VictoriaGooner

My picks for the finals series:

Cats over Hawks by 21

Swans over Freo by 30

Kangaroos over Bombers by 15

Port over Tigers by 5

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Finals Week 1 is three-quarters complete and there were some really good footy to be had up til today:

Qualification Final 1 - Hawks d. Cats by 36 setting up a Hawks preliminary final home matchup at the MCG, with the Cats having to go through the second semi-final hosting at the MCG. Watching the game, I thought this would have came down to the wire with Geelong tying it up at 41 at the HT horn but the Hawks were too strong in the end. Not an absolute Hawks-Cats classic but still a good one to watch from a neutral point of view.

Qualification Final 2 - Swans d. Dockers by 24 setting up a Swans preliminary final home matchup at the ANZ, with Freo having to go through the first semi-final hosting at Patersons Stadium . Coleman Medalist Buddy Franklin was simply unbelievable again in the Finals Series, stepping up huge for the Swans.

Elimination Final 1 - Roos d. Bombers by 12 getting North Melbourne into the next round. The Roos came back to win from being down by 27 at half time. Now that's determination. Roos Ben Brown had a huge night kicking four goals and being the catalyst for the NM attack. Essendon had too much pressure on them with the ASDA inquiry and bans hanging over them all season. The Bombers will be stronger next season. NM will now travel to Melbourne to face Geelong in Semi-final 2

Elimination Final 2 - Power v Tigers tonight...there will be fireworks in this one. The winner of this game face the Dockers in Semi-final 1

WELP

20140907_124103_zps56ngjqvf.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

WELP

Nathan Gordon took one hell of a knee to the bridge of his nose when going for a loose ball two minutes earlier. I'm surprised it took those two minutes for the umpires to call for a blood rule...nothing like a little stitches and glue to get you back out there :)

As for the Tigers absolute destruction on the pitch by Power, that fairytale story had to come to an end sooner or later. It was one hell of a run by them into the Finals. But the Power created too many Tiger turnovers and capitalized on most of them.

AFL released The 10 Best of 2014 (Rds 1-11) some excellent plays throughout...worth a watch.

Finals Week 2

kaibuq.jpg

29blwf6.jpg

FW2 I am predicting Geelong over North Melbourne and Port Adelaide over Fremantle (Freo isn't the same side like last year's Grand Finalists, will falter)

WELP

Nathan Gordon took one hell of a knee to the bridge of his nose when going for a loose ball two minutes earlier. I'm surprised it took those two minutes for the umpires to call for a blood rule...nothing like a little stitches and glue to get you back out there :)

As for the Tigers absolute destruction on the pitch by Power, that fairytale story had to come to an end sooner or later. It was one hell of a run by them into the Finals. But the Power created too many Tiger turnovers and capitalized on most of them.

AFL released The 10 Best of 2014 (Rds 1-11) some excellent plays throughout...worth a watch.

Finals Week 2

kaibuq.jpg

29blwf6.jpg

FW2 I am predicting Geelong over North Melbourne and Port Adelaide over Fremantle (Freo isn't the same side like last year's Grand Finalists, will falter)

That's actually Nathan Foley.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

WELP

Finals Week 2

kaibuq.jpg

29blwf6.jpg

That's actually Nathan Foley.

Thanks for the correction fumbler! :)

All good mate, he played a good game, the first for a while.

Nathan Gordon just for the record started his career at the Swans. He only played 2 games over two seasons and was delisted at the end of 2012. 2013 he played in the SANFL and we picked him up in the 2014 pre-season draft.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

So, Port has to go with the prison bars for the rest of the Finals after that, right?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have to agree with people on this thread as well as many ALF commentators and journalists: this past Semifinal weekend was one of the best Finals Series footy we have seen in a very long time. There was excitement from the opening bounce to the final siren in both games. This is why I love this game so much as any club can win in this league, no matter what. Here's a recap of the Semifinals FW3 for all to enjoy and relive.

With that, the Preliminary Finals are set for this upcoming weekend:

oj30c0.png

14t4os4.jpg

For this weekend's Preliminary Finals my predictions are: Swans over the Roos by 20 and Hawks over the Power by 18...looking for a rematch in the 2012 AFL Grand Final! what's everyone's predictions for the Preliminaries?

As well, here is the link to the Best of the 10: Round 12-23. This has been one of the best competitive seasons for a while now. Not looking forward to the end of this season.

Just noticed something...no AFL club currently wears green on their jumper! Isn't that a bit shocking? I came across this realization while watching some classic games on YouTube and saw that Fremantle's (AWFUL) old red/green/purple jumper had green on the entirety of the back of the shirt. Since they went to purple/white, no team has worn green...does this surprise anyone else???

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Just noticed something...no AFL club currently wears green on their jumper! Isn't that a bit shocking? I came across this realization while watching some classic games on YouTube and saw that Fremantle's (AWFUL) old red/green/purple jumper had green on the entirety of the back of the shirt. Since they went to purple/white, no team has worn green...does this surprise anyone else???

Not really, not many Australian clubs do, NRL only has Souths, the old Rugby Championships did either.

I think it is due to Green being one of our national colours.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Finally got to finish watch the semifinals. My goodness.\, this season has been an embarrassment of riches.

Let's go with the Swans by 25, and Port by 8.

Also, question from someone still learning: I know if the Grand Final is tied, they do a replay, but what if there's a tie score in the other Finals rounds? Is there some sort of overtime protocol?

Archived