2014 Australian Football League season

VictoriaGooner

It looks weird that Richmond's not in ninth.

You shut your whore mouth.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with the run into the end of the 2014 AFL season, here's a breakdown of the remaining 5 games each club has (current top 8 plus clubs that have a legitimate chance of qualifying for the Final Series if things go their way):

1. Sydney Swans 52 pts Ess @Port StK @WB Rich

2. Hawthorn 52 pts WB Mel @Fre Geel @Coll

3. Geelong Cats 52 pts @NM Fre @Carl @Haw Bris

4. Fremantle 48 pts Carl @Geel Haw @Bris Port

5. Port Adelaide 48 pts @Coll Syd @GC Carl @Fre

6. N Melbourne 40 pts Geel @GWS WB Adel Mel

7. Essendon 40 pts @Syd @Rich WCE GC @Carl

8. Adelaide 36 pts WCE @Bris Rich @NM StK

9. Collingwood 36 pts Port @WCE Bris @GWS Haw

10. Gold Coast 36 pts StK @GC Port @Ess WCE

11. West Coast 28 pts @Adel Coll @Ess Mel @GC

12. Richmond 28pts GWS Ess @Adel Stk @Syd

Looking at the above, the Roos and Crows have the easiest run in to the Final Series (that's if their inconsistency doesn't bite them in the ass). The last five rounds are going to be good! Especially with five clubs fighting for 1st Flag/minor Premiers rights!

The AFL put up this nice breakdown of the run-in for the top 12 clubs going into the end of the Premiership season with who will and won't make it into the Finals Series.

1. Sydney Swans

52 points (13 wins, four losses) 138.8 per cent

The Swans' 12-game winning streak might have ended against Hawthorn last Saturday night, but Fremantle's shock loss to St Kilda ensures they remain in pole position for a top-two finish. The Swans will start favourites against top-eight teams Essendon and Port Adelaide over the next two weeks, and should be too strong for St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Richmond in the run home to the finals. Their cause is further aided by the fact Hawthorn, Geelong and Fremantle all face each other before the finals.
The run home:
Rd 19: Essendon at the SCG
Rd 20: Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval
Rd 21: St Kilda at the SCG
Rd 22: Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium
Rd 23: Richmond at ANZ Stadium

2. Hawthorn
52 points (13 wins, four losses) 138 per cent

The Hawks' win over the Swans and Fremantle's loss to St Kilda has strengthened their hopes of a top-two finish. Hawthorn should comfortably account for the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne over the next two weeks, but its bid for a home qualifying final will likely be decided by the following clashes with Freo and Geelong. Collingwood has been the Hawks' whipping boy in recent times and should present few problems in round 23.

The run home:
Rd 19: Western Bulldogs at Aurora Stadium
Rd 20: Melbourne at the MCG
Rd 21: Fremantle at Patersons Stadium
Rd 22: Geelong at the MCG
Rd 23: Collingwood at the MCG

3. Geelong
52 points (13 wins, four losses) 112.1 per cent

The Cats' relatively low percentage effectively puts them a game behind the Sydney Swans and Hawthorn in the top-two race. Geelong has a tough run over the next month with games against North Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton and Hawthorn, but should be too strong at home for the Brisbane Lions in round 23. Now in the box seat for a top-four finish given Port's poor recent form.
The run home:
Rd 19: North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium
Rd 20: Fremantle at Simonds Stadium
Rd 21: Carlton at Etihad Stadium
Rd 22: Hawthorn at the MCG
Rd 23: Brisbane Lions at Simonds Stadium

4. Fremantle
48 points (12 wins, five losses) 133.2 per cent

The Dockers' shock loss to St Kilda was a massive blow to their hopes of a top-two finish, putting them a game behind the Swans, Hawks and Cats. Freo is likely to rebound strongly against Carlton at home this Thursday night and should be too strong for the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide in the final two rounds of the season. The Dockers' clashes with Geelong (away) and Hawthorn (home) in rounds 20 and 21 should shape their season.
The run home:
Rd 19: Carlton at Patersons Stadium
Rd 20: Geelong at Simonds Stadium
Rd 21: Hawthorn at Patersons Stadium
Rd 22: Brisbane Lions at the Gabba
Rd 23: Port Adelaide at Patersons Stadium
5. Port Adelaide
48 points (12 wins, five losses) 132.4 per cent

The Power's three-point home victory against Melbourne was just their second win from the past six rounds and did nothing to suggest they have arrested their form slump. It's hard to see Port beating the Swans in round 20 or Freo in round 23, so it will probably have to win away clashes against Collingwood and Gold Coast and a home game against Carlton – and hope other results fall its way – to pinch a top-four spot.
The run home:
Rd 19: Collingwood at the MCG
Rd 20: Sydney Swans at Adelaide Oval
Rd 21: Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium
Rd 22: Carlton at Adelaide Oval
Rd 23: Fremantle at Patersons Stadium
The top four suddenly looks a long way off for the formerly high-flying Power.

6. North Melbourne

40 points (10 wins, seven losses) 112.5 per cent

The Roos kissed any hopes of a top-four finish goodbye with their loss to Carlton, but they should still be able to lock up a finals berth given their relatively easy draw. Their biggest remaining tests appear to be against Geelong and Adelaide, but the Roos' struggles against lower ranked teams this year means their clashes with Greater Western Sydney, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne are far from foregone conclusions.
The run home:
Rd 19: Geelong at Etihad Stadium
Rd 20: Greater Western Sydney at Startrack Oval
Rd 21: Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium
Rd 22: Adelaide at Blundstone Arena
Rd 23: Melbourne at Etihad Stadium
7. Essendon
40 points (10 wins, seven losses) 109.8 per cent

The Bombers have won four of their past five matches and are now odds on to make the finals. Essendon only meets one other current top-eight team in the run home – the Sydney Swans this Friday night at the SCG – and should be too strong in consecutive home games against West Coast and Gold Coast. But traditional rivals Richmond and Carlton could be tougher to get over.
The run home:
Rd 19: Sydney Swans at the SCG
Rd 20: Richmond at the MCG
Rd 21: West Coast at Etihad Stadium
Rd 22: Gold Coast at Etihad Stadium
Rd 23: Carlton at the MCG

8. Adelaide
36 points (nine wins, eight losses) 109 per cent

Adelaide entered the top eight for the first time this season after its win against Collingwood last Sunday, and looks a strong chance to stay there. The Crows should start clear favourites in four of their final five games - against West Coast, the Lions, Richmond and St Kilda – and had a comfortable win over their other remaining opponent, North Melbourne, in round 13.
The run home:
Rd 19: West Coast at Adelaide Oval
Rd 20: Brisbane Lions at the Gabba
Rd 21: Richmond at Adelaide Oval
Rd 22: North Melbourne at Blundstone Oval
Rd 23: St Kilda at Adelaide Oval
Collingwood's midfield has some work to do to keep touch with the flag contenders.
-------------------------------------------------

9. Collingwood
36 points (nine wins, eight losses) 105 per cent

Collingwood slipped out of the eight for the first time since round five with its loss to Adelaide, having now lost five of its past six games. But Nathan Buckley's men can still right the Pies' ship, with their next four matches highly winnable – an out-of-form Port Adelaide, West Coast, Brisbane Lions and GWS. The Pies would hope to have booked their finals berth by the end of that stretch because they face bogey team Hawthorn in round 23.

The run home:
Rd 20: West Coast at Patersons Stadium
Rd 21: Brisbane Lions at the MCG
Rd 22: Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium
Rd 23: Hawthorn at the MCG

The run home:
Rd 19: Port Adelaide at the MCG
Rd 20: West Coast at Patersons Stadium
Rd 21: Brisbane Lions at the MCG
Rd 22: Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium
Rd 23: Hawthorn at the MCG
10. Gold Coast
36 points (nine wins, eight losses) 96.1 per cent

Gold Coast's season is spiralling out of control even quicker than Collingwood's, with the Suns' dismal loss to the Brisbane Lions their sixth in the past eight rounds. Their poor percentage also effectively puts them two games out of the eight and means the Suns might need to win four of their remaining five games to reach the finals. Three home games – against St Kilda, Port Adelaide and West Coast – helps their cause, but Carlton at Etihad Stadium will be a tricky assignment and Essendon at the same venue even tougher.

The run home:
Rd 19: St Kilda at Metricon Stadium
Rd 20: Carlton at Etihad Stadium
Rd 21: Port Adelaide at Metricon Stadium
Rd 22: Essendon at Etihad Stadium
Rd 23: West Coast at Metricon Stadium

11. West Coast
28 points (seven wins, 10 losses) 106.6 per cent

The Eagles' loss to Richmond put them three games out of the eight and all but ended their finals hopes. West Coast would now need to win all five of its remaining games and hope that other results fall its way. We expect the Eagles' fate will be sealed over the next three weeks, when they face tough away games against Adelaide and Essendon and a home game against Collingwood.

The run home:
Rd 19: Adelaide at Adelaide Oval
Rd 20: Collingwood at Patersons Stadium
Rd 21: Essendon at Etihad Stadium
Rd 22: Melbourne at Patersons Stadium
Rd 23: Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium

12. Richmond
28 points (seven wins, 10 losses) 101.3 per cent

The Tigers have given their season a late air of respectability with four straight wins but, like the Eagles, they could win all five of their remaining games and still not make the finals. And given Richmond meets Essendon and has away clashes with Adelaide and the Sydney Swans to come, Damien Hardwick's men can start making their September holiday plans now.

The run home:
Rd 19: Greater Western Sydney at the MCG
Rd 20: Essendon at the MCG
Rd 21: Adelaide at Adelaide Oval
Rd 22: St Kilda at the MCG
Rd 23: Sydney Swans at ANZ Stadium

119343s.jpg

The AFL International Cup (an international AFL tournament that takes place every three years) will take place in Melbourne between August 9-23. This year, there will be 18 men's national teams and 7 women's national teams (2 teams from Canada and USA). A game fixture list and IC14 competition explained can be found through this link, including a brief history of the International Cup from 2002 onwards. No word on if any games will be televised by Seven Network and/or Fox Footy. But hopefully AFL has a good international streaming package (like their Premiership package) for IC14.

Men's team guernseys

eg4k6a.jpg

Women's team guernseys

17vhg5.jpg

It was announced by the AFL today, and reported through AFL Europe, that the following matches in the AFL International Cup will be streaming matches LIVE! The following matches will be streamed live and will also be available on demand to watch at later date.

- All matches on McAlister, Ransford and Western ovals on Sunday August 10 (Round 1 matches)

- All matches on McAlister, Ransford and Western ovals on Friday August 22 (Finals Round)

- Women’s Grand Final at Punt Road Oval on Saturday August 22nd

- Men’s Grand Final at MCG onSaturday August 22nd

- USA Liberty v Canada Midnight Suns on Wednesday 20th August (Liberty have a BYE in round 1, this will ensure that they get at least 1 match filmed and streamed

That is great news for the international audience wanting to catch IC14 competition. Hoping it will be a tournament package price like their AFL Premiership season pass. For a list of matches, go to the following link http://www.afleurope.org/afl-announces-live-streaming/

Round 19 answered very few questions but the Roos, the Bombers, and the Crows all loosing, hurting their chances in Final Series berths. Plus making positions 6-10 a log jam separated by 4 points. Sorry Crash but your Crows inconsistency showed through even earlier than expected.

League leaders Swans, Dockers and Cats continue to win picking up crucial four points each.

Fremantle 83-78 Carlton

Sydney 79-57 Essendon

Adelaide 105-136 West Coast

Richmond 89-62 GWS

Gold Coast 117-64 St. Kilda

N Melbourne 79-111 Geelong

Hawthorn still plays Sunday (Australia local time) along with a big battle between the Magpies and the Power at the MCG. Collingwood need a win to keep in contention of the top 8.

Mrs Jaffa has just let me upgrade our telly sports package, meaning that one of the things we can now get are AFL matches. I might just have to dip my toe in and watch a game or two, and see how I take to it...

Heh - personally I can't abide rugby, despite living in what's dubiously billed as a 'rugby town'. ;) I won't let that tarnish my views though.

It's on BT Sport here in Englandshire.

I am a bigger fan of Aussie Rules footy than rugby, and agreed a lot more exciting game to watch (faster game, more action, fitter athletes). But I still enjoy watching the big rugby matches from to time (Super Rugby Final, Rugby World Cup, Six Nations, The Rugby Championship).

The final five rounds of the AFL Premiership is going to be tight and competitive. Can't wait for the Grand Final Series.

It was nice to see a Footy match on tv here in the states. Is there any hope of FS1 carrying games in primetime?

Primetime? Probably not. The earliest matches start around 11:00 ET.

But I still think FOX could do well with it if they marketed a couple matches a week for the late-night younger sports fans and the west-coast sports fan.

It'd sure as hell have to beat the ratings for FOX Sports Live or whatever it is.

6fQjS3M.png

I mean, no one's watching Fox Sports 2 except for AFL/NRL hardcores, right? I think the entire rest of their schedule is UFC and skateboarding reruns. The overnight Australian stuff might be the only live programming they have.

Also, fair warning to American newcomers: Fox is probably going to air the Grand Final on Fox Soccer Plus again, because it's an a la carte premium channel on DirecTV, and you have to pay $15 to get it for one month, even if the Grand Final is all you want to watch.

Anyway, Richmond has won 6 straight for the first time since 1995. They've gone from 3-10 to 9-10, and yes, I know it's probably too little, too late, and they'll probably finish 9th (again), but I don't care. This has been some of the most fun and excitement I've had since I started watching footy, and it's good to see the club re-assert itself. Friday's Tigers-Bombers game was probably the best I've ever seen involving any teams in my few short years of following the sport.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It was nice to see a Footy match on tv here in the states. Is there any hope of FS1 carrying games in primetime?

Primetime? Probably not. The earliest matches start around 11:00 ET.

But I still think FOX could do well with it if they marketed a couple matches a week for the late-night younger sports fans and the west-coast sports fan.

It'd sure as hell have to beat the ratings for FOX Sports Live or whatever it is.

Yeah, last night was the rare 830pm/PT start. Usually FS2 gives the 11pm/PT or 2am/PT start games. I record them and watch them Saturday/Sunday morning. Nice thing about no one covering it is the only way to get spoiled is to actively seek it out. Or accidentally open this thread,

Agreed last night was a rare earlier bounce , it was nice to watch the match live. I normally PVR all the Swans games and watch them the next day. Up here in Canada AFL is televised on TSN2 with usually 1-3 games over the weekend (1 live and 1 or 2 taped delay). The good thing is that the Grand Final is shown live the last three seasons on TSN2 without having to pay extra. If you are worried about missing the Finals Series or Grand Final, the AFL International streaming service is amazing. HD coverage, all the matches every round all for a good price.

As for the Tigers, agreed the Tigers-Bombers game was end to end, full of action never letting up. Unlike the Carlton-Gold Coast game...yawn. But you get those type of games each round. Even though they are 9-10, the Tigers still have a chance to make the Finals Series. I think the momentum alone will push them to a Finals Series berth, especially when you have teams like the Crows, Roos and Sun's being inconsistent of late dropping big points and dragging this fringe teams back in the hunt.

Here's the last 41 seconds of the Tigers-Bombers game...

All I can say was the Suns are an atrocious team without Abblett.

It looks weird that Richmond's not in ninth.

You shut your whore mouth.

Only four points away! YOU CAN DOOOO EEEET!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The top of the ladder after Round 20 is tight with Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong all tied on 60 pts and Fremantle just 8 points behind them. Here's hoping Fremantle can do some damage to Hawthorn as they play the Hawks on Sunday. I do have to say this AFL Premiership has been very enjoyable without a doubt, and we haven't hit the Finals Series. And the Tigers are only 4 points out of 7th place on the ladder with a log jam of Adelaide, Essendon, Collingwood, Gold Coast, and West Coast.

Today is day two of the Australian Federal case of Essendon v ASADA: The Supplements Scandal. Things are starting to heat up in the federal court case, video of today's coverage. For anyone not familiar with the Essendon/ASADA (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority), here's a nice little write up on the entire situation and how it has rocked the AFL in 2013. James Hird is still serving his 12 month club suspension and will end on August 25, 2014.

Plus here is Round 20's The 10. Another highlight pack full of great spills and thrills from this past weekend.

Archived