World License Plate redesign *Caithness and Manitoula*

1clkgtramg

Not to nitpick, but the black and white star plates are not the official Texas plates:

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates

A lot of motorists here have the b/w star (including me), but they come from myplates.com not the DPS.

Otherwise, fine work. I really like a lot of your ideas.

Wasn't sure about that so thanks for clarification. I went to see if I can buy one without being American and the cost was like $400 so I figured it was real to some degree. I know it is common whatever it was so I figured I would use it as an option.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13366803943_31c493d854_n.jpg13366730145_d95867e0c8_n.jpg13367105654_761e0de4cc_n.jpg

Nothing too different of fancy for New Mexico. I kept the Burgundy Zian Sun in the centre and I sublimated the pattern that the previous ones used. I wanted to use more of the blue because Gold, Burgundy and Light Blue are a very unique colour combination to New Mexico and this way it treats all colours equally. For the custom plate, the Sun gets sublimated much like the patterns along the "Land of Enchantment" and "NEW MEXICO" script. I know it may seem hard to read up close, but the farther you are, the easier it is to read.

I have tried to stay away from redoing Bicentennial/Centennial plates because most just use Red, White and Blue - although most of them are quite nice, I'm going for uniqueness. New Mexico was the exception. Before I even knew about their current Blue plate, I wanted to make one, so I just kept it. Although very similar to the normal Gold plate, this one has no patterns along the words, instead, the pattern is placed inside the Burgundy circle on the Zian Sun. That being said, there is no custom plates for the alternate one, unless it is 000 AAA or something in that form.
Nothing too special on these ones, the colours do the work for it.

13366758565_7c5f29b5ee_n.jpg13367135184_a2c81787bd_n.jpg

Love the New Mexico plates! Especially the sublimated pattern on the yellow plates. However, I'd make the state name larger on the plates. Just a bit small, in my opinion...

Thanks guys

I made the "NEW MEXICO" a slight bit larger, should be enough now. I dont want it too big then the character and Sun placement will look asymmetric.

Not to be THAT GUY, but I can't wait to see what you do with Wisconsin since we're so overdue for a redesign. Just make sure you remember that there's cities in Wisconsin too and don't go overboard with agrarian imagery... that's what killed our last proposed redesign, and why we're still using the same basic tags that we did in the 80s.

Not to be THAT GUY, but I can't wait to see what you do with Wisconsin since we're so overdue for a redesign. Just make sure you remember that there's cities in Wisconsin too and don't go overboard with agrarian imagery... that's what killed our last proposed redesign, and why we're still using the same basic tags that we did in the 80s.

There is nothing wrong with being "That Guy" especially if he gives me suggestions haha. I kinda like the current look since they have used it since 1987. I'm kinda leaning towards Red and White, or Light Blue, White and Brown like the "Welcome to Wisconsin" signs - if I am changing it.

320px-Wisconsin_welcome_sign.JPG

could also touch on the big 6 ancestry groups that settled in Wisconsin.

I was thinking of a subtle nod to the breweries and festivals by using a Hop as the divider. My only worry is that some may take it the wrong way by saying they are alcoholics or something. I would want to keep America's Dairyland as the slogan though. But this is why I have a max of 2 plates per state.

Let me know your thoughts; plenty of states to go until I get to Wisconsin.

There is nothing wrong with being "That Guy" especially if he gives me suggestions haha. I kinda like the current look since they have used it since 1987. I'm kinda leaning towards Red and White, or Light Blue, White and Brown like the "Welcome to Wisconsin" signs - if I am changing it.

I was thinking of a subtle nod to the breweries and festivals by using a Hop as the divider. My only worry is that some may take it the wrong way by saying they are alcoholics or something. I would want to keep America's Dairyland as the slogan though. But this is why I have a max of 2 plates per state.

I have to say I'm not a fan of "America's Dairyland." It was added to our tags at a time when Wisconsin didn't have much in the way of urbanity... Milwaukee was crumbling, and Madison was just a smallish town with a university. Now that Milwaukee has become a poster child for urban renewal in the Rust Belt, and Madison is becoming a regional city in its own right, that's no longer the case. Wisconsin's official motto is "Forward" which could lend itself to a forward-facing triangle as the divider if you wanted to avoid using a hop. Barring that, The Dairy State > America's Dairyland

Granted, you're probably right that some would gripe about a hop being used for Wisconsin, but I can also promise that it'd go over well with most residents. If anything, it'd be the politicians who don't want to be interpreted as endorsing drunk driving who'd do the most complaining.

As far as colors... for a long time Wisconsin had plain golden-yellow tags with black dies. As a proud UWM Panther, I obviously approve of such a scheme; but if you want something that would read more "Wisconsin-y," you could replace the black with Packers green. Your proposal of brown, sky blue and white sounds interesting though. I've often lamented at how few sports teams use those as their colors.

Lastly, here's my "polishing a turd" fix of the current tags that I did a few years back. I was mainly trying to prove that acknowledging Wisconsin's rural and urban aspects didn't have to be an either-or proposition. But I'd rather the current design be scrapped altogether; except for maybe the wordmark, which doesn't seem terribly dated compared to some of the ones I've seen on other states' tags.

wis_plate.png

EDIT: For what it's worth, this is what Wisconsin's driver's licenses look like now. They replaced the old ones, which were based on the license plates.

spring-2012-driver-license-regular.jpg

EDIT 2.0: This is what Wisconsin's state highway signs look like. It could also make for a divider that'd be immediately recognizable to Wisconsin residents.

m1-5_WI_s-2.gif

I have to say I'm not a fan of "America's Dairyland." It was added to our tags at a time when Wisconsin didn't have much in the way of urbanity... Milwaukee was crumbling, and Madison was just a smallish town with a university. Now that Milwaukee has become a poster child for urban renewal in the Rust Belt, and Madison is becoming a regional city in its own right, that's no longer the case. Wisconsin's official motto is "Forward" which could lend itself to a forward-facing triangle as the divider if you wanted to avoid using a hop. Barring that, The Dairy State > America's Dairyland

Granted, you're probably right that some would gripe about a hop being used for Wisconsin, but I can also promise that it'd go over well with most residents. If anything, it'd be the politicians who don't want to be interpreted as endorsing drunk driving who'd do the most complaining.

As far as colors... for a long time Wisconsin had plain golden-yellow tags with black dies. As a proud UWM Panther, I obviously approve of such a scheme; but if you want something that would read more "Wisconsin-y," you could replace the black with Packers green. Your proposal of brown, sky blue and white sounds interesting though. I've often lamented at how few sports teams use those as their colors.

Lastly, here's my "polishing a turd" fix of the current tags that I did a few years back. I was mainly trying to prove that acknowledging Wisconsin's rural and urban aspects didn't have to be an either-or proposition. But I'd rather the current design be scrapped altogether; except for maybe the wordmark, which doesn't seem terribly dated compared to some of the ones I've seen on other states' tags.

wis_plate.png

EDIT: For what it's worth, this is what Wisconsin's driver's licenses look like now. They replaced the old ones, which were based on the license plates.

spring-2012-driver-license-regular.jpg

EDIT 2.0: This is what Wisconsin's state highway signs look like. It could also make for a divider that'd be immediately recognizable to Wisconsin residents.

m1-5_WI_s-2.gif

These are all great ideas, I will take these into consideration for sure!

13364081294_5479982728_n.jpg13363855723_da1e14a6d4_n.jpg13363710535_f2e90247cc_n.jpg

For Arizona, I wanted to make a less literal sense of Arizona. This Dark Red and Sand coloured plate should do just that. There is a simple native pattern on the bottom and a cactus as a divider - which like Ontario, is mandatory even on personalized plates, thus making them max 7 characters.

The font is the same for both plates. It is a modern font, but I really liked the way it turned out so I kept it.

For the Alternate plate, I remade the current Sunrise one. The Dark Eggplant colour is now more of a Plum colour - there was really no reason, I just felt the colours looked better. The placement for the "Grand Canyon State" was moved from the middle right to the bottom. Other than that, it is pretty much the same.

13364080994_0964cafaf6_n.jpg13363710225_52e9a4959f_n.jpg13364081384_2ca1a31a94_n.jpg

13389567065_2d1b8a4660_n.jpg13389918534_fb4c19e7ba_n.jpg13389695193_f360a5f661_n.jpg

Since nothing has really changed for Utah, I'll post this one as well. I made the "Utah" logo one colour and put the slogan right underneath. At the bottom is the State Song but it sounds like a welcoming message as well - its better than "Ski Utah" in my opinion. I just solidified the colours of the Delicate Arch hoping that the characters wouldnt blend with it. (remember the characters are embossed so its easier to read). Yes, I have an issue with making the state shape the divider; get used to it, there are more haha.

I completely scraped the ski plate because to me, it's a little contradicting to have a Desert motif and then a Snow motif to represent the state. When I think Utah, I think Salt Flats, Desert, Mountains that boarder Colorado. The whole Ski Utah! thing seemed like advertising to say "Hey, Colorado isnt the only one with ski resorts!"

I have completed up to California so far so from there we are heading East. I'm currently working on Louisiana. I want to make 2 plates, one being a Mardi Gras colour scheme. I know its overused, but Louisiana's Lipstick plates are horrible and I want to start fresh. Let me know!

Also if you want a personalized plate of one I made, send me a message. The plates are 3600x1775 so they are much larger than any other image you can get.

Great work on the Utah and Arizona plates. I'm a fan of the alternate AZ plate and loving the sublimated picture in the background. Looking forward to the rest of the series. I would love to get a personalized plate but can't decide which one When are releasing Alaska's and Hawai'i?

Great work on the Utah and Arizona plates. I'm a fan of the alternate AZ plate and loving the sublimated picture in the background. Looking forward to the rest of the series. I would love to get a personalized plate but can't decide which one When are releasing Alaska's and Hawai'i?

Alaska, Hawaii and PR will be made after I finish the east. I already have an idea for Hawaii and Alaska, they will be somewhat similar to the current ones... Maybe I'll make it soon

Utah's motto is "This is the place" LOL

Anyway keep up the great work really enjoying this series

Actually their motto is "Industry". As I mentioned in the captions, I chose "This Is the Place" because it had a more welcoming feel than simply "Beehive State" or "Life Elevated". It is also the title of the fairly new State Song so it is also comforting for Utahans as well as visitors.

13407355594_00a16dd913_n.jpg13406997475_dc0080abcf_n.jpg13407355834_c688d9ff9f_n.jpg

I know I'm probably not going to get a good response from this one but after hours of no ideas, I came to this design and I really like it. There is a current special plate that says "Wild and Free" at the bottom and from certain angles, it looks Purple and Blue so I basically based it from that. I wanted to touch on the Las Vegas scene without straying from the rest of the state. I think the colours are vibrant enough to give off that nightlife feel, but could also represent the numerous Conspiracy Theories that have occurred in the state. I used silver script because its the Silver State. The Sagebrush logo from the flag appears in the bottom left. The state shade is used to divide "The Silver State" and "www.n v.gov". And just above that is a sublimation of "BATTLE BORN" which appears on their flag and is also one of their nicknames due to them becoming a state during the civil war.

The current plate looks horrible in my opinion. There are mountains, the Sierra-Nevada Mountains to be exact, however those mountains are barely in the state. I understand that you can see them from the state, but it's kinda stupid to have a Californian icon on your license plate.

Archived