for the Brownlow Medal. Some say it it was accidental contact as both players came out of it worse for wear and a hard choice by the Match Review Panel. You decide.

Bye bye Brownlow

I am a fan of the Match Review Panel and this is something that the Premier League, UEFA and other European leagues to start doing with more retrospective bans. Good on you AFL!

Nathan Fyfe of Fremantle will be banned for the next two matches for due to rough conduct but will also be ineligible for the running for the Brownlow Medal. Some say it it was accidental contact as both players came out of it worse for wear and a hard choice by the Match Review Panel. You decide.

Bye bye Brownlow

I am a fan of the Match Review Panel and this is something that the Premier League, UEFA and other European leagues to start doing with more retrospective bans. Good on you AFL!

I also enjoy the MRP and think more leagues should adopt it (I know the NHL has something very similar). I like how the league will post a video explaining why the player is banned for the number of matches that they are rather than just announcing a suspension with no explanation.

Also, I'm praying Carlton can get into the win column against the Dons this week. I don't know many of the players in the league, but I know that the Blues will probably be missing Chris Judd a lot for that match.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

...Buddy and the Swans dismantling the Crows at the SCG. My Swans are in the win column

Game was in Adelaide.

Still, finally!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yes that was my mistake. I was watching the highlights only and jumped the gun there. I realized after I pushed POST that I put the wrong venue down.

Thank the heavens that Franklin and company finally got in the win column. It was looking pretty bleak for the Bloods.

This all reminds me of being in Australia, and how it'd be great if moving there and getting a work permit weren't damned near impossible.

552922_4015906516735_151276057_n.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived