2014 Australian Football League season

VictoriaGooner

This all reminds me of being in Australia, and how it'd be great if moving there and getting a work permit weren't damned near impossible.552922_4015906516735_151276057_n.jpg

I went to a Swans match in 2003 in Sydney , my first AFL match, and I was hooked! That pitch, those goal posts, the speed of play...some days I wish I was still living in Australia.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done, Carlton. :lol:

More like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a bad performance by Carlton but Brisbane Lions had an even worse match against Port Adelaide losing by 113 points. There are some topsy turvy results in the AFL within the first few rounds of this season.

It was a bad performance by Carlton but Brisbane Lions had an even worse match against Port Adelaide losing by 113 points. There are some topsy turvy results in the AFL within the first few rounds of this season.

I expected the Lions not to be good... but as an Essendon supporter, I get a lot pleasure out of Carlton suffering ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I expected the Lions not to be good... but as an Essendon supporter, I get a lot pleasure out of Carlton suffering ^_^

All non-Carlton supports hope that Carlton suffers week to week... :P

An excellent article written on Buddy Franklin and the evolution of the player from his days at Hawthorn to his $10 million transfer to the Swans. Well worth the read.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-18/reinventing-buddy

Do you reckon he'll become an Adam Goodes type player once Goodes retires?

I do reckon Franklin will become a Goodes type of player. He has the same guile and determine as Goodes does. The only thing I find strange with Buddy is that his goal production has dropped drastically over the last two seasons from previous seasons. I still don't know why he was worth $10m with the lack of goals, even though leading Hawthorn to the Grand Final and Premiers pennant. But all I can say is thankfully Swans picked him up. Now if he can get his head into the footy and out of the night life, he could do some damage this year. Especially with the crap start that Sydney has had this season.

DEAD, how do you think Franklin will do? Who do you support?

An excellent article written on Buddy Franklin and the evolution of the player from his days at Hawthorn to his $10 million transfer to the Swans. Well worth the read.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-18/reinventing-buddy

Do you reckon he'll become an Adam Goodes type player once Goodes retires?

I do reckon Franklin will become a Goodes type of player. He has the same guile and determine as Goodes does. The only thing I find strange with Buddy is that his goal production has dropped drastically over the last two seasons from previous seasons. I still don't know why he was worth $10m with the lack of goals, even though leading Hawthorn to the Grand Final and Premiers pennant. But all I can say is thankfully Swans picked him up. Now if he can get his head into the footy and out of the night life, he could do some damage this year. Especially with the crap start that Sydney has had this season.

DEAD, how do you think Franklin will do? Who do you support?

I think Franklin will do reasonably well in Sydney if he plays around half forward. I don't see him kick as many goals as he did with Hawthorn, but he is quite dangerous around the ground. If Kurt Tippett gets healty, Buddy would be more of a distributor than goal kicker, but can stretch defenses if he can still kick goals from outside 50. Yes, the contract is massive, but I don't think it will strangle the club as much as some might suggest in the future because the salary cap is sure to rise during the nine years.

For the record, I am a Bombers supporter and have been for fifteen years.

I saw, I came, I left.

I think Buddy can still kick from outside the 50 but you are correct he will become more of a distributor, creating more in the open field and getting those important marks prior to setting up Tippett inside the 50. Yes Franklin is strong but the man can be fast. We've seen flashes of his brilliance this season. But I'm hoping Goodes can take him under his wing and guide him in the right direction. I'm a Swans supporter and have been for 12 years now after watching my first AFl match in Sydney in 2003

The Swans dig deep and pull out a 17 point win v Fremantle. That was the Sydney of old working hard for every disposal and fighting for every Mark. Plus it was payback for Fremantle knocking us out of the Qualifying Finals last year. Hoping this is the turn around point for them.

I'm now maybe rooting for Adelaide?

Regardless, commanding win from them last night. I'm starting to really enjoy this sport...

Agreed both Adelaide had good performances this past Round, especially the Crows. As well, Gold Coast has been playing decent this season. It's seeming like the bottom half club from last season (other than GWS and Melbourne) have made improvements in the off season. The game of the week is coming up today with Geelong v Hawthorn. I love this sport, was hooked the moment I watched my first league game in 2003 at the SCG.

Archived