Photoshop Advice Megathread

Darth Brooks

1sun.JPG

Working on image creation ... goal is to become a recognized expert in the humble art of electronic cut and paste.......

But I have a ways to go, I thought I could get some advice here. This image is from scratch - recreating one of the most breathtaking sight I've ever seen.  It was 4:55 a.m., and the sun hung like a giant cherry against a super smooth blanket of dove grey sky (f'ing phone battery was dead).  I've searched and searched, and indeed the discrete natures of the sun and its one color -- against the sky and its one color. Can't find anything like it.

PROBLEMS I SEE:  Greenery on edges too green for as dark as it is; pavement bad; perspective might be screwy; reflection of am/pm sign too light.. Somebody said it wasn't centered, but I think that's ok.

I'm using Photoshop Elements and - gulp - Paint. It's easy to maneuver with it I think.

1sun.bmp

wS7MJ6T.png

0lLpYkc.png

Gave it a mid-grey background - all the white behind it makes it hard to differentiate between colors and textures.

Other changes ,,,,,,,,, E-N-L-A-R-G-E-M-E-N-T

W-I-D-E-N-E-D the perspective on the street - both sides; lowered the height of the street-sky 'event horizon' one pixel; cleaned up the reflections of am/pm sign and lights on building.  

wS7MJ6T.png

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Help me with this one guys ....... is the following IRONY or PARADOX ?

You sign up on a Forum dedicated to creative design and  colorful logos and uniforms ... you notice a good number of the members are highly skilled and knowledgable in these areas, seem like many are professional draftsmen or graphic designers.  B U T .... when you post in a Photoshop thread hoping for a few tips, all you get are crickets. For almost TWO YEARS!

IRONY, PARADOX, or a pencil-neck running a thinly-veiled BITCHFEST ?

• Huh? 1

wS7MJ6T.png

10 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

Help me with this one guys ....... is the following IRONY or PARADOX ?

You sign up on a Forum dedicated to creative design and  colorful logos and uniforms ... you notice a good number of the members are highly skilled and knowledgable in these areas, seem like many are professional draftsmen or graphic designers.  B U T .... when you post in a Photoshop thread hoping for a few tips, all you get are crickets. For almost TWO YEARS!

IRONY, PARADOX, or a pencil-neck running a thinly-veiled BITCHFEST ?

If your topic isn't seen, it would be a paradox. If you aren't getting responses, look at who contributed and PM them directly. We aren't always going to be available due to other requirements away from this site. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/25/2014 at 11:35 PM, Darth Brooks said:

If you want a set of photos to practice with I suggest you look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65516705@N00/sets/72157641816748303/ It's a set of photos of the new Buccaneer uniforms and the photos are huge. In case I didn't say this, it really helps to work larger than what you want your final image to be. (It hides a lot of errors)

Also of note, when you complete your pictures, make sure they are resized so they can be used in certain programs. The below picture was originally almost 7500x7500 and couldn't be sent through Google Hangouts or Facebook Messenger. 

fjja20n.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! Love this thread. Just downloaded photoshop free trial for one week and will be trying this stuff out. However I was wondering if I should go for Photoshop or Illustrator? Perhaps both? I just want to make jerseys and sport logos. Currently I am just using paint.net and nba 2k so thats in no way near this complex. Id appreciate any help or suggestions.
Anyone got anymore tips and tricks? 

T

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

2 hours ago, Tore said:

Hi guys! Love this thread. Just downloaded photoshop free trial for one week and will be trying this stuff out. However I was wondering if I should go for Photoshop or Illustrator? Perhaps both? I just want to make jerseys and sport logos. Currently I am just using paint.net and nba 2k so thats in no way near this complex. Id appreciate any help or suggestions.
Anyone got anymore tips and tricks? 

T

If you only intend to design uniforms with premade logos, just use Photoshop. If you want to design logos I'd suggest using both. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 2:54 PM, rareartworks said:

youtube tut? i wanna make my own basketball uniforms .Please?

GREAT IDEA ....

I'm thinking as a competition ... users design all-original logo and uniforms for a team, and everybody votes (various categories).....??

wS7MJ6T.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 12:53 AM, BroncoBuff said:

GREAT IDEA ....

I'm thinking as a competition ... users design all-original logo and uniforms for a team, and everybody votes (various categories).....??

That happens during the Logolympiad. Keep your eyes open. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 year later...

spacer.png

There's lots of professionals on this site, so I'm hoping for some lessons (or at least tips) on Photoshop-ing.

This is just a photo of the Saint Monica statue in Santa Monica California - (where Wilshire Blvd ends at Ocean Blvd.)

I "style-ized" the photo into a Windows desktop image (tinted the left quarter for desktop icons)

Of course everything from the original photo is scrubbed and cleaned - then "style-ized" - the grass, the sand, the fence, the water, the clouds. Not sure what kind of advice I'm looking for on this one. I hyper-contrasted the original photo too (obviously). 

..............spacer.png

spacer.png   

Good example here of something I could use help with:  Truly INCREDIBLE photo (original above), but I wanted Tom Osborne CENTERED in the shot. So I expanded the left margin, then created additional "content" to fill that expansion:

1) Mostly drew in the Buffalo-handler on the left side, then blurred (and blurred and blurred)

2) #26 Cornhusker - the arm and shoulder on the left is a flipped image of the other arm 

3) #8x behind #26 is a flipped image of #89 between Osborne and #26 in the original - changed the jersey number, facemask, face, mouthguard, collar.

Looks pretty good, but it could be better - especially the Buffalo handler.

GIVE ME SOME CLUES, PLEASE.

wS7MJ6T.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just a collection of old uniforms to prove to the youngsters that 40 years ago, not every team was either Navy Blue or Black!

Not sure what kind of advice I'm looking for here ... the two images are the same, except in the lower one I enlarged Elway and super-imposed his helmet on the upper row. Don't much care for the look of that here, but expanding heads and arms outside the image boundaries worked well on the Nuggets thing above.

wS7MJ6T.png

spacer.png

Nuggets logo and uniform history (from two years ago obviously).  Dunno what advice I'm looking for here ... the hardest part was wiping away other players in the shots - Alex English good example. Almost that entire background was imported to cover over other players. OHHH!!! Had to draw in Antonio McDyess's (#24) right arm and left hand ... that's HORRIBLE! Looks like I used the Crayola crayon 8-pack box ☺️

spacer.png

Ok, THIS I could use real help on. It's so hard to reduce the size of images and still keep some quality ... this thing raised a very specific problem: The fingerboards of the guitars - the taper slightly narrower as you do up from the body of the guitar to the headstock.  Problem is, with such small images, the taper narrows pixel by pixel, and each one is VERY noticeable. It's jarring. If you look close you'll see what I mean. Don't know what I can do to smooth out this kind of problem.  I tried editing a large image, then reducing it's size ... but reducing has problems all it's own of course.

wS7MJ6T.png

On 7/20/2018 at 7:22 AM, MJWalker45 said:

If your topic isn't seen, it would be a paradox. If you aren't getting responses, look at who contributed and PM them directly. We aren't always going to be available due to other requirements away from this site. 

Of course, please don't take me too seriously.

Darth Brooks posted did post some very interesting, in-depth topics on the first couple pages ... but now it's been FOUR years since I first posted in here. I'm not ENTITLED to any one-on-one lessons, I know that. But there are some very talented people here ... hell, I'd be happy with a quick drive-by and a sentence or two from them.

It's not just this site, I posted some of these same images on another site's "Photoshop help" thread ... in 6 months all I got was ONE post, with just ONE word: "Rasterize." I looked up its meaning, it had something to do with bitmap images. But I'm still not sure what it meant. 

wS7MJ6T.png

18 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Of course, please don't take me too seriously.

Darth Brooks posted did post some very interesting, in-depth topics on the first couple pages ... but now it's been FOUR years since I first posted in here. I'm not ENTITLED to any one-on-one lessons, I know that. But there are some very talented people here ... hell, I'd be happy with a quick drive-by and a sentence or two from them.

It's not just this site, I posted some of these same images on another site's "Photoshop help" thread ... in 6 months all I got was ONE post, with just ONE word: "Rasterize." I looked up its meaning, it had something to do with bitmap images. But I'm still not sure what it meant. 

Why respond to a post from 2 years ago. At this point we don’t even know what you want anymore