2014 Australian Football League season

VictoriaGooner

What a round Round 13 has thrown up for the feast of AFL footy fans.

Carlton 90-118 Hawthorn

Richmond 85-105 Fremantle

Sydney 98-94 Port Adelaide (Franklin with 5 goals - including 65m and 50m strikes)

West Coast 103-100 Gold Coast

Brisbane 80-125 GWS (off the bottom of the ladder and first win away from home)

Adelaide 109-73 North Melbourne

And in the 3 Qtr, Geelong is destroying St. Kilda 107-17.

Left to play is:

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

Essendon v Melbourne

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game from the Dogs and what an excellent last quarter from Melbourne. Kicking myself for turning off the Essendon/Melbourne game at halftime!

That's the thing about footy, if you think it's over at HT but some amazing skill and great runs come to fruitition always errupts. Another reason why i love footy...no game is ever over until that final horn.

The 10 is out for Round 13 and there are some dozies...watch and you decide :P

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-06-15/the-10-round-13

Big games for Round 14

Richmond (15th) v Sydney (3rd)

Hawthorn (2nd) v Collingwood (6th)

Essendon (9th) v Adelaide (10th)

Gold Coast (8th) v Geelong (4th)

• 2 weeks later...

The 10 is out for Round 14 and yet again some amazing spills and thrills from the last round...you decide.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/featured-programs/the-10

Big games of Round 15

Geelong (5th) v Essendon (9th)

Hawthorn (2nd) v Gold Coast (8th)

• 2 weeks later...

What a big 20 point win by the Roos on Friday over the Hawks creating a three-way tie of 44 points for top spot on the ladder (Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, and Sydney). Plus the Roos have put themselves back into a fight for securing a Finals position.

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/16/nmfc-v-haw

Remaining big Round 16 games

Gold Coast (8th) v Collingwood (6th)

Melbourne (15th) v Fremantle (4th)

Port Adelaide (2nd) v Essendon (10th)

West Coast (11th) v Sydney (3rd)

Geelong (5th) v Western (12th)

Huge chances for both the Swans and Power a chance to go top of the ladder this week.

The Sun-Magpies game was really good. It is a shame about Brownlow contender Ablett picking up that shoulder injury. It was pretty disheartening to see his shoulder pop out its socket like that. Plus all the book makers have suspended betting on the Brownlow with this injury.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-06/brownlow-betting-suspended

Here's the latest The 10 from Round 16 of the AFL...enjoy!

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-07-06/the-10-round-16

There is a new leader on top of the ladder this week and it's the Swans! With their victory over West Coast and the Power losing to the Bombers, the Swans take the top spot for the first time in 2014. As well, with victories by the Cats and the Dockers, there is a four-way log jam for second place. The Magpies, Roos and Suns are a further 8 points back. What a finish we have in store for the 2014 season!

Top 8 Round 17 Matchups

Adelaide v Hawthorn (2nd)

Melbourne v Geelong (5th)

North Melbourne (7th) v St. Kilda

Western v Gold Coast (8th)

Sydney (1st) v Carlton

Richmond v Port Adelaide (3rd)

Essendon v Collingwood (6th)

Fremantle (4th) v GWS

Other news around the AFL:

In the mix: Round 17 report including Dockers to regain their skipper as Naitanui, Maxwell, Ziebell and Hibberd prepare to return.

But the big news of the week is the 4-match ban for Hawks defender Brain Lake after found guilty for misconduct by the Tribunal on Tuesday. This stemmed from the Hawks-Roos game this past week where Lake forcefully applied his hand to Petrie's throat where there was a risk of serious injury. That'll be a huge loss for the Hawks this week, not like their defense was solid anyways with Josh Simpson being out with a lengthy injury. Drew Petrie himself, the other side of the bust up, was cleared of all charges by the League. The entirety of the bust up is available here through video

Top 8 Round 18 Matchups (Split Round)

Carlton v North Melbourne (6th)

St. Kilda v Fremantle (2nd)

GWS v Geelong (4th)

Port Adelaide (5th) v Melbourne

Western v Essendon (7th)

Hawthorn (3rd) v Sydney (1st) from the MCG - Game of the Round hands down!

Collingwood (8th) v Adelaide

News:

- St. Kilda's Lenny Hayes calls it a career.

- I plan on uploading a Hawthorn-Sydney match preview. Going to epic!

- The 10 from round 17

Round 18 (18-20 July)

The two games of the first part of the split round were the Saints v Dockers and Bulldogs v Bombers

What a massive upset by St. Kilda over the Dockers. No one would have guessed that would have happened, especially with Fremantle only scoring 9.6.60. Riewoldt and Stanley put on a goal scoring highlight fest. Match report

The last two minutes in the Bulldogs-Bombers game was a thing of beauty. What a strong defensive stand by the Bombers. But Jake Carlisle lead the way for the Essendon with 8 goals. Watch the last two minute replay in the link below. Match report

Five things that was learned over the first part of the split round

Onto the second half of Round 18 starting Friday with the Eagles hosting the Tigers....then the big one Sydney v Hawthorn, rematch of the 2012 AFL Grand Final and the return of Buddy Franklin with his old club, part 2.

The Roos have been terribly inconsistent over the entire season. I was hoping maybe they could string some victories together but I don't see that happening anytime soon. It would be good for the league for more of these lesser clubs making a push for a Finals berth. But my Swans are top of the ladder with a game in hand. Big game this week v Hawthorn.

The Sydney v Hawthorn game on Saturday should be the game of the season, and quite possibly a preview of this year's Grand Final. Here's the break down of the match.

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday July 26, 7.40pm AEST (5:40am EDT)

TV AND RADIO: Click here for the broadcast guide

PAST FIVE TIMES

R8, 2014, Sydney Swans 15.17 (107) d Hawthorn 13.10 (88) at ANZ Stadium
1QF, 2013, Hawthorn 15.15 (105) d Sydney Swans 7.9 (51) at the MCG
R23, 2013, Hawthorn 17.10 (112) d Sydney Swans 16.4 (100) at ANZ Stadium
R7, 2013, Hawthorn 18.11 (119) d Sydney Swans 12.10 (82) at the MCG
GF, 2012, Sydney Swans 14.7 (91) d Hawthorn 11.15 (81) at the MCG

THE SIX POINTS
1. When the Sydney Swans beat Hawthorn in round eight, Kurt Tippett booted four goals, Dan Hannebery was the standout with 40 possessions and two goals and Lance Franklin kicked 2.7 against his old side.
2. The Hawks are averaging 57.7 inside 50s a game this season, the most in the AFL. The Swans are next best at 56.7 a game.
3. In 156 contests between these clubs, Hawthorn holds the edge, 86-68, with two draws.
4. The Sydney Swans will need to create history to beat Hawthorn. The Swans have won 12 straight games since round five – the fourth time they have won a dozen consecutive matches – but have never won 13 in a row.
5. Hawthorn has kicked the most goals this season – 274 in 16 games. The Swans are fourth with 224 goals, also in 16 games (Port Adelaide and Fremantle have played one more game and kicked 256 and 226 respectively).
6. Swans Kieren Jack (eighth), Josh Kennedy (ninth) and Lance Franklin (10th) will be the highest-ranked players on the ground on Saturday night in the Official AFL Player Ratings. Jarryd Roughead is the leading Hawk at No.15.
PREDICTION: Hawthorn by 10 points

Now that it basically doesn't count unless they run the table, the Tigers have pulled out 4 straight, and go against GWS, losers of 4 straight, next week. I'd put money on the Giants to cover, if not win outright. At least the game isn't in Cairns.

Crap decision by Fox to put the Lions-Suns game on Fox Sports 2, while burying Hawks-Suns on Fox Soccer Plus, a channel which costs an extra $15 per month on its own.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As for the Tigers-Suns game next round, I would take the Tigers for the spread or win due to the Suns being 0-7 when they they play without Ablett.

As for the second half of the Hawks-Swans game, I was hoping for more from the Swans especially Buddy Franklin. Now it's a three way tie on top the ladder. What a finish this season is going to be and run into the Grand Final Series.

Archived