2014 Australian Football League season

VictoriaGooner

Also, question from someone still learning: I know if the Grand Final is tied, they do a replay, but what if there's a tie score in the other Finals rounds? Is there some sort of overtime protocol?

Under the current AFL finals system a game during the first three weeks of the finals cannot finish in a draw. If two teams are tied at the end of regulation time, five-minute periods of extra time will be played until a winner is decided.

If the Grand Final is drawn, the match is replayed on the following weekend. If the Grand Final Replay is also drawn at full-time, extra time will be played.[

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after Preliminary Final #1, Swans handed Roos a 71 point loss (19.22:136 - 9.11:65) and a ticket into their second Grand Final in three years. What an excellent game of footy to watch. Franklin (5 goals), Goodes (350th game - 3 goals), Parker (3 goals, 26 disposals) and Rohan all had top games leading the red and whites to a huge victory. Here's hoping that same hunger and tynasty is there in the Grand Final v Hawks/Power.

Highlights if anyone is interested in watch it from last night's game:

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=690759

I hand on the silverware...

Tough rooting for the upset when Hawthorn plays such a good possession game. Seriously, when you get the ball in your own defensive square (for lack of a better word...help?) wouldn't you kick it out if you had the chance? Just a great game! No offsides or anything, I love it!

EDIT: That's a goal! It's a goal! Love these announcers! Holy crap what a game! What a comeback so far!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

So close, Port. Fantastic effort. I was out of my seat for those last few minutes.

So it's 1 vs 2 for the premiership, 2012's champions vs 2013's champs, a rematch of the 2012 Grand Final, and the guy who helped lead Hawthorn to the title last year now plays for Sydney. That enough narratives for ya?

I just hope, with how bonkers these Finals have been, it doesn't end with some 50-point yawner. Give me more bedlam!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So close, Port. Fantastic effort. I was out of my seat for those last few minutes.

So it's 1 vs 2 for the premiership, 2012's champions vs 2013's champs, a rematch of the 2012 Grand Final, and the guy who helped lead Hawthorn to the title last year now plays for Sydney. That enough narratives for ya?

I just hope, with how bonkers these Finals have been, it doesn't end with some 50-point yawner. Give me more bedlam!

Yeah definitely was up and down there in the past few minutes. Was rooting for the Power upset, but it was a great game. I don't know if the Grand Final will be the same though... Swans look pretty dominant right now.

Check out my music!

Yeah definitely was up and down there in the past few minutes. Was rooting for the Power upset, but it was a great game. I don't know if the Grand Final will be the same though... Swans look pretty dominant right now.

The second Preliminary Final was highly entertaining and Power was so close in taking it. I was hoping for Power in defeating the Hawks but I will take a rematch of the 2012 Grand Final. Loving all the narratives that's going to come out throughout the week building up to the Grand Final. I myself is also hoping for more bedlam next Saturday vice a 50+ point blowout. But that might be hard with Swans being as methodical and dominant as they are right now, including throughout the 2014 Premiership. I just don't know who on the Hawks can really defend and shutdown Buddy Franklin. Franklin has been averaging 5 goals and 30+ disposals his last 7 games. Plus Swans have Goodes, Rohan, Parker and Victoria, BC-born Mike Pyke (first Canadian national and the first former rugby union professional to play in AFL) in their arsenal. Here's hoping to another red and white premiers winning season.

24nek5i.png

For anyone not seeing the Hawks-Power Preliminary Final, here are the highlights:

http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=690964

As well, here is The 10's Best of 2014 The Finals...please don't end the season.

And of course, it's going to be extremely difficult to watch live in the States, because Fox will once again be broadcasting the Grand Final on Fox Soccer Plus, a channel very few providers carry that costs $15/month all by itself. What a petty cash grab by Fox for what probably amounts to a couple hundred thousand dollars.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And of course, it's going to be extremely difficult to watch live in the States, because Fox will once again be broadcasting the Grand Final on Fox Soccer Plus, a channel very few providers carry that costs $15/month all by itself. What a petty cash grab by Fox for what probably amounts to a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Well for AFL fans, you can always purchase the AFL International streaming package from afl.com.au where you can watch every Premiership game during the 23 round season and Finals Series, including Grand Final, all live and replays. It's cheaper doing that than paying $15/month for one or two games a week. At least you can pick and choose what you want.

Another way to watch it would be through streaming means of wiziwig or CricketFree. TSN2 here in Canada is showing the entire Grand Final, including all the pregame buildup and post game coverage.

There are other ways to watch it...just have to think how bad you want to watch it.

Oh, I'm going to a watch party at a bar here in Chicago. I'm just lamenting its lack of availability and promotion on a family of sports networks starved for content.

I'm just lamenting its lack of availability and promotion on a family of sports networks starved for content.

This.

I still fail to see why a well-promoted AFL on FS1 couldn't carry better ratings than whatever :censored: is on there at 11:00 on Friday and Saturday nights. I just don't. It's a sport that this country should love in all honesty.

6fQjS3M.png

Well this news makes my day just a little bit more crappy...

Definitely will be getting the Live Pass next year. Just don't see the point for one game. Hopefully I can find a way to stream it online, but no luck yet.

Check out my music!

Oh, I'm going to a watch party at a bar here in Chicago. I'm just lamenting its lack of availability and promotion on a family of sports networks starved for content.

It's kind of a slap to build up a following on FS2 and then use the Final as a way for those interested to add Fox Soccer+. Most people aren't going to make that effort and do what you (and maybe I) will do and head to the nearest Aussie bar.

It's kind of a slap to build up a following on FS2 and then use the Final as a way for those interested to add Fox Soccer+. Most people aren't going to make that effort and do what you (and maybe I) will do and head to the nearest Aussie bar.

Which I don't even know where the closest one would be in the middle of Missouri. I know where to go watch soccer and rugby games that aren't on normal tv here, but AFL here in Columbia, MO? I can't talk about it to anyone around here cause no one knows what the hell it is. I always have to pull up a video to explain it, and still no interest.

Check out my music!

Well this news makes my day just a little bit more crappy...

Definitely will be getting the Live Pass next year. Just don't see the point for one game. Hopefully I can find a way to stream it online, but no luck yet.

That's why I am really happy that TSN2 here in Canada has live and taped delay coverage of AFL throughout the Premiership season (2-3 games a week), from first bounce to the Grand Final. And it was released from TSN that they extended their contract with the AFL for being the only station in Canada to televise AFL. Great for me!

But I sometimes watch it streaming either through Live Pass (which I have through AppleTV) or through other means :P If you want a good site to watch AFL, especially the Grand Final, use http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports Just go under "OTHER" to find the matches.

And the thing is, I don't think most people even have the option to add it. My understanding is that very few TV providers outside of DirecTV even offer FS+ at all. So I guess you could maybe get it on Fox Sports Go, then, which is another subscription on another device? I don't even know.

And the thing is, I don't think most people even have the option to add it. My understanding is that very few TV providers outside of DirecTV even offer FS+ at all. So I guess you could maybe get it on Fox Sports Go, then, which is another subscription on another device? I don't even know.

That's the funny part, I do have DirecTV. But they aren't a partner in Fox Sports Go so no luck there. It's a very odd setup.

AFAIK, UVerse is the only provider to carry the channel in HD full-time. Events like this aren't going to change those numbers and only serve to anger those who have already been viewing the product.

Either way, Go Hawks! (dance)

FOX Soccer 2 Go sucks anyways for the AFL. I mean, it's great when they've actually got the game you want but it's frustrating as hell having just 2 or 3 games a weekend when you don't even post them until Thursday.

6fQjS3M.png

Big news out of the AFL today was the award ceremony for the Brownlow Medal. West Coast's Matt Priddis wins the prestigious award by taking 26 votes and securing the medal after 22 rounds. The top five vote getters were: Matt Priddis WCE 26 votes, Gary Ablett GC 22 votes, Lance Franklin SYD 22 votes, Travis Boak PAD 21 votes, and Patrick Dangerfield ADE 21 votes. Nat Fyfe, who was ineligible for the Brownlow Medal after being suspended twice during the season, would have finished second with 25 votes. Priddis wasn't even selected for the 2014 All-Australian team. A monumental win for the midfielder, which is looking to be named the captain for the Eagles in 2015 after the retirement of Darren Glass. His stock will surely rise.

20t3t76.jpg

For people who don't know, the Brownlow Medal, named after former Geelong footballer Charlie Brownlow, is awarded to the "fairest and best" player in the Australian Football League during the home-and-away season, as determined by votes cast by the officiating field umpires after each game. It is the most prestigious award for individual players in the AFL. It is also widely acknowledged as the highest individual honour in the sport of Australian rules football.

So some build up news for the Grand Final: Simon Meredith, Matt Stevic and Mathew Nichols will umpire the 2014 Grand Final.

And for a nice mouth-watering buildup for this year's Grand Final, the 2012 Grand Final in it's entirety when these two giants met before in the title game

A little montage done by Fox Footy prior to the start of the 2013 AFL Premiership highlighting the 2012 Grand Final, definitely moving for sure!

Archived