Photoshop Advice Megathread

Darth Brooks

Many thanks for this great thread Darth Brooks. This is really helpful!

Last year I was looking for something like this and stumbled over the Davidson templates and used them - trying to find out how they work. Poor thing that your thread wasn't up by that time. ;) One thing that he has got in his templates that you have not talked about are two more layers with a greyscale uniform that utilizes "Overlay" (hope that this really is in the english photoshop version). I think that those are used to retain the original color. When you use multiply and screen there comes in the shadowing and there come in the highlights. Sometimes the original color gets lost a bit. At least that is what I feel about it. By adding an "overlay" layer the original color seems to be conserved a bit better and the showed areas have more depth.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

grizzlies_jersey_gold_without_zps611567fgrizzlies_jersey_gold_with_zpsf29fdca2.j

scr_mul_ove_zps24b478f8.jpg

When you have that Overlay layer in it, the Multiply layer can be a bit brighter.

All the best wishes

Daniel

That does work. It seems to work better if that layer is more of a gray.

According to Wikipedia, this is the math behind it.

Overlay combines Multiply and Screen blend modes.[2] The parts of the top layer where base layer is light become lighter, the parts where the base layer is dark become darker. An overlay with the same picture looks like an S-curve.

f(a, = \begin{cases} 2 a b, &\mbox{if } a < 0.5 \\ 1 - 2 ( 1 - a ) ( 1 - b ), &\mbox{otherwise} \end{cases}
where a is the base layer value and b is the top layer value.

Depending on the value a of the base layer, one gets a linear interpolation between black (a=0), the top layer (a=0.5), and white (a=1).

This is the difference.

ykeJOlI.jpg

It works but I'm out of my league as far as being an expert at this point. I'm planning on add some bits to the template and this will be there.

• 3 weeks later...

I had planned on going through the steps again on this image.

3NQwihP.jpg

First step, masked off areas I didn't want to change.

xLHZIRN.jpg

Second began to erase/ cover areas with logos & numbers.

cKFniK2.jpg

Some of this was cloned from different areas, some painted in and some cloned from other images in the set.

I worked big - this is the actual size. When it's shrunk down, the change allows you to work with details that would be hard to master if you worked actual size.

BIWeTgZ.jpg

Next I made white and black masters using Levels and Curves (again, experimenting)

9flUyEm.jpg

JBqnkEL.jpg

I had to desaturated the charcoal black. Even though it was a black it still had color.

How did you erase the logos and numbers but still get it to where the background uniform color was the same?

fiowXOD.png

I have a question on how to complete the tutorial for the following image:

USA_AWAY_MOVE_detail.jpg?1396327724

I've some designs that I want to put on this image, but I just can't quite understand how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The main problem comes with the white and black master layers, creating them, and then adding colors to those so that the individual pieces (shirt, shorts, and socks) are different from the above image.

I've some designs that I want to put on this image, but I just can't quite understand how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The main problem comes with the white and black master layers, creating them, and then adding colors to those so that the individual pieces (shirt, shorts, and socks) are different from the above image.

What I do to create the master black, master grey and master white layers is use the channel mixer method detailed in the below tutorial. You can then use Darth_Brooks methods to set them as screen, multiply and overlay.

As your chosen image has 3 different colours on the shirt, you will have to do this separately for each colour segment and this may prove difficult to match up exactly.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

What I do to create the master black, master grey and master white layers is use the channel mixer method detailed in the below tutorial. You can then use Darth_Brooks methods to set them as screen, multiply and overlay.

As your chosen image has 3 different colours on the shirt, you will have to do this separately for each colour segment and this may prove difficult to match up exactly.

Oh my word. That makes it SO much easier.

For the gray overlay layer, if you set the red output to 50 in each channel you get a neutral gray color.

Oh my word. That makes it SO much easier.

For the gray overlay layer, if you set the red output to 50 in each channel you get a neutral gray color.

Ye, I tend to play about with the values again quite a bit once I am done.

My latest template was a soccer template for the ESCC contest on here hosted by Raysox. I used a jersey, shorts and socks from completely separate images which were all different colours originally. I waited until I had finished my first concept on the template before trying to match the black/grey/white layers for each element to each other and this seemed to help a lot.

I highly recommend this method. It may take a while to get used to but in the long run it will save you a ton of time. Especially when compared to using the hue/saturation slider method to achieve the same result.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Talk about timing, Marble21. I've been wondering how you did the Gareth Bale template...all the lighting and effects, etc. I'll be trying this out for sure. Thanks!

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I'm impressed but I didn't see any 3D-modeling steps - or how did you do that?

Other than that - I got the request for the jersey template that I made for my Memphis Grizzlies jersey presentations lately - so I cleaned it up and got a media fire account to share it. As I don't want it to send it exclusively - here it is for anyone who's interested…

This is the link to the psd-File: SND Basketball Jersey Template

This is what it looks like as a blank template:

SND_Basketball_Jersey_Template_zps2b0495

Reference appreciated.

atbw

Daniel

I'm impressed but I didn't see any 3D-modeling steps - or how did you do that?

I have the image of the 3d model saved on my pc. So took it from there. I also have an American footballer and a cricketer image which I might do at some time.

glory10.png

Hey guys ive been trying this colour change method and instead of coming out white it comes out a greay colour, do any of you know why that would be?

The channel mixer is altering your colors, but not your values.

In order to make grey look white you need to play with the levels. You will have to alter the shadow, highlight, and midtone values of the image to transform the image from grey to white.

There are a number of tutorials that can help with this.