Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

We dont have the infrastructure (proper sized football specific stadiums) to host a World Cup. We can host the 2015 Womens World Cup because of the size of the tournament. Most games are played in Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton. A World Cup should showcase the entire country not just pockets. I would love to see it here but doubt it for 1

2018 or 2022. The CSA is planning on bidding for the 2026 World Cup. That annoucement was made in February. They better start building football specific stadiums with 40,000+ capacity now even to be looked at.

When I said US/Canada, I meant both the United States and Canada. While I'd prefer for it to be US only, it wouldn't surprise me if they did a duel world-cup setting.

I guess it's more likely that they just remain in the US though.

A group could be held in Montreal and Toronto.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

If one of the major concerns about Qatar is the heat, what was the average temperature for the South African World Cup games? I know South Africa is a coastal nation, but at the same time it's in Africa. It's hot there.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I know South Africa is a coastal nation, but at the same time it's in Africa. It's hot there.

Um, Africa is a very large place with many different climates.

South Africa, due to a combination of ocean wind currents and elevation, is actually rather mild. Rare to spend much time above 90 degrees F.

But that's in the summer. The World Cup was held in June, which is the Southern Hemisphere's winter. So this was the average temperature in the various host cities:

wc_climate4.jpg

That's beautiful soccer weather.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If it has to be held in the winter, then it'll have to be held at the end of 2022 because of the 2022 Winter Olympics in February. If they held it, say November 17 through December 17, 2022, it might work out. The European leagues would have to start their seasons more than a month earlier (say, mid-July) to compensate for the lengthy international break, but with no World Cup that summer the early start would be welcome by European football fans, I'd imagine.

25yzwqg.png

If it has to be held in the winter, then it'll have to be held at the end of 2022 because of the 2022 Winter Olympics in February. If they held it, say November 17 through December 17, 2022, it might work out. The European leagues would have to start their seasons more than a month earlier (say, mid-July) to compensate for the lengthy international break, but with no World Cup that summer the early start would be welcome by European football fans, I'd imagine.

Could work, but that would mean a shortened offseason, which I doubt players would be in favor of.

Could work, but that would mean a shortened offseason, which I doubt players would be in favor of.

Their offseason would have been occupied anyways by the June-July World Cup.

25yzwqg.png

We dont have the infrastructure (proper sized football specific stadiums) to host a World Cup. We can host the 2015 Womens World Cup because of the size of the tournament. Most games are played in Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton. A World Cup should showcase the entire country not just pockets. I would love to see it here but doubt it for 1

2018 or 2022. The CSA is planning on bidding for the 2026 World Cup. That annoucement was made in February. They better start building football specific stadiums with 40,000+ capacity now even to be looked at.

Actually, for some strange reason, the woman's world cup is not going to have games in Toronto. It will be Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa and, Moncton.

I also feel Canada could easily host a world cup. Yes, there would be some serious work needed but between 2 venues in Montreal and Toronto and all the new CFL stadiums being built I think we'd be covered. Remember, all the stadiums used in the 1994 world cup in the USA were all "pointy ball" football stadiums.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

When I said US/Canada, I meant both the United States and Canada. While I'd prefer for it to be US only, it wouldn't surprise me if they did a duel world-cup setting.

I guess it's more likely that they just remain in the US though.

FIFA won't accept dual bids anymore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually, for some strange reason, the woman's world cup is not going to have games in Toronto. It will be Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa and, Moncton.

I also feel Canada could easily host a world cup. Yes, there would be some serious work needed but between 2 venues in Montreal and Toronto and all the new CFL stadiums being built I think we'd be covered. Remember, all the stadiums used in the 1994 world cup in the USA were all "pointy ball" football stadiums.

Is there the political will to build enough stadiums with 40,000+ seating capacity for an expanded World Cup?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Isn't the upgrades for BMO starting in 2015?

Yup. you are right VictoriaGooner.

But that will leave plenty of time for the 2026 bid. If you mean to take over for a potential moving of the Qatar world cup, you are spot on. Canada won't be ready. The stadium won't be ready but more importantly, Canada's national team is at the end of a cycle of players who (though not amazing...we almost got to the hex) were at a peak. We are going through a rebuilding and it will take time to have a team that won't just embarrass itself at a world cup.

Rams, I have been under the impression that Victor Montagliani (CSA President) is very much willing to spend to get a world cup in Canada. From what has been reported Soccer Canada, after the referendum a couple years ago, has been very focused on bringing big events to Canada to promote growing the sport.

That said, how many 40 thousand plus stadiums do you need?

BMO, Roger's Centre, Olympic Stadium, BC place, Commonwealth Stadium and, McMahon stadium (with the expandable seating) are all 40 thousand plus stadiums.

I'm pretty sure that the rest coming in at 30 thousand will do fine. The exception being the Moncton stadium, it's expandable to 20,000 right now. That said I've heard it is essentially just risers so I can't see it being a huge issue to just add more seating. So in terms of spending money, Olympic stadium would need work (at the very least bringing in a field that would be FIFA approved) and expanding Moncton's stadium.

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

FIFA wants 40,000 minimum per stadium. And its making noises about having a 40 (or more) team field in future World Cups. So at least 10 stadia with 40,000 seats.

So if you want to go through with this, you might want to tell Canadian municipal governments to prepare their collective anuses.

Today, we are all otaku.

I know South Africa is a coastal nation, but at the same time it's in Africa. It's hot there.

South Africa, due to a combination of ocean wind currents and elevation, is actually rather mild. Rare to spend much time above 90 degrees F.

But that's in the summer. The World Cup was held in June, which is the Southern Hemisphere's winter. So this was the average temperature in the various host cities:

wc_climate4.jpg

Wasn't it winter during the actual tournament?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

wc_climate4.jpg

Wasn't it winter during the actual tournament?
Did you not even read the post that you quoted?

But think of the home-pitch advantage when we play in Tuktoyaktuk!

But think of the home-pitch advantage when we play in Tuktoyaktuk!

Who needs a 40k+ mega arena when you can have two Inuits and a seal watching Brazil-Spain? Tell FIFA that you won't have to deal with the sun and heat, they'll go for it.