Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1983 Los Angeles Comets)

4,046 posts in this topic

Just seeing all this discussion about the Krewe now is making me think what the uniforms will look like the next time they are redesigned. The 90's are going to be a fun, fun time.

I hope that the Krewe wear teal and purple with the unnecessary black in the 90s so bad.

I see them changing yellow to a shiny gold personally. 

On 2/19/2017 at 8:37 AM, Veras said:

0000000.jpg

This helmet is fantastic. It could be the Expos pinwheel hat of its time/universe. I think it's the best option you have, personally. 

3 people like this

The Krewe wearing white socks with stripes at home in their new look kinda reminds me of those early Raven teams...

steelers-ravens-1997-eric-green-donnell-

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎18 at 10:57 PM, Veras said:

1981_new_orleans_krewe_by_verasthebrujah

Your secondary logo almost reads like an N with an O inside, but I think it gets muddied with the addition of the third crescent (the yellow one).  Have you ever though of just making it a filled-in circle to further accentuate the purple and green crescents?  Just a thought.

And tricolored winged helmet all the way!

Krewe-Rough-Draft.jpg

On 2/19/2017 at 0:49 PM, aerodynamix said:

The logo above that you put together is pretty awesome. In all honesty, if I was in your shoes, I'd save this logo (with your original tweaking and reworking) for a potential update in the late-1990s or early-2000s.

On 2/19/2017 at 1:16 PM, ~Bear said:

^That logo above is perfect for a more modern rebranding. 

I do expect them to switch to a logo like that in the 2000s or 2010s.  They might also take an intermediate step sometime in the 1990s and do something way weirder looking, possibly going a more cartoony route to get the creepy vibe.  Then again, this has been one of the more difficult teams for me from the beginning, and what I've ended up doing for them has rarely resembled my original plans, so who knows what might happen.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:26 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

The new Gladiators look feels like it's a nice update, but I'm not sold on the arms either. I like the idea of emulating swords, but they don't look like swords gladiators would use, but rather cheap green & blue toy swords. I feel the Gladiators should drop green entirely and use Silver along with Navy as the primary colour scheme. 

Can you clarify what you mean?  The shape that I used for the swords is a fulham gladius.  How would you prefer to see it changed?

On 2/21/2017 at 11:57 PM, neo_prankster said:

The Krewe wearing white socks with stripes at home in their new look kinda reminds me of those early Raven teams...

I can definitely see it.  That wasn't my inspiration, but I really like the look.  In fact, just off the top of my head, the Gladiators and Hurricanes have both recently adopted similar patterns on their socks.

On 2/23/2017 at 1:28 PM, Moser316 said:

Your secondary logo almost reads like an N with an O inside, but I think it gets muddied with the addition of the third crescent (the yellow one).  Have you ever though of just making it a filled-in circle to further accentuate the purple and green crescents?  Just a thought.

That is an interesting thought.  I could do something like like this:

NOKreweAltAlternate.jpg

But I don't really see it as an upgrade.  I don't know, what do you guys think?

On 2/20/2017 at 0:04 PM, officerpain138 said:

The Krewe has always been my least favorite. I love the colors though, reminds me of one of my favorite movies, the mighty ducks. Mixing those three colors is tough, they go well together if executed correctly. The jersey sets are fine, I personally would go purple pants with the green jersey but that's me. And the helmet, I like the winged just don't know if it fits the Krewe. My problem is I associate the winged helmet with the wolverines, a fierce clawed animal. So the helmet reminds me of their claws. The krewe is a clown. Not really that fierce. Creepy, but no claws. Maybe adjust the winged helmet design a bit to make it more jester like. And i know I'm alone when I say I don't like the split helmet of one side purple, one side green. But that's my opinion. I think you are on the right track, just a little tweaking here and there. 

On 2/20/2017 at 0:21 PM, eick74 said:

I like the winged helmet but think it could be tweaked to make it more jester like. Instead of the 3 stripes meeting at the end, have the side stripes drop down and maybe instead of the stripes going all the way to the helmet's edge, end them short with a bell or tassel shape (whatever is at the end of the jester's cap).

On 2/20/2017 at 2:06 PM, DNAsports said:

Piggybacking off this:

Do LA Rams-esque with the stripes

On 2/20/2017 at 5:07 PM, officerpain138 said:

You know, that is a neat idea! I would be curious what that would look like. In my head I think it would work. Executing it could be a different story.

I really like the sound of that idea, but as @officerpain138 predicted, the execution was tough.  After spending most of the past week working on it, this is what I've come up with.

More NO Helmets.png

I don't particularly care for either, so unless one of these is surprisingly popular, this is the final version of the Krewe for 1982:

1982_new_orleans_krewe_uniform_by_verast

The next post should be the offseason news, and will hopefully be up tomorrow (there is one storyline that I'm having difficulty conveying clearly and concisely, but hopefully that will be resolved tonight).  This will be an eventful year, with an unsurprising relocation, an incredibly eventful draft, a shakeup on the QB carousel, and controversy in the league office.

1 person likes this

Call me crazy... But I like where you are going with the mix of the rams/winged helmet. The bottom version I like better than the white helmet. I would do a purple helmet, gold stripe with the "bells" being green. With a green jersey and purple pants I think it would look pretty sharp! You could even incorporate the winged look on the logo of the clown. You put the winged look on the ends of the bottom of the hat where it meets the clowns head, I think it will bring everything together. But this could be me talking crazy on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a teething baby!

1 person likes this

That white helmet. I love it. It looks sleek, fun & creative. It feels like Rams/Bengals mash-up & they'll never need to change helmets after this. EVER. Albeit, I bet that will be a unpopular opinion. 

Also, it's not so much the shape of the Gladiators shoulders as it was the colours for me. And now that I've looked at it again, it's not as bad as I thought & looks fine. Sorry. 

2 people like this

Top helmet is the one I like best...VERY unique style which is an homage to various traditional ones...plus combined with the white shell it pays homage to the history while making way for the future.

Make it the top helmet, please...then you'll NEVER have to change it again.  (Seriously, THAT is a stroke of genius).

1 person likes this

That helmet might not work for 1982, but it might work for say....1997?

EDIT: Who am I kidding, that white helmet fits perfectly for the Krewe. It's gaudy as all get out, but it wouldn't be the New Orleans Krewe if it wasn't gaudy.

1 person likes this

The white helmet is definitely the better of the two. As said by a few already, going that route would led to never having the need to change the helmet.

2 people like this

Love the white helmet, it suits the brand perfectly. I like what you went with too though, in fact that one's still probably better for 1982. Maybe it could evolve into the white one in a few years? 

1 person likes this

Man, that white helmet looks good. Maybe it belongs further down the line, but don't give up on that idea. Beautiful.

I'm half expecting someone to pull a Baltimore Colts-style move in addition to the "unsurprising relocation" just to mix things up. You never know what drama may unfold in the AFA...

3 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I'm half expecting someone to pull a Baltimore Colts-style move in addition to the "unsurprising relocation" just to mix things up. You never know what drama may unfold in the AFA...

My bets are on the Baltimore Royals doing this. I believe the lease is up after this season or the next on their stadium. Maybe they're coming home?

Speaking of which, can we see what the stadium situations are like going into this season again?  

The white helmet for the Krewe looks phenominal! Definitely use it for 1982 and beyond

5 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Love the white helmet, it suits the brand perfectly. I like what you went with too though, in fact that one's still probably better for 1982. Maybe it could evolve into the white one in a few years? 

I respectfully disagree; every element on that goes far back to the early 20th century...the Krewe would simply take the next logical step of combining them all in the day.

Also, I think Veras wants a "forever" helmet for as many teams as he can...this is it.