Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1984 Offseason)

4,153 posts in this topic

How was Clevelands draft? Hopefully we can contend soon

i_am_back.jpg

Love the Angels getting a QB, hope the reach pans out. Lots of interesting stadium situations to keep an eye on, especially since they're with a collection of classic teams.

2 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

i_am_back.jpg

Love the Angels getting a QB, hope the reach pans out. Lots of interesting stadium situations to keep an eye on, especially since they're with a collection of classic teams.

No kidding. Once we hit the 90's, there are going to potentially be a lot of teams that would be in a position to move. After all, the 90's is where we started seeing the "Give me a new stadium for free that I'll sell the naming rights to or we'll move" trope being put into play.

So it looks like acquiring Eastern Illinois QB's are a theme in Colorado these days... (sigh?)

Anyways, i was certainly surprised to see JBG moved on, but tell me more about his replacements.  

18 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Are the Sharks carrying over the Stampeders colors or are they getting totally new colors?

Basically.  The specific shades will change a bit, particularly the orange getting a bit lighter.  It should lead to a cleaner overall look.

15 hours ago, CodeG said:

How was Clevelands draft? Hopefully we can contend soon

Cleveland looks pretty good this year.  They spent their top draft pick on LB Mario "Madman" Barreto out of USC.  He's somewhat undersized for a linebacker (in fact, he would likely have been moved to strong safety by almost any other team in the league), but he's tremendously aggressive, and is particularly well known for sacrificing his body to lay down brutal hits on any running backs and receivers who venture into his part of the field.  Injuries and longevity are a concern, but he is a playmaker.

The receiving corps is still pretty weak, as is the defensive line, but they have arguably the best secondary in football, and the thunder and lightning combo of Jose Ortuno and Ezekiel Dogwood in the running game is incredibly difficult to stop.  Given that the Northern Division has been pretty weak recently, the Ghosts are in a good position to head into the playoffs with a good rank.

12 hours ago, Red Comet said:
12 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

No kidding. Once we hit the 90's, there are going to potentially be a lot of teams that would be in a position to move. After all, the 90's is where we started seeing the "Give me a new stadium for free that I'll sell the naming rights to or we'll move" trope being put into play.

And there will be a lot of teams looking for new stadiums in the 90s.  More than half the league will have a lease expire between 1990 and 1999, with four (Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Boston, Detroit) leases running out in 1990 alone.  It could be an eventful decade.

1 hour ago, Asterix777 said:

So it looks like acquiring Eastern Illinois QB's are a theme in Colorado these days... (sigh?)

Anyways, i was certainly surprised to see JBG moved on, but tell me more about his replacements.  

Basically, the Cents front office is gambling that their gameplan doesn't require much out of the quarterback position.  They have one of the league's best defenses, the league's best running back, and the tallest receiver in AFA history.  Hand the ball to Tom Blitz, throw it high and in the general direction of Danny St. Mark isn't an especially difficult role to fill.

And it's probably for the best.  Beltram has failed in St. Louis and Pittsburgh, so he's seen as nothing more than a career backup who can serve as a stopgap starter.  Their rookie, John Vessey (QB - E. Illinois) has a history of crumbling under pressure, but he has some potential as he matures.

Maybe the most interesting thing about them is the differences in their playing styles.  Beltram works with his feet, and most of his career highlights have come while working outside of the pocket.  Vessey, on the other hand, is a statue.  Big, strong, and tall, he will be one of the slowest quarterbacks in the league, but he shouldn't have much trouble fitting into an AFA offense.

The new Krewe helmet looks awesome! The white with this style was executed perfectly! I'm excited to see what the Sharks will look like. I was surprised at the choice for a retractable dome for NJ. Doesn't surprise me though that it doesn't work properly... Maybe the VB will be held here at least once since it will be indoors. Will the field be Auto turf or grass? Also I'm curious what the Imperials and Sharks picked up in the draft. Keep up the great work! 

The field is Autoturf (the roof is stuck closed, grass would be a problem).  A Victory Bowl there is definitely a possibility, but they may be hurt by their proximity to the Imperials.  New Jersey's Exxon Stadium is state of the art, but New York's Imperial Coliseum is one of the league's most iconic stadiums.  Fans love it, players love it, and it has the added benefit of being nearly 25 percent larger (88,143 vs 72,220).  If the NYC area is going to get a Victory Bowl, the Coliseum might make a stronger bid.

As for the draft:  the two teams took different approaches.  The Imperials consider themselves to be the among the league's elite teams, and are trying to win NOW.  They only had 6 picks (in a 10 round draft) due to several moves that they made to trade up and bring in veteran talent.  They're particularly excited about Markus Warner (RB - West Virginia), an undersized speed back who is a kick return threat and a nightmare to cover as a passing target out of the backfield.

New Jersey went all in on improving their defense, which has been the team's achilles heel for quite some time.  They started in round 1 with the selection of Steve Richard (MLB - Clemson).  Richard, who was the defensive captain of Clemson's 1981 national championship team, was passed over by a lot of teams because he's a bit on the slow side, but he is a phenomenal leader.  His teammates would walk into fire for him, and he makes everybody around him better.  He's a lock to start day 1, and it wouldn't be surprising if they start 2 or 3 other rookies on defense on opening day.

Speaking of the Sharks:

Old Logos:

1972_buffalo_stampeders_visual_identity_

New Logos:

1982_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

After debating a color change (most likely to navy and orange), they ultimately decided to keep the red and orange color scheme that they've used for the past decade.  The red is a little brighter and the orange is a bit more yellow, but any casual observer should be able to tell that the new Sharks are the old Stampeders.  There isn't much to say about the primary logo, and I don't really expect it to last past the early 1990s, if even that long.  The secondary features the most unique part of the uniform, which is the helmet, and the wordmark is a simple block font.  All in all, it's not the most exciting set of logos in the AFA.

Old Uniforms:

1978 Buffalo Stampeders Uniform

New Uniforms:

1982_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

The uniform is more unusual.  The team is moving into the New York City area, so they wanted to distinguish their look from the New York Imperials.  They started with the shark face helmet.  This is both meant to make them stand out, and to serve as a nod to their history in Buffalo, where they had a bison horn on their helmet.  The shoulder stripes are meant to look like shark fins.  They eliminated the drop shadow number font, but have a complex, multilayered outline around the new numbers.

2 people like this

Awesome helmets. I can almost see a color change in the 90s to silver and navy/red like the jet fighters that have the shark fins

IMG_1930.JPG

I like the Sharks, EXCEPT the stripe on the helmet. I think without the stripe, the helmet will be more of a faux-shark head.

1 person likes this

Yeah, Jersey's got a team boys!

LOVE the Sharks' design...they can taste that blood in the water!

I know they're keeping it right now...but I was wondering if they'd be open to a color scheme switch in the future?  (Orange and maroon seem unusual color choices for a team called the Sharks)

Love the new Sharks helmet. Considering that they're loading up on defense, I'm thinking they pull a Colorado Avalanche (or Los Angeles Comets) and win the Victory Bowl in their first year there. Either way, next season sounds like it's going to be the most exciting yet. There are so many contenders like New Jersey, New York, San Diego, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and maybe Cleveland might be a dark horse candidate. As for the Crows, I'd say going at least 6-10 would be a promising sign.

Love the Sharks design. Sad to see my stampeders leave but hopefully we can find more success in New Jersey. 

And I think the helmets would look better without the stripe. I love them anyway.

Sharks have to be my favorite update of the offseason so far. 

1) I agree with @Dan O'Mac that you should get rid of the stripe on the helmet. 

2) I totally see this team dropping the red for teal in the 90s, only to have a modernization in the early 2000s. 

Love the new look for the sharks, I hope they eventually change colors but I can see why they did what they did. One thing about the design that confuses me is if you're trying to distance yourself from the imperials wouldn't you want to wear as little red as possible? If so, the red pants seem kind of out of place. Personally I would've gone with yellow or white pants. Also are we going to see a field design for the Sharks?

Keeping the Red & Maroon was a interesting choice for the Sharks, but I love it. The one thing I don't like the shoulder stripes. They seem too modern for a 80's team & stick out from the rest of the design, which is very sleek & classy. I'd rather see the sock stripe used on the shoulders until the mid-90's, where a shark fin design would look/be very 90's IMO. 

Also, I agree about the helmet stripe. Remove that thing. 

Eggplant teal and silver might look good in the 90's similar to the mighty ducks 

1 person likes this

YES!!! I absolutely LOVE New Jersey! Awesome job with the set! I can see this team changing colors though in the future, maybe around the same time as the real life Bucs did. It is an odd color choice for an aquatic themed team to not have some shade of blue, but I think it works for this time period. I agree with pretty much everyone else with removing the stripe. The helmet is excellent and does not need it. I see a bright future with this helmet!

I am excited to see what both NJ and NY do this season. Hopefully NY can keep their QB healthy and make a run at the title. NJ I see them being contenders but unless their now young defense performs really well, I think they have a couple seasons before they get a VB appearance under their belts. But we will see! I cant wait to see what comes next!

3 hours ago, 78oh said:

Eggplant teal and silver might look good in the 90's similar to the mighty ducks 

As a real life Ducks fan who wants them to return those old colors I agree 100%

1 person likes this

Man, I've never commented on this thread before, but sweet lord you're fantastic at designing helmets.