Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the longest time I've wanted Illinois to reembrace the old school football theme. Here's to hoping this rebrand is successful in that approach and not a compromise.

That would be great. However, I'm guessing we're getting Nike presents a Nike production of Nike's Fighting Illini, starring Nike, in which the Illini honor their past championships by wearing something that doesn't at all resemble anything they've previously worn. I don't think it will be ultra modern. I think it will be overly bland, but with poor color use and some cluster:censored: font like Minnesota's. Oh, and gray. Lots of gray for no reason.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The next 27 days are going to seem like an eternity. I'm confident the rebrand won't be screwed up since I'm pretty sure a member of this message board is involved.

Source?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

The next 27 days are going to seem like an eternity. I'm confident the rebrand won't be screwed up since I'm pretty sure a member of this message board is involved.

Source?

Someone posted concepts on here and Illini message boards, and he works for the University. His concepts were photographed by recruits, as they showed the recruits sketches and even helmets made up with his designs, saying "we might wear something like this in the future." Still, the university was involved, but I'm guessing Nike has a lot more to do with it than the University team does.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

For the 8 millionth time, Nike produces what the school signs off on. If you hate it, blame Illinois, not Nike.

For the 8 millionth time, cool. Nowhere did I say that Nike will be holding a gun to the school's collective heads and force them to chance. I merely said that Nike's design will almost certainly focus on highlighting Nike and its modern design trends far more than it does any tradition the school has. Nike's "honoring history" is putting a ghosted sketch of some campus building on the back of a crappy templated basketball jersey with no cuffs. But yes, the schools have signed off on that.

I meant specifically that the school contacted Nike because they wanted this to be a Nike rebrand. So I imagine Nike's design team had far more to do with this design than the school's in-house team did, considering the in-house team could have done a rebrand themselves without even involving Nike at all.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm pretty scared about what's going to be unveiled next month. But that video was really encouraging. I just hope they don't go with something modern then say "Hey, there's subliminal columns in the numbers, we're respecting the history!" There was also a tweet a couple days ago that said they were emphasizing the "Fighting" in Fighting Illini which I think is probably the best route to take to give them some kind of identity other than one of the most boring letters to work with. If this unveiling is open to the public, you can guarantee that I'll be there.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

For the 8 millionth time, Nike produces what the school signs off on. If you hate it, blame Illinois, not Nike.

Conversely, the school can only sign off on what Nike gives them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not optimistic about this re-brand. Part of me is just nervous because I've wanted this for such a long time, and I used to think I'd be involved. But when I was there, the pleas for a brand re-organization fell on deaf ears. Any thing less than great will be really upsetting.

And now that it's happening, I think I go back to those deaf ears. I don't trust that the right people were involved in this. I think there were still resources at Illinois who would have been perfect to work with Nike and guide them in this process, and I don't trust that happened.

And on that note, I'm under the impression our member here who is still with Illinois was not involved. So whatever is unveiled is NOT a reflection on him positively or negatively.

On a design note based on what we've seen in that teaser and in the Memorial Stadium, it appears Frutiger is at least one of the fonts involved. I'm not sure Nike would use that as the primary font, but even having it in the package isn't a particularly encouraging sign.

Fingers crossed, but I'm ready for disappointment.

I'm not optimistic about this re-brand. Part of me is just nervous because I've wanted this for such a long time, and I used to think I'd be involved. But when I was there, the pleas for a brand re-organization fell on deaf ears. Any thing less than great will be really upsetting.

And now that it's happening, I think I go back to those deaf ears. I don't trust that the right people were involved in this. I think there were still resources at Illinois who would have been perfect to work with Nike and guide them in this process, and I don't trust that happened.

And on that note, I'm under the impression our member here who is still with Illinois was not involved. So whatever is unveiled is NOT a reflection on him positively or negatively.

On a design note based on what we've seen in that teaser and in the Memorial Stadium, it appears Frutiger is at least one of the fonts involved. I'm not sure Nike would use that as the primary font, but even having it in the package isn't a particularly encouraging sign.

Fingers crossed, but I'm ready for disappointment.

That's the font used for the numbers on the field and on the press box now, right? I kind of like that and think it would fit if they're indeed going with a military theme.

This is 100% a gut feeling, but I don't think he was involved in the process either. I just don't see Nike using a school's in-house designer on a project like this.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I was hoping he would be involved since it seemed like his concepts were what got the ball rolling on the rebrand. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

This is 100% a gut feeling, but I don't think he was involved in the process either. I just don't see Nike using a school's in-house designer on a project like this.

I didn't think he would be the lead designer, but I assumed the people in the school's design department would have some input.

I didn't think he would be the lead designer, but I assumed the people in the school's design department would have some input.

I don't think it's really up to Nike who gets used, I think it's up to the school. And in this case, the athletic department rarely seemed to grasp the value of good design. They'd appreciate when it was created, but rarely really empowered the designers to do more.

When you have talented designers who know and appreciate the schools history, it seems unfathomable to me that you wouldn't make them part of the process of a major re-brand (especially when the best Nike re-brands tend to come with that kind of guidance), but I fear that's what happened here.

The results of this re-brand will be on Nike and the administration that worked with them. Not any in-house designers that were shutout of the process.

I really hope Nike comes through, but I can't hide my pessimism.

I have to agree. I am hoping for the best but honestly expecting the worst. I think Illinois has something very identifiable in the zigzag pattern the basketball team uses and I would love to see that become Illinois' trademark so to speak. Is anyone else expecting a logo-less orange helmet, possibly with numbers and the stars like the Butkus uniforms? That was just my initial thought.

Anyway, I am terrified we will get some crappy patterned numbers in a font with some random corners tacked back on and jerseys with contrasting sleeves, a grey one too, and 3 helmets. Is it too much to ask for one orange helmet, a blue jersey and a white jersey with a conservative block font (or the one the basketball team uses, I like it), and blue and orange pants? I'm rambling but that's just because I'm terrified of what might come of this.

Archived