Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

Platini is worse than Blatter. He opposes the use of goal-line technology.

Yes, but at least he doesn't want players to die in the Qatari heat or completely :censored: the major leagues by hosting the World Cup in the middle of the summer.
Actually, Platini is one of the biggest supporters of the Qatar bid, while Sepp wanted to have the WC in the US.

What.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, but at least he doesn't want players to die in the Qatari heat or completely :censored: the major leagues by hosting the World Cup in the middle of the summer.
Actually, Platini is one of the biggest supporters of the Qatar bid, while Sepp wanted to have the WC in the US.
What.
Here's an article that cites it in passing, I couldn't find a better one

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/sepp-blatter-qatar-2022-world-cup-mistake

07Giants.pngnyy.png

If Blatter gets a majority of the African vote then he will still be Fifa President unfortunately. He also stated back in January that Australia deserve a World Cup so is obviously trying to get the votes from the Asian and Oceania regions to strengthen his grip for another term.

glory10.png

As much as I hate the idea of a November/December World Cup I think this might be the kick in the pants the UEFA big boys need. Maybe now they'll learn to play nice and read the reports from the bid committee's instead of looking for the shiniest one. And since the standard compensation that FIFA pays to teams will not be put into force for this tournament I think we may see a lot of "retirements" if players are not in agreement with playing at that time. I also think the UEFA countries may adopt the MLS model of taking a break for the group stage and then jumping back into league play. Thus FIFA handing the World Cup rights to 2026 early without bidding on them. Amazingly, this is getting a lot of press but the issues with Russia's stadium delays are hardly discussed in the US. They are cutting out stadiums and reporting delays that may continue right up until the Confederations Cup.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What.
Here's an article that cites it in passing, I couldn't find a better one

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/sepp-blatter-qatar-2022-world-cup-mistake

Well goddamn. The only way this doesn't happen is if Qatar sinks into the Persian gulf.

And even then they'd just move it to Bahrain.

spacer.png

As much as I hate the idea of a November/December World Cup I think this might be the kick in the pants the UEFA big boys need. Maybe now they'll learn to play nice and read the reports from the bid committee's instead of looking for the shiniest one. And since the standard compensation that FIFA pays to teams will not be put into force for this tournament I think we may see a lot of "retirements" if players are not in agreement with playing at that time. I also think the UEFA countries may adopt the MLS model of taking a break for the group stage and then jumping back into league play. Thus FIFA handing the World Cup rights to 2026 early without bidding on them. Amazingly, this is getting a lot of press but the issues with Russia's stadium delays are hardly discussed in the US. They are cutting out stadiums and reporting delays that may continue right up until the Confederations Cup.

Walker has a point. Ivan's economy is imploding and will be completely cratered by 2018. Of course World War Three will likely have erupted before then, so....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 3 weeks later...

bumping again

looks like the 2022 World Cup is going to be in November/December.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2356570/fifa-approves-winter-world-cup-for-qatar-in-2022sets-final-for-dec-18

i think Fifa just ended the World Cup as we know it.

Good. The sooner FIFA implodes the sooner we can get back to focusing more on the sport and less on the corrupt asshats running the sport.

• Like 1

FIFA is anti-American, I hear that the 2026 World Cup will be in North Korea.

FIFA is many things. Anti-American is not one of them. FIFA was openly praising the US ratings for the last World Cup.

Yes.

They hate America so much that they hate Coca-Cola, VISA, and McDonald's.

http://m.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/index.html

Only one of the three 2nd tier partners who left FIFA in January was US-based, Johnson & Johnson. The other two were BP (Castrol brand) and Continental Tire, a German company.

Unless major federations legitimately pressure not participating (and follow through on it), this train of BS will chug right along...just bail and organize your own tournament already.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Unless major federations legitimately pressure not participating (and follow through on it), this train of BS will chug right along...just bail and organize your own tournament already.

Which is what baffles me. They bitch about FIFA constantly, AND they hold all the cards. Why they don't just do an end run around FIFA I'll never know. They talk about it all the time, the fans seem to want it, their players won't care as long as they keep getting paid... so replace them already. FIFA is literally at the mercy of the confederations and yet the confederations continue to kowtow to corrupt lunacy.

• Like 1

They aren't anti-American, but they're pro-bribery.

They're also pro slavery which I think supersedes everything.

I'm generally not a fan of baycotting events. I don't think the US boycotting the Moscow games did anything. Likewise with them boycotting the '84 games. But this may be the most disgusting sporting event since the time of the Roman Gladiators. This event shouldn't be boycotted so much as it should be condemned.

• Like 1