Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1982 Regular Season)

3,977 posts in this topic

I like the new logos and the lighter color change. The colors remind me of the Whalers back in the day.

Well, my prediction was very, very wrong. I love the new look though, blue and green is such a good color combo.

Also, am I the only one who didn't realize the Autodome had a logo until looking at the field?

I'm getting a big Jets vibe from this rebrand. My prediction is they'll slightly update (one of the first BFBS teams?) in the early 90s, and then return to their classic look in the late 90s-early 2000s.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:28 PM, ~Bear said:

Not a huge fan of the new striping on the jerseys but I like the brighter colors. Surprised with the decision to get rid of the laurel wreath around the primary, but it showcases the swords better. 

Mainly looking forward ward to seeing what happens to Buffalo. I can see a good brand (especially in the 90s) for the New Jersey Sharks. 

I had originally planned to give the shoulder stripes a thin outline (white on the home jersey, green on the away), but I thought it looked too modern and removed it.

Detroit-Gladiators-1982-Uniform.png

The Stampeders/Sharks will come last, after the 1982 offseason news.

18 hours ago, cubsfan2015 said:

I like the new logos and the lighter color change. The colors remind me of the Whalers back in the day.

That is where I drew the colors from.  The spreadsheet that I use to track the rosters uses team colors to make it easier to read, but in the case of Detroit, it was pretty difficult to do so with the old color scheme.  Actually, that's also part of the reason that the Krewe are getting an update this year (though their logo has long been one of my least favorite in the league, and I've been working on improving it for nearly a year).

13 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Well, my prediction was very, very wrong. I love the new look though, blue and green is such a good color combo.

Also, am I the only one who didn't realize the Autodome had a logo until looking at the field?

The change to the Krewe is a bit more dramatic, particularly to the uniform.

As for the Autodome logo, I never presented it in its own post.  The only time I've ever shown it is when I originally posted the fields.

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm getting a big Jets vibe from this rebrand. My prediction is they'll slightly update (one of the first BFBS teams?) in the early 90s, and then return to their classic look in the late 90s-early 2000s.

Actually the Jets were my inspiration for Houston's update last season.  My main inspiration for this one was the Chargers.  I sort of figured that the fans would generally prefer the white helmet, but it would take the team decades to switch back.

The new Glads set is nice! Very bright compared to what they had. My favorite pieces are the font you chose, and the striping on the uniforms. I'm also glad another white helmet bites the dust at least for now. I thought there were to many in the league. I'm excited to see what you came up with for the krewe! 

Seeing Detroit's new look and it's certainly an update and then you say the Krewe update will be even more radical. Maybe the return of two-tone pants is possible?

Can't wait to see the Krewe redesign! Introduction of a new color? Oversized logos on the sleeves? A yellow jersey? The suspense of change is part of what makes this concept of yours a true work of art.

Maybe have the helmets painted to look like jester hats. Will the Centennials get a pre-season redesign, if possible have their alternate away jerseys be red or change the away pants to red.

10 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Maybe have the helmets painted to look like jester hats. Will the Centennials get a pre-season redesign, if possible have their alternate away jerseys be red or change the away pants to red.

I don't see the Krewe with a helmet like that. It's 1982, so that's not really what teams were doing at that time. I think there will be a de-emphasis on either the green or the purple though, and possibly a colored helmet. If they were going to do something different, I could see a split colored helmet, with a different color on each side.

10 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Will the Centennials get a pre-season redesign, if possible have their alternate away jerseys be red or change the away pants to red.

I'm going to take a guess and say this is the look the Cents will stick with for a while. They started to be very successful once they switched to the new set, so it's more than likely sticking around.

10 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I don't see the Krewe with a helmet like that. It's 1982, so that's not really what teams were doing at that time. I think there will be a de-emphasis on either the green or the purple though, and possibly a colored helmet. If they were going to do something different, I could see a split colored helmet, with a different color on each side.

I could see the Krewe dropping the logo from the helmet, changing the helmet color to purple, single green stripe, yellow numbers on the helmet. Maybe a white facemask?

I intended to post again sooner, but it's been a rough week at home, with a sick, teething baby; two surgeries in the family (both went well); and my cat went from apparently being perfectly healthy to having to be put down over a period of two hours.  But with this dumpster fire of a week now in the rearview mirror, I am most definitely ready to move on here.

On 2/14/2017 at 5:28 AM, officerpain138 said:

The new Glads set is nice! Very bright compared to what they had. My favorite pieces are the font you chose, and the striping on the uniforms. I'm also glad another white helmet bites the dust at least for now. I thought there were to many in the league. I'm excited to see what you came up with for the krewe! 

Yeah, the predominance of white helmets in the league is something that I've noticed as well, and tried to correct.  I suspect that it's a subconscious result of the fact that I'm a Colts fan - I like their uniforms, and so I unintentionally emulate them more frequently than I intended to.

On 2/15/2017 at 11:25 PM, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Maybe have the helmets painted to look like jester hats.

No, though I did spend a lot of time working on a logo that was a football helmet with a jester hat on top.  Couldn't make it work, though.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:23 AM, Asterix777 said:
On 2/15/2017 at 11:25 PM, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Will the Centennials get a pre-season redesign, if possible have their alternate away jerseys be red or change the away pants to red.

I'm going to take a guess and say this is the look the Cents will stick with for a while. They started to be very successful once they switched to the new set, so it's more than likely sticking around.

Yeah, the Cents won't be changing their look anytime soon.  They likely will get a red alternate someday, but it's still too early for alternate uniforms to be a thing.  It will be at least another 10-15 years before their set includes a red jersey.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:41 PM, DNAsports said:

I could see the Krewe dropping the logo from the helmet, changing the helmet color to purple, single green stripe, yellow numbers on the helmet. Maybe a white facemask?

Well, you're right that the helmet is where I was focused.  Incidentally, here is the new look for New Orleans:

Old Logo:

1966_new_orleans_krewe_visual_identity_by_verasthebrujah-d8j9u46.png

New Logos:

1981_new_orleans_krewe_by_verasthebrujah

The New Orleans logo has been one of my least favorite in the league for a long time.  I'd say that it may be second only to the Portland Dragons in the amount of time that I've put into it, only to never be happy with anything that I've produced, but that changes now.

The primary keeps the traditional jester face, but it now looks more like a clown than the mask that it's always been modeled after.  The modified their color scheme to be lighter and more vibrant (just as Detroit did).

The secondary logo, which will see a lot of use, references the city's nickname:  Crescent City.  The wordmark is largely unchanged, other than the way that it is presented on certain color backgrounds.

Old Uniform:

1978_new_orleans_krewe_uniform_by_verast

New Uniform, including 3 helmet options:

new_orleans_krewe_1982_uniform_helmet_op

For the first time, the Krewe will regularly wear color at home, as they adopt a green primary jersey.  The uniform includes a shoulder patch featuring the alternate crescents logo.

I'm not quite sure what I want to do for the helmet.  The bottom option was my original plan (and why I said that New Orleans was making a somewhat radical change).  The Krewe have always been a kind of weird team, and going to a winged helmet would certainly fit that.  They did wear green and yellow winged helmets in the 1940s, before they joined the AFA, so it's not totally unprecedented for them, but they would be the first AFA team to wear one since the leather helmet era.

The middle option is more consistent with what they've been wearing.  It's certainly the simplest, but as @officerpain138 pointed out - there are an awful lot of white helmets in the league.

The top option is simply what @DNAsports suggested.

Personally, I prefer the winged helmet, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

I like the 1st helmet. Idk if its just me but im just not a fan of the winged helmet.

I kinda feel like the Winged helmet needs a thicker Yellow outline, it feels too small to me. The new jester look is..kinda creepy to me. I like the first helmet too, but I'd think the helmet numbers would need to be bigger. I would love to see a purple shell too.

Creepy was a goal with the new logo.  Actually, I toned it down quite a bit.  This was one of my first attempts at it.

Krewe-Rough-Draft.jpg

Note that this was a very early draft, and there are many reasons why I didn't use it - I was more or less tacking other images together to see if this was a direction in which I wanted to go, but very little of it is really mine - for example, the hat is clip art and the nose is from the original Tampa Bay Buccaneers logo. 

and that Clown isn't creepy. That's down right terrifying, even though I get the Bucs vibe from it.

The winged helmet, with a thicker outline, would be great. A nice nod to history while not being too much of one for the era.

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the new clown logo.  Goes with the team's vibe (if you're not from NOLA, you'll be creeped out-that's the idea).

As for the helmet, I would go with a mixture of options 2 and 3...any ways you can make the "winged" look more like the jester's hat would be great.  (Or have one side of the helmet be purple, one side green with a gold stripe in the middle)

What if you were to have the helmet stripe split half way almost 3/4ths of the way down the back of the helmet. Have the left side be green, the right side be purple, and the "triangle" from the split stripe be yellow? It would be a way to simulate the jester hat. It's a crazy idea for a helmet, but I think it could work for New Orleans.

Also, yellow does seem a bit underused. Maybe have a yellow helmet? You could still use the wing helmet, but swap green for yellow, purple for green, and yellow for purple. If I'm not mistaken, Washington and San Diego have gold helmets, but they are not as yellow as the yellow New Orleans uses.

I really like the winged helmet idea; I thought that's where you might have been going for the Krewe. I do think the yellow on the helmet is a bit understated, but I don't think the lack of yellow overall is a problem. I think I'd rather see them embrace the green and purple given how unique of a color scheme that is. Looking good as always.