Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

Plot Twist: Qatar's arab billionares invent a giant overhang that captures the entire country of Qatar. Qatar's government forces millions of Saudi Arabian slaves to build this giant contraption with extremely low pay. The same billionares funding the war in Afghanistan of the Al-Queida.

Plot Twist: Qatar's arab billionares invent a giant overhang that captures the entire country of Qatar. Qatar's government forces millions of Saudi Arabian slaves to build this giant contraption with extremely low pay. The same billionares funding the war in Afghanistan of the Al-Queida.

Conspiracy theorist you are? LOL :P

When it was first announced, I would've loved to see it go to Qatar just because they had new shiny stadium plans. But then all the curruption and stuff will be a huge black eye for the tournament before a game is even played.

That being said, if it does get moved to another country, oh god please let it be the US. I want to go to a World Cup and that'd make it easier on everyone involved(just me)

Also Toronto isn't hosting a women's World Cup game because of the Commonwealth Games. I was reading about it a few weeks ago on the Wikipedia page.

Our existing infrastructure for hosting soccer is incomparable, but man, think of the perception of the Great Satan "heroically rescuing" (stealing) a showcase event from the Arab world. The security needed to make sure some ululating nutbars don't blow up the L.A. Coliseum will make the Super Bowl look like playing in the backyard.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Our existing infrastructure for hosting soccer is incomparable, but man, think of the perception of the Great Satan "heroically rescuing" (stealing) a showcase event from the Arab world. The security needed to make sure some ululating nutbars don't blow up the L.A. Coliseum will make the Super Bowl look like playing in the backyard.

Lets say the decision to move the World cup happens in 2016. Do you think that the nut-jobs over there will really be 'seeking revenge' for a World Cup that was supposed to be there's 6 years ago? I don't think that'll be the case.

However, security will be vastly improved compared to this years Super bowl regardless. It's a scary thought but by 2022, who knows what the world will be like? I can only imagine that security for these kind of events will be increased like crazy. Especially with the world cup, a game watched all over the world. The World Cup is already an event that is "ripe" (not sure this is the right word to use) for something like that to happen. But I don't think that what you stated would be a reason for increased security. It's a good thought, but I am not sure the mindset would still be there if it had been taken away so long ago.

• Like 1

Lets say the decision to move the World cup happens in 2016. Do you think that the nut-jobs over there will really be 'seeking revenge' for a World Cup that was supposed to be there's 6 years ago? I don't think that'll be the case.

However, security will be vastly improved compared to this years Super bowl regardless. It's a scary thought but by 2022, who knows what the world will be like? I can only imagine that security for these kind of events will be increased like crazy. Especially with the world cup, a game watched all over the world. The World Cup is already an event that is "ripe" (not sure this is the right word to use) for something like that to happen. But I don't think that what you stated would be a reason for increased security. It's a good thought, but I am not sure the mindset would still be there if it had been taken away so long ago.

2022 is eight years away. Did any one of us in 2006, eight years ago from this point, imagine the world we would live in today?

Did any one of us on these boards in 2006 think about smartphones, apps, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, the collapse of the housing industry, an Afro-American president, the Tea Party and Occupy movements, Obamacare, the rise of China and India, the revival and subsequent death of the Lakers and Celtics, the Winter Classic, Stanley Cups in Chicago, Boston and Southern California, Roger Goodell's corporization of the Super Bowl logo and safety rules and many, many more stuff that has happened in this world since 2006?

Maybe the world in 2022 will be better, maybe worse than right now. Maybe the technology riped-up Qatar's ass from their World Cup bid will come true. Maybe hoverboards will be a thing. Maybe flying cars will move from fantasy to prototype. Maybe the Cubs will make the World Series. Who knows? But I wouldn't call it a "scary" thing to look into the future in the next eight years.

crystal clear air-conditioned force fields that can be deployed over and around the stadiums would be more likely than the Cubs making the world series by then.

Actually, crystal clear force fields that could block rain would be an amazing invention for sports (well, life in general.) Can one of you science nerds start working on that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not to worry. They'd just move it to the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.

This is a really awesome joke if you know your Wrestlemania history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

FWIW, Twitter was launched in 2006. :)

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• 2 months later...

Is it me or does the $5 million dollar amount actually seem...small? I mean, I understand that it was the African countries but, I mean, these are Arabic royalty with oil money regarding one of the largest sports event, if not THE largest, in the world; you'd think you could get them up to nine-digit figures or something.

Hell, if $5 million is all it takes, I'm surprised America doesn't just come rolling with the dough the next time around.

• Like 1

GR30a5H.png

Is it me or does the $5 million dollar amount actually seem...small? I mean, I understand that it was the African countries but, I mean, these are Arabic royalty with oil money regarding one of the largest sports event, if not THE largest, in the world; you'd think you could get them up to nine-digit figures or something.

Hell, if $5 million is all it takes, I'm surprised America doesn't just come rolling with the dough the next time around.

It is a little bit of "inflation" from the money the USA spent to get the 1996 and 2002 Olympics. We were paying college tuition, getting tickets to the Super Bowl and The Oscars in addition to cash.

As for the USA just outspending the other bidders, Eddie Snowden gave the rest of the world issues to worry about regarding how we monitor everyone in terms of surveillance. That's kind of an issue for those whose world revolves around seediness.

It is a little bit of "inflation" from the money the USA spent to get the 1996 and 2002 Olympics. We were paying college tuition, getting tickets to the Super Bowl and The Oscars in addition to cash.

As for the USA just outspending the other bidders, Eddie Snowden gave the rest of the world issues to worry about regarding how we monitor everyone in terms of surveillance. That's kind of an issue for those whose world revolves around seediness.

Snowden's relevant in the bidding for international events. We're not exactly popular in a decent chunk of the world.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Please don't throw in your political remarks to something fairly irrelevant to the topic. Especially when they're about as off-base as they can get.

No, Snowden's relevant in the bidding for international events. We're not exactly popular in a decent chunk of the world.

If human rights were considered when choosing a home nation, Qatar would've never won the initial bid in the first place. All that matters is the money in this situation. There's no rational reason behind choosing Qatar in terms of safety. Why should we assume Snowdens leak would have any form of impact on a World Cup bid selection if a country like Qatar had been picked?

It's all about the ability to move money and use power, and the United States can do that. I can't imagine Snowdens leaks will have any sort of impact on the ineffective bid committee that comes with World Cup politics.

I get the feeling many people (not just here, but everywhere) figure if there is a revote that the US is a lock to get the 2022 World Cup.

To me, the odds of that happening are 20%. There is no way FIFA doesn't take this opportunity to revote and confirm that they made the "right" choice in Qatar. Yes Sepp Blatter has said it was a mistake but I just think the chances of them changing the location are unlikely.