Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1983 Postseason - Quarterfinals)

4,112 posts in this topic

Also, noticed an interesting quirk, the Royals are playing Kansas City in the playoffs. 

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Also, noticed an interesting quirk, the Royals are playing Kansas City in the playoffs. 

If only the Angels were playing Los Angeles and the Suns were playing Arizona the same week.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Veras said:

If only the Angels were playing Los Angeles and the Suns were playing Arizona the same week.

but the Angels play in Anaheim

2 people like this

Alright, Jersey didn't suck! Now all that's left is a miracle Victory Bowl run...

I just realized how much parity was in the AFA this year. 4 teams went 9-7 and they all missed the playoffs, how often does that happen?

Speaking of which.... I know the Krewe are no longer contenders, but is there hope in sight for us after a 4-12 season? Where exactly do we need the help? Is there a stud QB in the draft? 

One other thing: was there ever an update of the Krewe banner done? 

7-9 for my Wolves...you know what, we can build on that.  The GLORY DAYS are yet to come...

sweeeeet! Great to see the Guardians building off of last season! Also, the Victory Bowl Logo is, as always, on point. It adds nice variety from years past and builds on the league brand and fits the era.  And way to fit the roman numerals in there btw.

18 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I just realized how much parity was in the AFA this year. 4 teams went 9-7 and they all missed the playoffs, how often does that happen?

It's hard to answer that question.  This was only the AFA's third season on a 16-game schedule, but so far, only one team has qualified for the postseason on a 9-7 record.

Actually, I've noticed that the league has had a bit too much parity over the past few years.  I tried to address it this offseason by spreading out the team ratings a bit, but I apparently didn't go far enough.  Team winning percentage correlates much more strongly with the team rating than with the total of their rolls, which means that I must have the bell curve of team ratings too tightly packed.

17 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Speaking of which.... I know the Krewe are no longer contenders, but is there hope in sight for us after a 4-12 season? Where exactly do we need the help? Is there a stud QB in the draft? 

One other thing: was there ever an update of the Krewe banner done? 

The Krewe need help pretty much everywhere, but QB is the biggest problem.  The good news is that they've had some solid drafts over the past two years, but they have a lot of room to improve.  Ron Murray (TE - Rhode Island) was a particularly good steal with the 45th overall pick.  He narrowly missed the All-Star Bowl as a rookie, and could have a dominant career.  Quarterback is their biggest problem, though.  Randall Smith is improving slowly, but he is one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.  The fact that he held a starting job off and on for the five years that he has been in the league is a testament to how terrible the past several drafts have been at the position, but that has turned around now.  The 1983 draft had arguably the best quarterback class ever, and 1984 may be good enough to top it.

There are two absolute superstars - Dave Talbott (Georgia) and Donny Minor (Texas), and they couldn't be more different.  Dave Talbott is an outrageously agile scrambler who is deceptively fast.  He's also the more experienced of the pair, having started three seasons for the Bulldogs.  Donny Minor is a southpaw who doesn't look like a quarterback, being closer in size to a tight end or maybe even a small offensive lineman, and he'll be one of the slowest players in the league.  However, he has phenomenal touch and arm strength, and is a great locker room presence.

New Orleans will have the number one pick, and it's a tossup between the two.  Minor, who grew up in Cape Girardeau, MO, has publicly encouraged his childhood favorite St. Louis Aces to trade up from third overall to take him, but this doesn't appear to have hurt his draft stock.

It's also worth noting the depth of this draft at the quarterback position.  Last year, four quarterbacks went in the first round.  This year could easily top that.  Perhaps even more impressive is just how good the second-tier talent is.  A season ago, Miami happily took Bob Obradovic (QB-Washington) with the third overall pick.  If Obradovic had entered the AFA a year earlier, he would have been the top quarterback selected.  In reality, he was the second passer taken, behind USC's John Lewis, who went to Detroit at number 2.  If he had entered this draft, he may have fallen out of the first round.  In addition to Minor and Talbott, who certainly would have been chosen in front of him, he could fall below Therron Nikoloudis (Miami), Carl Joiner (UCLA), Dan Rinehart (Nebraska), Michael Turek (Alabama), and Bobby Golston (Virginia Tech) could all be better than he was.

As for the sig - I haven't made one yet.  I'll add it to my to-do list.

16 hours ago, MBurmy said:

7-9 for my Wolves...you know what, we can build on that.  The GLORY DAYS are yet to come...

It was definitely a positive step forward.  Noah Rose finished a distant second in DROY voting behind Miami's pass rusher Allen McCarty.  QB Ray Oram didn't improve as much under Motta's tutelage as the team hoped, but we'll see what happens.  The only bad news is that CB Knight Roberts may be done.  This was his 13th year in the league, and only the second in which he didn't make the All-Star Bowl, but age has clearly caught up with him.  He was average this year, and will be 37 on opening day next year, so a franchise legend is likely to ride into the sunset.

12 hours ago, Red-Knight said:

sweeeeet! Great to see the Guardians building off of last season! Also, the Victory Bowl Logo is, as always, on point. It adds nice variety from years past and builds on the league brand and fits the era.  And way to fit the roman numerals in there btw.

Thanks.  This is definitely my favorite VB logo so far.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:26 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

Was bored; did some research: In the 10 seasons that the NFL playoffs included 10 teams and went a full 16 games (1978-1981, 1983-1986, 1988-1989), 39 teams finished within a half game of 9-7 (either 9-7, 9-6-1, or 8-7-1), and 18 of them made the playoffs. Fun anomaly: no team finished with any of those three records in 1985. I did not include the 1982 season, in which the season ended after 9 games due to a player strike and featured a 16-team playoff tournament. I also left out the 1987 season, which also featured a player strike, resulting in one week of games being cancelled and three weeks being played by replacement players, which seemed to dramatically increase parity, as 15 of the league's 28 teams finished between 6-9 and 9-6.

It is important to note that the AFA has slightly different seeding rules than the NFL. However, only 3 9-7 teams would have bumped a better team out of the playoffs under AFA rules: the 9-7 New York Giants earned the 5 seed in the NFC in 1981; under AFA rules, the 10-6 Denver Broncos would have made the playoffs instead. In 1989 this happened twice, as the Houston Oilers and Pittsburgh Steelers claimed the AFC's two wildcard spots at 9-7 while the Washington Redskins and Green Bay Packers finished 10-6. Ultimately, this means that if the NFL played under AFA rules, 15/39 of these teams would have made the playoffs, compared to 1/12 in 3 seasons in the AFA.

Sorry for nerding out, but I like weird statistics like this.

Ok So I have not been on this website for like a year but I wanted to get back into following the AFA daily again. Is there any place where I could find the standings and results for each season on one page because I know it would take like three hours to go read back all the years I missed ( last season I remember was the 1967 season).

83r1g1BALvsKC.png.f8f1498469bc14ff6a6712e5881179aa.png

This wasn’t widely considered to be a particularly exciting matchup as neither side was considered to be a serious contender, but the game was full of big plays, and produced one of the best highlight reels of the season.

The excitement started just five minutes into the game when Crows LB Rick Ortega tipped a Derrill Punch pass at the line.  The ball sailed through the air and landed in the hands of rookie CB Terry Coleman who sprinted 42 yards into the end zone to give Kansas City an early lead.  Six minutes later, Coleman made another big play, grabbing his second interception of the day at the Baltimore 24.  The Crows would settle for a field goal, but by the end of the first quarter they had two takeaways and held a 10-0 lead.

Baltimore got on the board midway through the second with a field goal of their own, but they came out of the locker room on fire after halftime, and put together what was arguably the best quarter by one team in AFA postseason history.  They found the end zone on their first drive of the second half when WR Audwin Lee finally beat Terry Coleman for a 13-yard touchdown to tie the game at 10.  On Kansas City’s second play from scrimmage on the ensuing drive, MLB Adrian Doom slipped through the line and punched the ball free from the grasp of RB Larry Ambrose.  Both teams scrambled for the ball – in the struggle it was batted back from the KC 23 to the 14 before Royals SS Brad Cook fell on it.

Baltimore took advantage of the short field, going up 17-10 on a 1-yard run by Jim Ingles.  On the ensuing possession, the Crows again turned the ball over, this time on an interception.  QB Greg Benham delivered a perfect strike to WR Jerry Becka, but Becka didn’t make a clean catch, juggling the ball as he tried to gain control and allowing CB Mark Thornley to rip it out of the air.  Thornley made it back to the Kansas City 22 before being taken down, and once again Jim Ingles converted the takeaway into a touchdown.

The Crows took the field having watched a 10-3 lead turn into a 24-10 deficit in just 7 minutes, but things would only get worse.  After finally making some progress on offense, LT Mitch Kirkbride blew his assignment, allowing RE Joe Oldham by completely untouched.  Oldham laid a crushing blindside hit on Greg Benham, and then covered the resulting fumble.  Baltimore scored yet another touchdown with just 2:03 remaining in the quarter when Derrill Punch found TE Dan McClure in the end zone from 9 yards out.

Greg Benham deserves a tremendous amount of credit for his performance over the final 17 minutes of the game.  He would later be diagnosed with a torn abdominal muscle that he suffered as a result of the Oldham hit, but he played through the pain and almost single-handedly clawed the Crows back into contention.  He led two touchdown drives, going 13-15 for 151 yards (with the only two incompletions coming on drops), and he twice found WR Mike McCoy in the end zone.  Consequently, with 7:35 left to play, Baltimore got the ball back while holding onto a 7-point lead.  Sadly for those hoping to see a comeback, the following drive would break the back of Kansas City.  A 35 yard pass interference penalty by Terry Coleman set Baltimore up deep in Crow territory, and Jim Ingles would go on to score his third rushing touchdown of the day.

Trailing 38-24 with 4:33 to play, Benham managed to lead a drive deep into Baltimore territory, but he ran out of magic when a 4th and 6 pass went off the fingertips of Jerry Becka.  The Royals ran out the clock, and earned a spot in the Quarterfinals.

83r1g2PITvsNJ.png.48a9905bed54f5496e36691aa044df90.png

The second game of the day, which had been more highly anticipated, didn’t produce nearly as many big plays.  Throughout most of the first quarter, the game was a battle for field position, with each team repeatedly punting.  It took just over 11 minutes for either team to get on the board when Pittsburgh took a 3-0 lead with a 40 yard Pat Wilson field goal.  The fans were immediately silenced, however, when Sharks kick returner Greg Jordan found a seam on the ensuing kickoff and took it 103 yards into the end zone.

From there, the game returned to a brutal struggle for a few yards at a time.  More than 15 minutes went by before either team was able to add points, but a 3 yard run by Bret Rivers with 3 minutes remaining in the second quarter allowed the Sharks to go into halftime up 14-3.

The Miners threatened to score midway through the third, but an errant pass from LaDell Throckmorton to Mike Howell ended up in the hands of LB Mike Richards.  New Jersey put together a long drive of their own, but were stopped at the 3, and hand to settle for a field goal.

It wasn’t until the fourth that the Miners offense finally began showing signs of life.  On the opening drive of the quarter, Sharks QB Dick Katz faked a handoff and took a shot downfield, but Miners SS Jamie Smith wasn’t fooled by the play action.  He streaked across the field, seemingly coming out of nowhere to pick off a ball intended for Frank Veenhuizen.  He made it all the way back to the New Jersey 31 before being forced out of bounds, and two plays later LaDell Throckmorton hit speedster Teddy Smith down the sideline to make the score 17-10.

With under 6 minutes remaining in the quarter, the Miners again pushed deep into New Jersey territory, but on 3rd and 4 from the New Jersey 21, LaDell Throckmorton scrambled backwards to avoid the pass rush, and ended up losing 13 yards after being sacked by LE Bill Cale.  Pat Wilson connected on the 51-yard field goal, cutting the New Jersey lead to 4.

The Miners would get one more shot at the win, and it was once again blown by Throckmorton.  With just under two minutes left to play, he took the snap at his own 44.  Sharks CB Greg Jordan collided with SS Joe Klimczyk, leaving both TE Mike Howell and WR Doug Quinn wide open – and Quinn with a clear path to the end zone.  Instead of targeting either of them, Throckmorton took a shot downfield to Jeffry Dove, throwing into double coverage.  The pass was picked off by CB Jimmy Bernal at the New Jersey 25, and brought back to the 41.  The Sharks never gave up possession.

1983_afa_playoffs_by_verasthebrujah-db9i

AFA Magazine:  Quarterfinals Previews

Guardians of Cincinnati vs Texas Stallions

This is a rematch of a quarterfinals game last season.  The Stallions won the that matchup thanks to a stellar second half performance by RB Kelvin Barker, but this Guardians team is much better than they were a year ago.  Barker isn’t good enough to take them down this time – Guardians win 31-13

New York Imperials vs New Jersey Sharks

This game will take place at the Imperial Coliseum, which is less than 10 miles as the bird flies from the Sharks home stadium in East Rutherford, NJ.  Despite the fact that 22 months ago, most Sharks fans were still Imperials fans, these two teams have already built a vicious rivalry.  The teams split the series this year, but New York is probably the more talented squad.  The Sharks have a more weapons on offense, particularly WR Frank Veenhuizen and RB Bret Rivers, but New York has the biggest one.  Ron Adams is one of the two or three best quarterbacks in the league, and the Imperials boast a much better defense.  Imperials, 23-21.

Atlanta Rebels vs Colorado Centennials

This could be an extremely low-scoring game.  Both defenses have the advantage against the opposing offense, but Atlanta’s cornerbacks outclass the Colorado passing attack to such an extent that it is not difficult to imagine both Rowdy Roudebush or Tony Febbraio (who combined for 6 picks in their final regular season game) going through the entire game without giving up a single reception.  If the Centennials are going to win this game, they will need RB Tom Blitz to be absolutely dominant.  The Rebels get their first-ever playoff win, 13-3.

California Whales vs Baltimore Royals

The Whales and Royals match up pretty well on paper, with a lot of head-to-head matchups between All-Stars.  For example, Audwin Lee, Baltimore’s star wideout, will matchup up against California’s shut down corner Lewis Cashmore.  Joe Oldham, an elite pass rusher for the Royals will spend his day trying to get past Whales LT Larry Hopkin.  In the end, this game will be won by intangibles.  Both of these teams are relative newcomers to the list of playoff contenders.  This is the first time that most of the California players have ever played in January.  Baltimore, on the other hand, made the playoffs last year, losing an emotional game to Detroit and have already notched a tough win against Kansas City this year.  That experience will give the Royals the composure that they need to come away victorious on the road.  Baltimore 20-14.

1 person likes this

My predictions: Cincy, New York, Colorado & California. Just a gut feeling. 

12 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Was bored; did some research: In the 10 seasons that the NFL playoffs included 10 teams and went a full 16 games (1978-1981, 1983-1986, 1988-1989), 39 teams finished within a half game of 9-7 (either 9-7, 9-6-1, or 8-7-1), and 18 of them made the playoffs. Fun anomaly: no team finished with any of those three records in 1985. I did not include the 1982 season, in which the season ended after 9 games due to a player strike and featured a 16-team playoff tournament. I also left out the 1987 season, which also featured a player strike, resulting in one week of games being cancelled and three weeks being played by replacement players, which seemed to dramatically increase parity, as 15 of the league's 28 teams finished between 6-9 and 9-6.

It is important to note that the AFA has slightly different seeding rules than the NFL. However, only 3 9-7 teams would have bumped a better team out of the playoffs under AFA rules: the 9-7 New York Giants earned the 5 seed in the NFC in 1981; under AFA rules, the 10-6 Denver Broncos would have made the playoffs instead. In 1989 this happened twice, as the Houston Oilers and Pittsburgh Steelers claimed the AFC's two wildcard spots at 9-7 while the Washington Redskins and Green Bay Packers finished 10-6. Ultimately, this means that if the NFL played under AFA rules, 15/39 of these teams would have made the playoffs, compared to 1/12 in 3 seasons in the AFA.

Sorry for nerding out, but I like weird statistics like this.

Nice analysis.  I would have done something similar, but it was just too late last night and I needed to get to sleep.

It will be interesting to see how this develops as time goes on.  Obviously, 3 seasons is a pretty small sample size, and there are other variables as well, including the number of teams in the league, the number of playoff teams, the number of divisions (more divisions means more chances for a lower record to qualify), and how the schedule is set.

1 hour ago, NRG X FENCE said:

Ok So I have not been on this website for like a year but I wanted to get back into following the AFA daily again. Is there any place where I could find the standings and results for each season on one page because I know it would take like three hours to go read back all the years I missed ( last season I remember was the 1967 season).

Welcome back.

So, probably the best place to look is on deviantart.  I still post the regular season standings and the postseason playoff brackets there.  The problem that you're going to run into is that, since you stopped following the thread, the story has become more detailed.  Each season is now broken into several posts - one for the offseason, one for the regular season, and one for each round of the playoffs.  I always try to put the regular season writeup on DeviantArt, but none of the others.

One thing that you could do (this is what I always do when I'm trying to check a detail that I cannot find in my notes) is to google something like "History of a Fictional Football League 1968 season."

Failing that, your only option might be to just kind of skim the thread.  There are always graphics that indicate the regular season and postseason rounds (standings or brackets), so you would really only have to pay attention for the offseason posts.  If 1967 was the last season that you read, you'll have 2 years and over 160 pages worth of posts to click through, which would admittedly be obnoxious, but it may be the only way.

Sorry that I haven't come up with a way to streamline the process.  I've made a couple attempts (maintaining a section on the first page that linked to each season and running the AFA history blog) as have @MBurmy and others with the AFA Wiki, but each option is simply too time-consuming to be maintained.

My predictions: Cincinnati vs New Jersey and Atlanta vs California in the semis and Cincinnati vs Atlanta in the championship and Cincinnati wins to hopefully start an 80's dynasty.

15 hours ago, Veras said:

Nice analysis.  I would have done something similar, but it was just too late last night and I needed to get to sleep.

It will be interesting to see how this develops as time goes on.  Obviously, 3 seasons is a pretty small sample size, and there are other variables as well, including the number of teams in the league, the number of playoff teams, the number of divisions (more divisions means more chances for a lower record to qualify), and how the schedule is set.

Welcome back.

So, probably the best place to look is on deviantart.  I still post the regular season standings and the postseason playoff brackets there.  The problem that you're going to run into is that, since you stopped following the thread, the story has become more detailed.  Each season is now broken into several posts - one for the offseason, one for the regular season, and one for each round of the playoffs.  I always try to put the regular season writeup on DeviantArt, but none of the others.

One thing that you could do (this is what I always do when I'm trying to check a detail that I cannot find in my notes) is to google something like "History of a Fictional Football League 1968 season."

Failing that, your only option might be to just kind of skim the thread.  There are always graphics that indicate the regular season and postseason rounds (standings or brackets), so you would really only have to pay attention for the offseason posts.  If 1967 was the last season that you read, you'll have 2 years and over 160 pages worth of posts to click through, which would admittedly be obnoxious, but it may be the only way.

Sorry that I haven't come up with a way to streamline the process.  I've made a couple attempts (maintaining a section on the first page that linked to each season and running the AFA history blog) as have @MBurmy and others with the AFA Wiki, but each option is simply too time-consuming to be maintained.

Thanks I just want to catch up on the important events because just by looking over the past ten pages I can tell this page has come a long way since I was last on in 2015. Plus I have just one more question so has Free Agency been implemented into the league yet or is it players can only move teams by trades/getting cut?

Here's to hoping Reggie Hart wins himself a victory bowl after winning two Dominion Cups in the NFA! 

1 person likes this

WOW! This season was crazy! I am very happy to see the Sharks beat the Miners! But now my two favorite teams have to face each other... Should be an awesome game though to kick up the NY/NJ Rivalry! Hopefully this can be a rivalry like the Devils/Rangers rivalry in the 90's. 

On a side note, the VB Logo also looks great! Can I see a larger pic of it? Great work as always bro! I cant wait to see the results of the quarterfinals!

Disappointing to see the Crows lose, but I have to give Benham credit for (literally) gutting it out. Again though, I was not expecting to have a rooting interest in the playoffs until 1985, so I can't complain about how the season ended.

That being said, I'm thinking that Texas is going to give the Guardians a closer fight than people think, but the three-headed monster that heads the Cincinnati offense is going to be too much in the end

I think Colorado beats Atlanta, actually. Atlanta may have had a great regular season, but Colorado has a lot of recent postseason experience and that is going to count when they need it to count.

The Battle of New York is going to end up with a score that belongs more in the Arena League. Katz versus Adams will be an unexpected show, but the Imperials take some home-field advantage and start pulling away in the second half as the Sharks get stopped like they're criminal scum.

And finally, the most unlikely postseason matchup: California versus Baltimore. I think this will probably be a low-scoring affair. Whales win in a snooze-fest as Cashmore shuts down Lee.

On an unrelated note, when would the Kanter Dome be likely to host a Victory Bowl?